PDA

View Full Version : How do you fight a bigger, stronger opponent?

Yum Cha
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
We're talking a lot about power and strength - elite combat trained athletes and self defense guys.

Its really easy to say you have to be bigger, stronger, better trained and more aggressive.

What do you do when the odds are against you? That was the reason I started MA, is because I needed more of an edge than my Mama and Daddy gave me.

I think we've all done it; how do you deal with someone who is bigger and stronger, maybe even better trained?

Not 'theoretically' but what works practically?

Mobility would be my first cab off the rank.

For me, I act unconfident and run away as much as possible, taking it all in until he gets more overconfident and frustrated, then I turn hard with something I set up and get agro. You know when it works. Yea, nothing is 100%, but.

I know a few of you smaller guys out there live in a world where that's always the case, what's the good oil?

And Coaches Ross and Masterkiller, what works?

My experience has been in successfully beating guys that regularly beat me in the club in competitions. On the street, I've avoided mis-matches but for one monster guy who threw me around in the back of a truck like a rag dolly, but that's not very interesting...

cerebus
11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes, mobility. And superior defensive skills, in other words, make the opponent miss and counter-attack while he's off-balance.

I fought a match earlier this year at a motorcycle club against an opponent who was around 5 or 6 inches taller than me and who outweighed me by a good 50 pounds. He was solid muscle and looked like a Hispanic version of Brock Lesnar. He was also VERY fast and VERY aggressive.

My Tai Chi instructor had trained me in the "empty-body" skills he had learned from one of his instructors, Peter Ralston, and so I was able to use my Tai Chi effectively to make my opponent basically run into my fists repeatedly while making him miss 95% of the punches he threw at me. If I'd tried to stand toe-to-toe with the guy he would have put me in the hospital (he was seriously trying to anyway).

donjitsu2
11-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Cheat:

*Improvise weapons,

*pretend to give up (if that's an option) then surprise attack,

*tell the guy you don't want to fight and when he drops his guard attack,

*yell, "RAPE!"

I'm assuming you have a good reason to fight this guy and it's a real fight (not sparring).

If you're talking about sparring or competition: I've had the most success with simply being faster. I move a lot and take shots only when there is an opening. It's tough fighting someone who is bigger and stronger than you, but it isn't impossible.

Syn7
11-15-2010, 11:33 PM
*yell, "RAPE!"

you know... i never thought of that... you should tell that to kids in school... bullies are usually ****phobic and if you yelled rape while they were picking on you, that may work...

on the other hand, if theres nobody to hear it....

YouKnowWho
11-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Drag his arm and run behind him.

Violent Designs
11-16-2010, 12:40 AM
In competition you can always try to win by point, you know. Don't have to knock them out.

In a street fight, a real fight where you get hurt or he gets hurt.... yeah, I would try to improvise some weapons.

At a certain point, brute force > techniques, even good defense, you may even be faster but if he catches you then it's gonna be a bad night.

This is why I'm so keen on picking up more weapons training maybe some serious FMA and stickfighting, I am smaller than most people and don't want to get into a fight with a 200lb. (which is not even crazy heavy by any means...) very good athlete, even an untrained FIGHTER but just very strong, athletic and fast can still hurt you like no other.

I have my pride but sometimes I will throw it away in the face of insurmountable adversity hehehehe.

goju
11-16-2010, 12:46 AM
1. stick and move

2.if the smaller man has heavy hands that can make a difference too

3.call your bigger friend to help you:D

goju
11-16-2010, 12:51 AM
i saw a steet fight once betwen a smaller and larger gentleman which involved the smaller guy charging at the bigger fellow and kicking in directly in the knee like you would a soccer ball

ther bigger guy dropped down to the ground and the little guy just swung for the fecnes with his fists and it was over,

so that may work sometimes i know frank shamrock reccomended stomping someones knee as the first method of self defense in a street situation.

Frost
11-16-2010, 12:58 AM
if hes bigger stronger and motivated good luck because normally you are in for a beating

in all honestly on the street when is the last time any one saw some one stick and move or try to wear down an opponent?

