PDA

View Full Version : winter training

uki
11-25-2010, 01:14 PM
as we all should know(in the northern hemisphere that is), that winter will be here shortly... the celestial event will secure the beginning of a three month period of weather that is most detrimental to all but the most hardy of souls... in anticipation of this exciting event, i am ruminating the endless training possibilities that are soon to come... such as...

training on ice, both with weapons and empty handed forms... making perfect snow circles is always a wonderful alternative to making snow angels. :p

so... what's on the big winter time agenda this year as far as seasonal training goes??? anyone else like to keep the wind from stealing their chi while training out in the blizzards this year?? :cool:

sanjuro_ronin
11-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Used to do winter training all the time in kyokushin, Oyama had a hard on for it and it was passed on through the generations.
Here in Canada we can get some nice -20 or -30 C weather going, with a couple of feet of snow, great for barefooted MA workouts !!
NOT !!
Never got much out of it other then a cold, LOL !
One guy lost a toe to frost bite :p

David Jamieson
11-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Even Buddha came to the realization that asceticism is for the birds. :p

Training outside in the winter could yield you some illness.
I don't see value in it for me really.

Nothing personal, if that's what some people like, so be it.

I"m not interested in training in primitive conditions like rocky 3.
I don't have to and I can train in better conditions and get the same results.

As a Canadian, I don't mind the cold much and have probably made it through more harsh winters than most people here on these boards what with being on the prairies for most of my life where 6 months of the year is 40 below. :p (40 below is the same in Celsius as farenheit)

sanjuro_ronin
11-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I was in Manitoba once, it was -60.
Seriously, WTF ???

bawang
11-25-2010, 01:51 PM
train in winter make u strong and tuff
u guys r cowerds

mooyingmantis
11-25-2010, 02:19 PM
The only winter training I do is winter camping with sleeping bag and tarp. I love it when it gets nipply. :)

Yum Cha
11-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Wow, what a novel thought, having to change your training depending on the season...

I mean, other than short or long pants....:D

David Jamieson
11-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I was in Manitoba once, it was -60.
Seriously, WTF ???

Born and reared in the toba. the coldness is from the massive amounts of ex-girlfriends in the province. :D

Yum Cha
11-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Born and reared in the toba. the coldness is from the massive amounts of ex-girlfriends in the province. :D

If it's hell, and its frozen over, PLEASE let me know, I might be able to get into this girls pants...

Scott R. Brown
11-26-2010, 04:05 AM
The only winter training I do is winter camping with sleeping bag and tarp. I love it when it gets nipply. :)

http://boobsaregreat.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/hard-nipples.jpg

Did someone say nipply?

:D:D:D:D:D

WinterPalm
11-26-2010, 09:53 AM

That's at least 40% of it anyway.
And yeah, but it's also fun to bundle up and go skating on the river or just for a run...makes you tough.

Course I'm escaping to Asia this winter...

David Jamieson
11-26-2010, 10:41 AM
That's at least 40% of it anyway.
And yeah, but it's also fun to bundle up and go skating on the river or just for a run...makes you tough.

Course I'm escaping to Asia this winter...

You gona get in some fights while you're there Dave? Or just drinking pilsners and chillin with the hotties? :D

EarthDragon
11-26-2010, 01:58 PM
great thread Uki and welcome back brother....

being in Buffalo we get lots of lake effect snow... so we must train for these conditions as it takes up 4-5 months of the year.
We do our running through the back lot of our school which is open field of grass and it drifts snow so we find our runs vary between an inch and 3 feet of drifted snow in the same mile.

We also practice grabbing shoving and releasing techniqes on ice. I never want to hear my students say they couldnt defend themselves because it was slippery outside and they lost thier balance....

Yung Apprentice
11-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I live in Florida, where it's 70-75 degrees during the winter. :(

EarthDragon
11-26-2010, 02:28 PM
what part of FLA do you live in? I lived in south florida for a bit and it is not 70-75 in the winter...
I missed the season change and knowing everyone was from where i grew up not that way in FLA not many natives

WinterPalm
11-26-2010, 02:36 PM
You gona get in some fights while you're there Dave? Or just drinking pilsners and chillin with the hotties? :D

We'll see...I'd like to fight. Doing 8 weeks at a camp in Thailand so we'll see what kind of shape I'm in.
And it's a matter of fact that everywhere I go, the hotties come to chill...par for the course.:cool:

Yung Apprentice
11-26-2010, 02:39 PM
ED- Central Florida, about an hour and a half from Orlando. I am originally from as Vegas where it can get in the low 20's to some ppl's surprise, so I was used to cold winters. I've been here in central florida for near 4 years now and never seen it below 40 degrees in this area, and thats usually from cold fronts that are gone in a couple days. On average it's 70-75 degrees in the winters here.

EarthDragon
11-26-2010, 03:40 PM
ahh inland, I miss semyrna beach and wakayvia springs 2 of my favorites near Orlando in FLA but OK no ocean winds and what not. yes the dessert is super cold during the night even in the early and late summer, nothing to hold the heat in. Been to the mohave when it was 107 and went down to 42 at night.

Yung Apprentice
11-27-2010, 04:35 AM
Yep, the desert is a fashionista's worst nightmare.

David Jamieson
11-27-2010, 07:19 AM
We'll see...I'd like to fight. Doing 8 weeks at a camp in Thailand so we'll see what kind of shape I'm in.
And it's a matter of fact that everywhere I go, the hotties come to chill...par for the course.:cool:

8 weeks in thailand? holy crap. lucky stuff.
:)

uki
11-27-2010, 11:06 AM
i have a personal preference to training on ice... most definitely increases stability and balance. there are several great leg exercises where you draw alternating circles with your feet simultaneously, using the "slipperiness" as a form of resistance training utilizing the weight of the body pressing against the ice with the soles of the feet... i am not quite sure if i can say it anymore confusing thatn that...

i also like toying with start/stop and torque inertia while training on ice... carrying firewood out of the snowy woods is also a great form of training - pulling a sled full of logs, loading the truck and hand splitting all winter long!!! YEAH BABY!!!!

dodging snowballs... ;)

EarthDragon
11-27-2010, 11:52 AM
nice Uk, we do the same kinda thing with the ice, I had my students to their 8's on ice solo then with application.. it was a learning expericne for them for sure

uki
11-27-2010, 12:16 PM
it was a learning expericne for them for sureeverything is a learning experience. :)

uki
12-27-2010, 04:49 AM
i say... go and play outside this fine day.

taai gihk yahn
12-27-2010, 05:40 AM
i say... go and play outside this fine day.
been there...done that...shoveled the snow (2x overnite and just now this morning - wifey had to get to hospital and deliver all the little snowbabies ;))
but w 6 y/o boy and Bernese mountain dog in the house, it will ony b a matter of time bef we r back out again...:)