PDA

View Full Version : Handshake Defenses wtf?

TenTigers
11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
In pretty much every style I have studied that teaches joint locking, there are defenses against a handshake. Now, some of these are still very cool, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why you would want to wreck someone who shakes your hand.
Sure, there are the guys who squeeze your hand really hard, but it doesn't warrant the knees to the groin, finger breaks, wrist breaks, arm breaks, joint locking/breaking throws that were taught.
Sure, the guy may offer his hand and then cheap shot you, but then the technique should include that in the training, i.e. handshake, and punch.
I had a Kenpo instructor give me the best answer so far;
"I dunno, maybe he owes you money.."
What are your views?

David Jamieson
11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Well, I wouldn't say it's a "defense". lol

mooyingmantis
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
In traditional styles of Jujutsu, such as Araki-ryu, something as harmless as serving a guest tea is taught as an assassination technique. Sosuishi-ryu jujutsu has assassination techniques that begin by walking side by side down the street with the intended target. So, attacks from handshakes seem kind of normal to me. :D

hskwarrior
11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah i agree...shaking your hand is grabbing your hand and a way to semi control you. so the old masters would never fully grasp your hand in a shake. it would always be like they don't want to touch your hand. hahaha

TenTigers
11-22-2010, 06:17 PM
when I trained in Hapkido, we did alot of techniques from a handshake, which is funny, because of the Korean method of shaking your hand with the opposite hand under your arm-kinda hard to block the cheap shot...

YouKnowWho
11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
In the old time people wanted to be famous over night. In stead of taking the regular route by competing in tournaments, they tried to defeat old famous CMA masters by suprise. Nobody would care how the fight started. People would only care about how the fight ended.

This is why you should always use 2 hands to shake your opponent's single hand.

Ben Gash
11-22-2010, 06:23 PM
It's a sucker punch attack over here, they shake your hand, then pull you in and hit you with the other.

RenDaHai
11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
There are those people who grab your hand too early, you know they like just grab your fingers and not your hand and then they squeeze really hard, and you can't match them because they have grabbed your fingers not your hand. I hate those guys. I would be tempted to use a handshake 'defense' against one of those ****ers.

David Jamieson
11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
step to the outside a little as you take the hand and you start with an advantage so long as you can evade, dissolve or neutralize whatever incoming there is. And, by making one little maneuver, if it really is a friendly hand shake, then you don't look like you're as batty as randy quaid.

EarthDragon
11-22-2010, 08:47 PM
mooying said it best, any type of touching, or grabbing use dto be considered a threat, so therefore one must be prepared for everything.

It is only in the west that the hand shake is used as a truce. otherwise you bow. without contact....... PS look into their eyes as you bow is also a must

pateticorecords
11-23-2010, 09:23 AM
It is suppose to be for handshake, then immediate sucker punch... seen the handshake/sucker punch done once at a bar in an altercation between 2 drunks, maybe some master of the past had the same experience and the technique was born:D

TenTigers
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
nah, I think the guy just owes you money, or he's the ex BF of your present squeeze.