The best thing i have found is if its going to happen and you cant get away is hit first, hit often and keep hitting until he goes down, distract him put him off guard and then knock him out or choke him out

Eric Olson
11-16-2010, 05:41 AM
You resist them a lot, it works very well.

EO

Violent Designs
11-16-2010, 05:50 AM
You resist them a lot, it works very well.

EO

i don't think you are in a position to talk when you are bigger than 99% of the population. :D

Iron_Eagle_76
11-16-2010, 05:51 AM
The best thing to do is try and play to your strengths. Knees and elbows are your friends, I suggest using them quite often for street fights. Be elusive, use weapons if you have to, try and avoid letting him close the distance, do your best to move in and close the distance on him when you want to.

Honesty, if you are fighting a bigger, stronger, more skilled opponent you are probably going to lose, so either avoid the confrontation or use a weapon. (A good Ka-bar fits nice inside an engineer boot;)

David Jamieson
11-16-2010, 06:42 AM
with a stick, while he's sleeping.

that's the preferred way.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Well, as someone that HAS fought bigger people and no I don't mean a couple of inches bigger and a few pounds I men a foot almost and 100 lbs more, I can say this:
If they know how to fight you are ****ed, period.
If you have a weapon, use it.
Close the gab and take them down if you can ( ground work nuliffies the size and reach advantage a bit, but not the strength one IF he knows how to fight on the ground).
Beyond that, develop your strikes to a point where EVERY strike is full force, full speed and CAN do damage, shooting bears with BB guns is NOT a good idea.
When I fought kyokushin we didn't have weight limits, one guy I fought in Montreal was 6-3 and 255 while I was, at the time, 5-6 and 140lbs.
Yeah, it was a lesson in PAIN.

David Jamieson
11-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Also, don't be a chest puffing guido.

If you ever noticed a guido fight, you'll see it's not a fight at all, it's two guys with a lot of gel in their hair who have obviously abused the crap ut of some tan in a bottle and one of them may be wearing an Olivia Newton John headband... anyway, they will get right up in each others face and query quite loudly "you want some of this, do you?"

They will continue to do this, until an individual named Tommy, who's usually quiet and just works away his days in the pizza shop comes in between them and pushes them apart. then, the guido fight is over a few final epithets are thrown out and everyone goes back to aligning themselves with the douchebag gods.

So, when this starts happening and the guido, or reasonable facsimile thereof is approaching and is close enough, then, as soon as he's close, crack him on the jaw. Do it a couple of times with hard hooks.

works great, make sure you hit really hard though, don't do any of that gauging punch crap, just bomb him. :)

donjitsu2
11-16-2010, 06:52 AM
When I fought kyokushin we didn't have weight limits, one guy I fought in Montreal was 6-3 and 255 while I was, at the time, 5-6 and 140lbs.
Yeah, it was a lesson in PAIN.

That which doesn't kill us...

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 07:24 AM
That which doesn't kill us...

Leaves us bruised and battered !
:D

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Also, don't be a chest puffing guido.

If you ever noticed a guido fight, you'll see it's not a fight at all, it's two guys with a lot of gel in their hair who have obviously abused the crap ut of some tan in a bottle and one of them may be wearing an Olivia Newton John headband... anyway, they will get right up in each others face and query quite loudly "you want some of this, do you?"

They will continue to do this, until an individual named Tommy, who's usually quiet and just works away his days in the pizza shop comes in between them and pushes them apart. then, the guido fight is over a few final epithets are thrown out and everyone goes back to aligning themselves with the douchebag gods.

So, when this starts happening and the guido, or reasonable facsimile thereof is approaching and is close enough, then, as soon as he's close, crack him on the jaw. Do it a couple of times with hard hooks.

works great, make sure you hit really hard though, don't do any of that gauging punch crap, just bomb him. :)

You need to stop visiting Woodbridge.

RenDaHai
11-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Its not much but I often use a technique against bigger guys called KaoShou, it means handcuffed hands....

