PDA

View Full Version : Air Dummy

hpclub
11-29-2010, 05:50 AM
What are people's opinuions and throughts on performing the dummy form without the use of the dummy? What are the advantages? Do you perform it in a slightly different way because you don't have a solid object to hit. ie you dont have to move around a solid object.

My own personal opinions is that there can be alot gained from performing the air dummy. You could argue that it combines all the training needs from all 3 forms in terms of positioning, use of energy/power, stepping, shifting, encompases all hand and foot techniques. Ontop of that you have the beneft of it being application based.

Performing the air dummy can can properly use full extension of your techniques to release the energy.

Anyway I hope this is a useful thread.

Regards

Buddha_Fist
11-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Training on the dummy gives points of reference to your actions and your positioning. It serves to some degree to train your level of output, the attributes supporting the actions. The problem is that this is limited to specific actions. So when you want to work on attributes in a broader range, you have to do this by other means.

Performing the dummy sequence in the air allows for balanced relaxed actions that can be fully extended. Kind of like shadow boxing, albeit less flexible, as it is following a pre-established sequence. Just another tool...

Eric_H
11-29-2010, 02:43 PM
It also matters what type of dummy you are working against, static, rotating or reverberating.

I haven't found air dummy to be very useful, the reverberating dummy does a good job of giving energy back and the rotating dummy challenges the precision of footwork more.

Were i working with static a dummy only i could see the advantage to it though.

Best

Yoshiyahu
11-29-2010, 02:55 PM
In my opinion if you practice the air dummy i would suggest doing it slow and soft as well as fast and hard. Practicing both ways can help you with muscle and mental memory and programming. Also while doing so slow in the air it allows you meditate on the moves you perform while performing the action. Now some will say it also allows for yin chi develop. I think practing the dummy in the air is akin to practing your punches in the air. You should have a wall bag or heavy bag to do your punches on but practicing in the air provides basic benefit.

Now some people only hit the dummy light or work around it. I personally believe the dummy was designed to conditioned your arms so you can take impact when someone crashes against your arms. So one should practice the dummy hard an bang the wood with force with the use of dit da jow and also practice the wooden evasively with less force to work on technique and accuracy!

IMHO i think the Air dummy is beneficial, Along with that I also believe once you have mastered the form of the dummy you should begin to freestyle on and off the dummy with wooden man techniques!

RedJunkRebel
11-29-2010, 03:07 PM
I think the Hong Jong can be useful for those that don't have a dummy to practice. It can also help you visualize different possibilities for applications. I'd agree that practicing it can help muscle and mental memory and programming. I don't think it's ever too soon to begin practicing on either the mook jong or the hong jong.

sihing
11-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Speaking about Air Dummy form, here's WSL doing just that, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSvmNIQkz_M , you can still see the ging in his actions:)

James

Yoshiyahu
11-30-2010, 02:38 AM
Redjunk rebel that is very clear and concise. I must agree with you!

LoneTiger108
11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
What are people's opinuions and throughts on performing the dummy form without the use of the dummy? What are the advantages? Do you perform it in a slightly different way because you don't have a solid object to hit. ie you dont have to move around a solid object.

In most, if not all lineages, the wooden man is taught as a form, or sequence of sets specifically designed for Wing Chun. Whether you practise the 108 or 116 I would think the Hong Jong is useful as a therapy, but that may be the only advantage. Remembering the sets is half the battle!

I personally wouldn't try to release full power in the air though, just as I wouldn't do that with my fist or legwork.

What really rocked my boat was when I realized that if the wooden man form can be practised in the air, then all the 'air' forms can be practised on the wooden man!

Yoshiyahu
11-30-2010, 10:04 AM
So true and also think of using the bart cham dao as empty hand form where you hands become darting fingers in place of knives. Interesting!

In most, if not all lineages, the wooden man is taught as a form, or sequence of sets specifically designed for Wing Chun. Whether you practise the 108 or 116 I would think the Hong Jong is useful as a therapy, but that may be the only advantage. Remembering the sets is half the battle!

I personally wouldn't try to release full power in the air though, just as I wouldn't do that with my fist or legwork.

What really rocked my boat was when I realized that if the wooden man form can be practised in the air, then all the 'air' forms can be practised on the wooden man!