This technique has many variations, but the one i use is one hand holds the other hand at the wrist, like you might do during a lock. That way if you can get a grab, unless you are really miss matched your two hands are stronger than his one. You can pull him around a bit and hack at his knees and shins with your legs. Used a lot in Chuojiao. YOu can use it to guard (kind of like a shield), grab and even to punch (although it is short range it can be suprisingly powerful, for those of you who practice shaolin this tech is called 'qixing shou' seven star hands).

Its used momenterily. Even though in the moment you only have one hand against his two, you are faster than him, and your one hand is strong.

I 'm not suggesting you hold your hands together the whole time like how they fight against klingons in star trek, but you know, use it selectively. Worth a try in sparring anyway, I have put it to good use a few times.

Again use only in the moment, don't stand there holding your wrist the whole fight...

David Jamieson
11-16-2010, 07:35 AM
You need to stop visiting Woodbridge.

yeah, woodbridge is our own little hamlet of jersey shore.

Is it really possible that an entire demographic is that messed?

Apparently, it is... :p

EarthDragon
11-16-2010, 07:36 AM
I' ve always been a fan of fighting dirty.
if you can throw somethign at him then hit him.
poke them in the eye, kick in the nutzsac use anythign lying around like a stick, brick, throw sand in thier face if your at the beach, use the environment and the weapons it gives you.

bawang
11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
poke them in the eye, kick in the nutzsac use anythign lying around like a stick, brick, throw sand in thier face if your at the beach, use the environment and the weapons it gives you.

u disgust me u have no honor
no honor at all

wiz cool c
11-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Pen in the eye

EarthDragon
11-16-2010, 07:56 AM
bawang
LOL no body ever asks HOW you won the fight.... its IF you won the fight..

bawang
11-16-2010, 07:59 AM
r u saying its ok to bomb brown peopel
anything to win
u sicken me

David Jamieson
11-16-2010, 08:00 AM
bawang
LOL no body ever asks HOW you won the fight.... its IF you won the fight..

tru nuff.

so, pepper spray and a baseball bat and you're good to go.

xcakid
11-16-2010, 09:08 AM
We're talking a lot about power and strength - elite combat trained athletes and self defense guys.

Not 'theoretically' but what works practically?

I typically carry a Glock 22 or a Kimber Ultra Carry. Otherwise I am 42yrs old with bad knees. There is no way I am going in the ring with those guys.

MightyB
11-16-2010, 10:01 AM
practice against the big MoFos.

I'm the smallest guy in both my BJJ and Judo clubs (5'9" 150 lbs). The next smallest dude is 180 lbs. My favorite guy to test my stuff against is 280 lbs, and he's good. I lose a lot, but I don't fear anybody because of size.

---

My first Judo tournament, I was a green belt. There was a black belt. He was in the men's senior division, probably was 40, weighed about 280. He was mostly fat. There were only brown belts close to his weight. No one would compete against him because of his belt. If that happened today. I'd shiai against him even though he outweighs me by 130lbs. If a person dares to compete, then someone should be willing to compete against him... cowards - all of them.

Dale Dugas
11-16-2010, 10:14 AM
I have my S&W 1911 in 45 acp for any and all looking for fights outside of the training hall.

TenTigers
11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
run behind him.

ok. Now it works for me.

Lucas
11-16-2010, 10:53 AM
i agree with sanjuro, if he knows how to fight and has everything physicall on top of you, you are pretty much screwed. unless you have a weapon or means of escape or an upperhand in some way.

for me, as a striker, in any defense situation the knees are always a prime target.

but im also really fast, i know as long as i have an avenue of escape i can outrun most people. especially really big really heavy people.

but if i cant escape and its do or die the first place i go is diplomacy. I dont go around starting ****, so if im in it, i didnt start it i may be able to cool it down with my best weapon. my brain.

that failing try and make your opponent underestimate you and over extend his confidence. , knees, weapons, power, distance, speed, timing and luck. when its time unleash your tiger and fight tooth and nail until you go down or take him down or it breaks up.