Phil Redmond
11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
. . . . . . . What really rocked my boat was when I realized that if the wooden man form can be practised in the air, then all the 'air' forms can be practised on the wooden man!
Yip Man taught Hung Jong (air dummy), at first before he gave the plans to William Cheung's brother to have a dummy made.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060717012604/www.springtimesong.com/wcforms4woodendummy.htm
btw,We do the empty hands forms on the dummy.

bennyvt
12-01-2010, 12:57 AM
The air dummy is usefull in learning what you are actually doing when using the dummy. Due to the dummies limits certain moves are (while still using the same energy and mechanics) have to be altered. Easy example the jut sao and punch under the arm in the section thats starts with the three pak sao's. This punch would be done in a fight on top. But as the dummy arms don't move the punch is under the arm. The punch is low to teach elbow control and other things. The distances on the steps are different. The only reason you stop when doing the dummy is your arms contact the dummy. Full steps occur when you use the same force but don't hit anything.
Lots of other ideas but these are the main ones.

LoneTiger108
12-01-2010, 03:57 AM
So true and also think of using the bart cham dao as empty hand form where you hands become darting fingers in place of knives. Interesting!

Yeah! Don't get me started on that one... this whole forum will start having a pop at me again for previously suggesting that SLT itself can be practised with the blades!

Yip Man taught Hung Jong (air dummy), at first before he gave the plans to William Cheung's brother to have a dummy made.
http://web.archive.org/web/200607170...oodendummy.htm
btw,We do the empty hands forms on the dummy.

I had heard stories about that, but wasn't it Koo Sang that was contracted by the Ip Family to produce their wooden men?

Due to the dummies limits certain moves are (while still using the same energy and mechanics) have to be altered. Easy example the jut sao and punch under the arm in the section thats starts with the three pak sao's. This punch would be done in a fight on top.

The wooden man is limited only by the mind of the practitioner. Your example here of a practical indifference is weak imho, especially since you're adviocating practising something that can't be used as its practised!?

FWIW EVERY move on the wooden man is in the right place and can be used in the same way against a human being. Unless you haven't been taught the form well??! Or your foundation is weak.

hpclub
12-01-2010, 07:26 AM
The air dummy is usefull in learning what you are actually doing when using the dummy. Due to the dummies limits certain moves are (while still using the same energy and mechanics) have to be altered. Easy example the jut sao and punch under the arm in the section thats starts with the three pak sao's. This punch would be done in a fight on top. But as the dummy arms don't move the punch is under the arm. The punch is low to teach elbow control and other things. The distances on the steps are different. The only reason you stop when doing the dummy is your arms contact the dummy. Full steps occur when you use the same force but don't hit anything.

Thanks for the contribution. I would, however, suggest that this is circumstantial. For example of your opponant was much taller than you then you may feel more comfortable punching lower. Vice versa if youare much taller than your opponant then it would be impracticle to punch low using this technique. For the sake of practixing the air dummy I would simply punch at a natural level were my punches finish as in Sil Lim Tao which is around shoulder level.

Neil

hpclub
12-01-2010, 07:27 AM
The distances on the steps are different. The only reason you stop when doing the dummy is your arms contact the dummy. Full steps occur when you use the same force but don't hit anything.

Can you eleborate on this? Also would you still use a circular step as if there was a wooden leg present or not?

bennyvt
12-02-2010, 04:11 AM
why would you bring an arm down and into your other side if you were going to punch under it. You would just punch. The punch should be done over the top as we don't punch under our own hands. To do the jut and punch under would not only be using the jut in a redundant manner you would be stopping your own punch. The point being that when done on an opponent his arm would move (while the dummy arms do not). The punch is done low to teach proper elbow usage and not lifting the elbow as you lose control. But if you do it properly on the dummy it transfers onto an opponent if you think about the way the move feels as opposed to the shape or position in space on the dummy. Gledhill tends to use the idea of all moves are the punch, in this circumstance nearly all the jum sao's can be thought of as strikes. While sometimes they are blocks. Each move on the dummy can be broken down into just a single arm movement, dual arm movement, just footwork and all combinations of that.
When doing the air dummy if you extend the moves to how you would if the arms were not imobile you will see what I mean. Just stand there and do a jut sao, now look were your elbow is. Normally this would end up around your ziphoid process (little bone below your sternum). Now put your other hand were it would normally be and do both of them while punching under. You will probably be blocking your own punch with your jut sao.:p

bennyvt
12-02-2010, 04:27 AM
I mean with the steps that unless you are just stepping to the dummy that the distance will change when doing it in the air.
Like when doing the po pai. You stop moving forward when both plams have moved the dummy into the furthest position. Meaning you are stepping through the dummy only being stopped by the dummy itself. This translates into stopping when the opponent is either on the ground or to stable that you would colapse yourself. Most people step to the dummy and just use their arms to move it. The whole waist is behind the movement so if nothing is there to stop it, it will go further. Like if you stepped and punched into a heavy bag you would likely stop, if you step and punch without the bag the only thig stopping you is gravity.
So when you start at one point don't be too worried about always pointing at a certain point like the dummy was actually there.
Yes the steps still look the same I am purely talking about the size of the steps not the shape etc.

k gledhill
12-02-2010, 05:33 AM
why would you bring an arm down and into your other side if you were going to punch under it. You would just punch. The punch should be done over the top as we don't punch under our own hands. To do the jut and punch under would not only be using the jut in a redundant manner you would be stopping your own punch. The point being that when done on an opponent his arm would move (while the dummy arms do not). The punch is done low to teach proper elbow usage and not lifting the elbow as you lose control. But if you do it properly on the dummy it transfers onto an opponent if you think about the way the move feels as opposed to the shape or position in space on the dummy. Gledhill tends to use the idea of all moves are the punch, in this circumstance nearly all the jum sao's can be thought of as strikes. While sometimes they are blocks. Each move on the dummy can be broken down into just a single arm movement, dual arm movement, just footwork and all combinations of that.
When doing the air dummy if you extend the moves to how you would if the arms were not imobile you will see what I mean. Just stand there and do a jut sao, now look were your elbow is. Normally this would end up around your ziphoid process (little bone below your sternum). Now put your other hand were it would normally be and do both of them while punching under. You will probably be blocking your own punch with your jut sao.:p

"The point being that when done on an opponent his arm would move (while the dummy arms do not)" ;) ....move to open a strike path with ging shock force or move our ging shock force to their axis line using the contact as a lever to turn them on it. WHILE staying aligned and striking along the centerline.

Phil Redmond
12-02-2010, 12:11 PM
. . I had heard stories about that, but wasn't it Koo Sang that was contracted by the Ip Family to produce their wooden men? . . .
Yes, my Si-Gung, Koo Sang (Alan Lamb was my Sifu years ago), "produced" the first HK dummies.The plans were given to Cheung King Kong, William Cheung's older brother.

Phil Redmond
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I think the Hong Jong can be useful for those that don't have a dummy to practice. It can also help you visualize different possibilities for applications. I'd agree that practicing it can help muscle and mental memory and programming. I don't think it's ever too soon to begin practicing on either the mook jong or the hong jong.
The hung jong is actually more difficult for most people since you need to visualize.

Yoshiyahu
12-02-2010, 09:39 PM
"The point being that when done on an opponent his arm would move (while the dummy arms do not)" ;) ....move to open a strike path with ging shock force or move our ging shock force to their axis line using the contact as a lever to turn them on it. WHILE staying aligned and striking along the centerline.

How does one cultivate and develop ging. How do you increase your Ging in other words? And how does one manifest it and generate ging against a resisting opponent?

hpclub
12-03-2010, 04:42 AM

I can see your perspective here. However under my liniage (Ip ching) your Jut Sau and Punch which is performed in your Sil lim Tao stance is actually a Pak Sau with punch but we shift into a chum kui stance with weight on the right leg which creates an angle for the strike. Please see this link which will be a better explanation. Your thoughts on this in relation to our discussion would be welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HongkongBan#p/a/u/1/Db3OhHdb5Cw

Phil Redmond
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
When we do the hung jong we do everything symmetrical just like we do all the other empty hand forms. The same should be true of the dummy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpn9iIYpjI

LoneTiger108
12-18-2010, 01:28 PM
When we do the hung jong we do everything symmetrical just like we do all the other empty hand forms. The same should be true of the dummy.

Just curious, but does your wooden man have the upper two arms at the same height? If not, there is no symmetry fme

FongSung
12-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Did you watch the VDO ;):D

bennyvt
12-18-2010, 01:55 PM
the jut was just an example. As some have said even the arms are not at the same height due to basic wood work logic. The dummy was made to be as close as it can to be able to practice heaps of moves on it. So like the twin jut sao's on the dummy arms are not level but in the air they would be.

Phil Redmond
12-19-2010, 03:29 AM
the jut was just an example. As some have said even the arms are not at the same height due to basic wood work logic. The dummy was made to be as close as it can to be able to practice heaps of moves on it. So like the twin jut sao's on the dummy arms are not level but in the air they would be.
In the video I posted the arms can be level. It's just that people put them in wrong since the tangs are off center.
I don't know about non-Yip Man lineage dummies but the plans Yip Man gave to Cheung King Kong to give to Koo Sang had the dummy arms level.
It's just not logical to do the WC forms symmetrical yet do the jong asymmetrical. Think!
If you watched the video like FungSung said you'd see what I mean...;)

LoneTiger108
12-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Did you watch the VDO ;):D

Er... Doh!