Golden Arms
11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I have my S&W 1911 in 45 acp for any and all looking for fights outside of the training hall.

What happens if that fight happens in a federal building, school, concert, any other place where carry is not legal/feasible, or the attacker is determined, carrying a blade and within 25 feet?

Guns are amazing tools, but they are still tools. Just because one has a nice hammer does not make every problem a nail.

Dale Dugas
11-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Knives are not so easy to deal with, you are going to cut, and I have been cut and stabbed over the years.

Take the knife away and down him as quickly as you can.

Or if I have the ability to get out of there, then get out of there and call 911 and explain what is happening.

Tools are great and you should learn to play with as many as you can as you never know what tool will come in handy.

Empty handed defense is not really the way to go if you can drop them with a gun, a club, a stun gun, mace/pepper spray, knives, etc...

Why fight someone when you can remove them from the situation as early as possible and survive rather than risk being injured or killed by some tool?

MightyB
11-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Knives are not so easy to deal with, you are going to cut, and I have been cut and stabbed over the years.

Or if I have the ability to get out of there, then get out of there and call 911 and explain what is happening.

Tools are great and you should learn to play with as many as you can as you never know what tool will come in handy.

Empty handed defense is not really the way to go if you can drop them with a gun, a club, a stun gun, mace/pepper spray, knives, etc...

Why fight someone when you can remove them from the situation as early as possible and survive rather than risk being injured or killed by some tool?

This- if it's on the street. I guess I don't understand the original intent of the thread... is this about being in a kwoon, competition, or bully defense?

MightyB
11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRciaRLI4FM

patience- make them fight your fight- know your strengths and play to them- never fight them head on- keep out of range if possible- don't let them corner you-

TenTigers
11-16-2010, 01:26 PM

That's your best bet. get out of there. Anyone with even a one day's seminar in Kali, you will not be able to take the knife away. You will be a tic-tac-toe game.
Never underestimate a blade.
That being said, the blade is your best bet. I don't need strength or power to cut you deep.
Then again, if you had the ability to get out of there, then you should have done that to begin with.
There is no reason to fight if you can get away.
Period.

Yum Cha
11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Lots of similar thinking about moving to stay safe and capitalising on your opponent's self perception of advantage to get them to make a mistake and give you an opening.

And against most bigger guys, you most likely will have a run-away advantage....

Moving laterally, taking knees, weak points, using big guns, using real guns, knives, ad hoc weapons...

The takedown comment by Sanjuro made me think, it certainly does take away reach, but the strength.... Its one of those 'pay your money, take your chances" kind things, I'd prefer him down, me knee riding or otherwise vacating the area...

Hit first and hard :D:D A perennial favorite.

I learned one thing, that big guys feel pain too. Because of size you sometimes think they are more invulnerable. They are, but only a wee bit...

@Dale - You are our resident behemoth, what gives you trouble?

@ Eric, how bigg'a boy are ya?

Didn't Akibono (sp? the Sumo champ) fight a Gracie and lose?

Yum Cha
11-16-2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRciaRLI4FM

patience- make them fight your fight- know your strengths and play to them- never fight them head on- keep out of range if possible- don't let them corner you-

Nice.... practically classic.

brothernumber9
11-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm short and light weight. alot of short guys that have some heart have a bit of "short man" syndrome, where we posture to show that we won't be pushed around. Unless one of us is a real meat head, this usually is just a gauge to see how committed the bigger stronger person is to making a situation physical.(assuming that "us" short guys have had the experience of being man handled by a bigger, stronger guy at some point in thier life prior). I assume I can speak for most level headed shrimps, in that if there is a way not to fight a bigger stronger opponent, that is the route we will take, i.e. talk it out, leave the scene altogether, kill it with comedy, or last case scenarios, get friends/backup, imporvised weapons, act the super crazy, call the cops on ourselves, etc.
The reality is, if a bigger stronger guy gets a grip of me, I'm likely to be in a lot more troulbe than he is, regardless that I have competetive wrestling experience. Of course there are no absolutes, and there are plenty of big guys who don't have much fight experience just for that fact that they are the "big guy" and people have tended not to start trouble with them, and thusly are liable to get pwned in an altercation.
The bottom line is, if a small dude has a modicum of real life scraps, he won't approach a fight with a mentality of strategy against a "big guy" because most of his fights have already happened against bigger guys. he's just gonna go with what he knows, win or lose.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
You guys keep mentioning staying on the outside, but a bigger guy will have the reach advantage.
Its funny because, in boxing, the smaller guys is taught to get INSIDE.
In wrestling, the same thing.
In judo, the same thing.
Even in MT, you are taught to get inside the big guys reach and clinch and knee and elbow, or at least that is what I remember...

Lucas
11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
ya get outside so you can run away from HULK :p

if he is boxing that reach advantage will be HUGE. you are going to need to enter, unless you are fairly sure you can school him. I still say try to destroy a knee as fast as you can. if you can sweep or throw him you can gain an advantage, you will know if he can wrestle pretty quick. but mainly if you are going to fight hulk, enjoy your ass kicking.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
always an option made famous by Chris Benoit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuIqrSpCuYg

brothernumber9
11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
It's a double edge sword. "inside" us smaller guys can get closer to the optimum of our natural range with punches than a really big or long dude, at least theoretically or logically. But if they grab you, you better hope you got some leverage to resist, or can take a serious slam.
It's all so variable, just like any fer really real ish. That's why I said, it's just what you know, whatever clicks in.

Yum Cha
11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
You guys keep mentioning staying on the outside, but a bigger guy will have the reach advantage.
In judo, the same thing.
Even in MT, you are taught to get inside the big guys reach and clinch and knee and elbow, or at least that is what I remember...

To me, staying outside, means staying outside of his reach, basically dodging and running laterally.
Once you go in, you go in, fair enough. Attacking the attack still applies, unless you just want to escape.

Against me, the littler guys move past me on the side, under my right arm and hit me passing if I'm not careful...

I think we all have a personal gauge of what is a 'bigger" opponent. A big guy may find another guy his same size "big". I knew a little guy that would never step back, bigger the better...

YouKnowWho
11-16-2010, 03:07 PM
ok. Now it works for me.
Since your force may not be strong enough to deal with a bigger and stronger guy (unleass you are a bigger and stronger guy), you will need to find a way to borrow your opponent's force.

When you drag your opponent and running in circle, you force him to make 2 decisions (2 decisions is simplier than many decisions). Your opponent will either comes with you or resists against you (there are other choices but "most" people may not know it). Most time your bigger and stronger opponent will resist against you (strong and big guy will always like to fight force against force), you can then borrow his resistence force and take him down.

Shaking is the best way to make your opponent "tense". When your opponent is soft and not commit on anything, a fast shaking will force him to commit on something. It's the best method to use to against a big and heavy guy. When you shake your opponent, if he yields, you borrow his yielding. If he resists, you borrow his resistence. It will always give you something to work with. The shaking is a "door open" move. It will put your opponent in defense mode. It gives you many opportunities after that.

This princple is demonstrated by my teacher's brother many years ago in this short clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5xXYMObi4o

Lucas
11-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Since your force may not be strong enough to deal with a bigger and stronger guy (unleass you are a bigger and stronger guy), you will need to find a way to borrow your opponent's force.

When you drag your opponent and running in circle, you force him to make 2 decisions (2 decisions is simplier than many decisions). Your opponent will either comes with you or resists against you (there are other choices but "most" people may not know it). Most time your bigger and stronger opponent will resist against you (strong and big guy will always like to fight force against force), you can then borrow his resistence force and take him down.

Shaking is the best way to make your opponent "tense". When your opponent is soft and not commit on anything, a fast shaking will force him to commit on something. It's the best method to use to against a big and heavy guy. When you shake your opponent, if he yields, you borrow his yielding. If he resists, you borrow his resistence. It will always give you something to work with. The shaking is a "door open" move. It will put your opponent in defense mode. It gives you many opportunities after that.