Must admit, I didn't when I wrote that post but I have now :D

In the video I posted the arms can be level. It's just that people put them in wrong since the tangs are off center.
I don't know about non-Yip Man lineage dummies but the plans Yip Man gave to Cheung King Kong to give to Koo Sang had the dummy arms level.
It's just not logical to do the WC forms symmetrical yet do the jong asymmetrical. Think!
If you watched the video like FungSung said you'd see what I mean...

Its very interesting to hear this as I have just as good an explanation for the arms to not be level! And it's wierd for me because I have a Koo Sang designed wooden man and it was supplied with two evenly made arms for the top and only 1 off centre arm for the lower section. Obviously I wouldn't even be able to do what you done in the clip as I'd need to order some more off centre type arms!

Even more interesting is seeing Ip Ching demonstrate on a wooden man that has even top arms. Subtle differences in training but I don't think it makes that much difference in the 108 form, but it does affect the plum flower wooden man I have trained. Fist, palm and finger positioning especially.

Graham H
12-19-2010, 01:02 PM
The top two arms on the dummy have to be set at a specific height from the floor depending on the height of the person using it and they have to be level for a very good reason. The angle between the two arms is also very important.

GH

LoneTiger108
12-20-2010, 09:05 AM
... and they have to be level for a very good reason. The angle between the two arms is also very important.

Care to share why?

FME, and I train on a wooden man with one upper arm above the other, during our plum flower fist sets you just do not get the same feeling with the basic punches 'into' the triangle. I'm not talking of making contact with the body here, I'm jamming the fist and forearms into the upper two arms to train structure. I have tried this with even arms before but it felt very 'off', and I could see why many WCK students punch 'over' the top arms and hit the body. It would be good to hear of any more benefits to the even arms.

I may order some new arms for more testing!

Phil Redmond
12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Care to share why?

FME, and I train on a wooden man with one upper arm above the other, during our plum flower fist sets you just do not get the same feeling with the basic punches 'into' the triangle. I'm not talking of making contact with the body here, I'm jamming the fist and forearms into the upper two arms to train structure. I have tried this with even arms before but it felt very 'off', and I could see why many WCK students punch 'over' the top arms and hit the body. It would be good to hear of any more benefits to the even arms.

I may order some new arms for more testing!
Yip Man gave the plans to CKK to give to Koo Sang. When the dummy was finished Yip Man noticed that the distance between the arms was off. Maybe because of the difficulty of making a square "hole" in the trunk. But he just said don't worry about it and so most dummies were made the same way. I have a student who does CAD. Well, he made the correction to the original plans for me. When I get a chance I'll upload a clip of why "we" want a certain distance between the arms. Notice I said why WE want it a certain way. I cant speak for other WC people and would never do so. :)

LoneTiger108
12-21-2010, 08:51 AM
I have a student who does CAD. Well, he made the correction to the original plans for me. When I get a chance I'll upload a clip of why "we" want a certain distance between the arms.

I'm not talking so much about the distance between the arms, it's the even arms that I find interesting...

chusauli
12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I have both my Sifu Koo Sang's handmade Jong and I have a handmade Jong by my Sifu Kwan Jong Yuen of YKS/Gu Lao WCK.

The YKS Jong has both arms level, and the distance between the arms is about a fist apart.

The Koo Sang Jong I have is an antique; over 40 years old and hand carved out of teak. I restored it about 10 years ago. The arms are uneven, but a simple flip of the upper arms position due to the pegs makes it even. The distance between the arms is a bit tighter.

I can do the YKS, Yip Man and Gu Lao Jong sets on Koo Sang's Jong.

LoneTiger108
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
The Koo Sang Jong I have is an antique; over 40 years old and hand carved out of teak. I restored it about 10 years ago. The arms are uneven, but a simple flip of the upper arms position due to the pegs makes it even. The distance between the arms is a bit tighter.

And what do you prefer to use Robert? Even or uneven arms? Do they actually feel that much different or was it just my experience?

My problem is I haven't got enough spare arms to get mine even! I was always told that the off centre built arms are to make the gap bewteen smaller/larger. Having even arms was never really discussed.