This princple is demonstrated by my teacher's brother many years ago in this short clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5xXYMObi4o

nice post.

Yum Cha
11-16-2010, 05:46 PM

John, it is beginning to dumbfound me. Time and again you cite principles you and I share in our styles, which are apparently so significantly different. Most people don't realise how 'sticky' and grabby Pak Mei is, and focus instead on the striking half of our game. A big part of our attacks are about knocking people over using trips, sweeps, drags, barges, pushes, etc...

Syn7
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
John, it is beginning to dumbfound me. Time and again you cite principles you and I share in our styles, which are apparently so significantly different. Most people don't realise how 'sticky' and grabby Pak Mei is, and focus instead on the striking half of our game. A big part of our attacks are about knocking people over using trips, sweeps, drags, barges, pushes, etc...

and the pushes are absolutely devastating... love em...

goju
11-16-2010, 08:25 PM
In judo, the same thing.

YES THANK YOU! some people think im mad when i say this:D

Drake
11-16-2010, 08:38 PM
In judo, the same thing.

I once got pummeled by a larger boxer type. SR is right. If I hadn't figured out the way to close on him (painful trial and error), he would have kept pummeling me.

SoCo KungFu
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
In judo, the same thing.

Not that I disagree with you cuz this is the general truth. But there's been more than once now I've come across big guys (one was a boxer) that favored fighting in close and I had to find out the hard way. Just sayin, this isn't always the case anymore. Lots of big guys make mince meat of you if you try to get close

Yum Cha
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I know my 55kg Si Hing used to catch me all the time for the liver and kidney suprise...

Syn7
11-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I know my 55kg Si Hing used to catch me all the time for the liver and kidney suprise...

worst KO ive ever felt was a liver shot... its like my legs instantly became someone elses and the pumpkin dance is so different than with head shots... theres no stiffness to it, you collapse straight down, not falling over... hurts like a motherfukcer... never again man... never again...

Syn7
11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
hey if he's huge, and you arent, and you are on the outside and have the mobility to stick and move, why arent you running away???

i find the best thing is to keep back at first and move in and out using your smallness to your advantage... but only to see what he's got, coz you cant finish like that, eventually you gotta enter his range to find yours and stay there till the job is done, or long enough atleast to do real damage before you move out... chances are you will have to hit him more to get the desired effect than you would for a guy ur own size... so in and out, one two, one two, isnt gonna cut it... use that to guage, then make some tough decisions and get it done... or bounce, if you cant win...

in the cage its different... im talking street now...

Violent Designs
11-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I would disagree with clinching a bigger/taller guy in Muay Thai because it is very easy for them to get double neck tie and then knee you to death.

They press the leverage onto you and well, it's just a hassle.

Now if you could do sweeps and hip throws that is a completely different story, I am talking about in sport fighting. :)

Syn7
11-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I would disagree with clinching a bigger/taller guy in Muay Thai because it is very easy for them to get double neck tie and then knee you to death.

They press the leverage onto you and well, it's just a hassle.

Now if you could do sweeps and hip throws that is a completely different story, I am talking about in sport fighting. :)

there are lots of ways for a smaller weaker opponent to break or slip out of the plum... but if you do your job well on the inside, he shouldnt get the chance right... ofcourse fights are never ideal... but the plum isnt a "your totally screwed" position, although as weve all seen it can be devastating...

Violent Designs
11-17-2010, 01:04 AM
there are lots of ways for a smaller weaker opponent to break or slip out of the plum...

yes but you don't want to end up there against a tall guy because he will be able to get leverage and knee you when you can't do it to him.

Syn7
11-17-2010, 01:06 AM
yes but you don't want to end up there against a tall guy because he will be able to get leverage and knee you when you can't do it to him.

forsure, but there is alot you can do... even things as simple as pushing into them, keeping ur hips forward... its no cakewalk, but its do-able... you`ll have to be the more skilled guy in the fight...

Violent Designs
11-17-2010, 01:37 AM
i'm not disagreeing with you... i'm saying fighting a taller guy in Thai boxing, in the clinch is not advantageous for you.

you wanna maintain good (close) distance to box and kick but not get clinched either.

it's just annoying, actually taller ppl have more advantage in Muay Thai than in boxing, IMHO..... kicks make it a pain in the ass.

sanjuro_ronin
11-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Not that I disagree with you cuz this is the general truth. But there's been more than once now I've come across big guys (one was a boxer) that favored fighting in close and I had to find out the hard way. Just sayin, this isn't always the case anymore. Lots of big guys make mince meat of you if you try to get close

Very true also.

sanjuro_ronin
11-17-2010, 06:53 AM
i'm not disagreeing with you... i'm saying fighting a taller guy in Thai boxing, in the clinch is not advantageous for you.

you wanna maintain good (close) distance to box and kick but not get clinched either.

it's just annoying, actually taller ppl have more advantage in Muay Thai than in boxing, IMHO..... kicks make it a pain in the ass.

You're kind of contridicting yourself...
If VS a bigger guy the clinch is not god AND staying outside is not good ( because of the kicking and reach element), what is the option then?

MightyB
11-17-2010, 07:10 AM

You mean like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U051MuKRzSs :D

MightyB
11-17-2010, 07:18 AM
There is no blanket summation for how to fight anybody because everyone fights different. The best you can do is train against people who are the best proxies for who you think you'll be fighting. So, if you fear the big man - train with the big guys. You won't win... at first... but you'll develop tricks to make you competitive, and you'll start to win sometimes. And with that comes confidence. That's the best you can hope for.

Everyone fights different, every time you fight, you take a risk.

goju
11-17-2010, 07:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHsJ1CpuCwk

this is stil one of my all time fav small vs big guy fight:D

ive noticed btw that when alot of bigger guys tend to fight or spar smaller guys they tend to crouch down to their level which kind of helps for the little dude

i know some people reccomend getting low and standing tall in ordinace with the size your opponent but i never did with short guys and never felt like i was punching downward wiht them because i didnt duck down to meet them

Lucas
11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
luckily everyone has a shiny red button.

Violent Designs
11-17-2010, 09:21 AM
You're kind of contridicting yourself...
If VS a bigger guy the clinch is not god AND staying outside is not good ( because of the kicking and reach element), what is the option then?

Well there really IS not great option.

Except for being more skilled or powerful.... if you're shorter/smaller but have more power it helps definitely.

IMHO maintain the close distance, but DON'T let him clinch you, and try to punish with body blows and leg kicks, and set up shots to the head if you can.

Violent Designs
11-17-2010, 09:22 AM
here is Yodsanklai vs. Artem Levin (whos half a foot taller and a lot lankier).

watch how he neutralize the clinch and batter with this kicks. and control the good distance.... always maintaining the close range, but not too close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvuX8m8RzqU

Lucas
11-17-2010, 09:26 AM
your link fu is lacking

donjitsu2
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
I missed one:

Be VERY aggressive. Once you do manage to land a good shot or catch him at the right time pull out all the stops and go ape-****. Many people have a hard time dealing with someone who is very aggressive and unrelenting in their attack - even if they have training.

Violent Designs
11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
your link fu is lacking

i fised it....

Lucas
11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Black bear?

Violent Designs
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
black bear?

that's debatable.

THERE ARE BASICALLY TWO SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT.

Kansuke
11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Drag his arm and run behind him.

Arm-drag, good go-to.

Kansuke
11-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I missed one:

Be VERY aggressive. Once you do manage to land a good shot or catch him at the right time pull out all the stops and go ape-****. Many people have a hard time dealing with someone who is very aggressive and unrelenting in their attack - even if they have training.

Ah, the 'spaz' defense!

Syn7
11-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Ah, the 'spaz' defense!

and ironically, it has merit...

Violent Designs
11-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Now if you're bigger, stronger, meaner AND uses the "spaz defense" then you really got something going!!!!! :D