Vajramusti
12-21-2010, 01:20 PM
I have 3 dummies. One is not put up- made by my sifu along time ago .One wushu guy who I shared space with for a while -out of ignorance cracked one slat hole by hammering on a pipe that he was putting through the hole.AAARRGH! ..when I was not there!!!Of the two mounted one is by Koo Sang (teak)from the 70s- the arms are fairly level and angled right and the space at the front of the arms is about the distance from my stretched pinky to my stretched thumb- suits me fine.
The other is custom made-maple I think- with cut and shaped planks strongly glued together
and heat treated before oiling and polishing.I dont like pads on my dummies.
Together with a friend I designed an iron framework which is reinforced and bolted to the ground.
The slats are free to provide the springiness together with the proper fit of the arms and legs into the square holes.

joy chaudhuri

Phil Redmond
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
I have both my Sifu Koo Sang's handmade Jong and I have a handmade Jong by my Sifu Kwan Jong Yuen of YKS/Gu Lao WCK.

The YKS Jong has both arms level, and the distance between the arms is about a fist apart.

I can do the YKS, Yip Man and Gu Lao Jong sets on Koo Sang's Jong.
Hi Robert, I had 3 Koo Sang dummies and sold one years ago. When I was at the VT Museum I mentioned to Benny Meng that I was going to sell one of the two I had left.
He said that I shouldn't sell it because they're valuable collectibles. So I kept them both.
A guy emailed me that he wanted to sell one for $3,000. :rolleyes:

Vajramusti
12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi Robert, I had 3 Koo Sang dummies and sold one years ago. When I was at the VT Museum I mentioned to Benny Meng that I was going to sell one of the two I had left.
He said that I shouldn't sell it because they're valuable collectibles. So I kept them both.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Alan Lamb was studying with Koo Sang in HK- he like other Koo Sang students would
help with the square logs that were all shaped/scraped by hand to make them round.
With Koo Sang now gone- it's the end of an era.

joy chaudhuri

chusauli
12-22-2010, 03:24 PM
And what do you prefer to use Robert? Even or uneven arms? Do they actually feel that much different or was it just my experience?

My problem is I haven't got enough spare arms to get mine even! I was always told that the off centre built arms are to make the gap bewteen smaller/larger. Having even arms was never really discussed.

Personally, I believe the arms should be level, all you have to do is arrange the pegs arms properly, and Voila! Instant level arms (at least with the older Jongs made by Koo Sang)!

Application wise, its just a set - not something to be worshipped, but dissected.

chusauli
12-22-2010, 03:24 PM

I'll sell mine for $10K...

caesjong
03-05-2011, 08:43 AM
checkout my jong....made a few...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df8JvDG2Ods

Phil Redmond
03-06-2011, 12:40 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Alan Lamb was studying with Koo Sang in HK- he like other Koo Sang students would
help with the square logs that were all shaped/scraped by hand to make them round.
With Koo Sang now gone- it's the end of an era.

joy chaudhuri
Yes, and it was an honor to have studied with Alan Lamb. I saw him last in L.A. 2006

Phil Redmond
03-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Personally, I believe the arms should be level, all you have to do is arrange the pegs arms properly, and Voila! Instant level arms (at least with the older Jongs made by Koo Sang)! . . . .
Exactly,
the empty hand forms cover the same gates/areas on both sides so why not the dummy? :)

Phil Redmond
03-06-2011, 12:49 AM

k gledhill
03-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Yip Man gave the plans to CKK to give to Koo Sang. When the dummy was finished Yip Man noticed that the distance between the arms was off. Maybe because of the difficulty of making a square "hole" in the trunk. But he just said don't worry about it and so most dummies were made the same way. I have a student who does CAD. Well, he made the correction to the original plans for me. When I get a chance I'll upload a clip of why "we" want a certain distance between the arms. Notice I said why WE want it a certain way. I cant speak for other WC people and would never do so. :)

The height of the dummy arms is critical. To stop raising and lowering the elbows at the shoulder in a hinge-like manner
They should be level too. The frame should offer resistance
to test your stance, ie not too springy.
the width of the arms allows the elbows to contact them first
as you strike in cycles.....

TenTigers
03-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Yes, and it was an honor to have studied with Alan Lamb. I saw him last in L.A. 2006
Alan Lamb was my first WCK teacher. I used to train in his basement in Flushing.
His step-daughter, Nadine(?) was hawt!

Also, the arms on my MYJ have small notches cut into the sides, so that when you put them in (correctly) the allow a tighter fit. They practically touch at their bases.
This is a jong from BLT from early 80's(Canal St) . It used to be advertized as a red sand palm jong due to its larger circumference. It seems to be teak. Would it be a Koo Sang dummy?

Grumblegeezer
03-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Some random thoughts... my dummy was one of a batch purchased through my old sifu, LT, back in the mid '80s and said to be made by Koo Sang. It's solid teak, which unfortunately has a few cracks and pockets that I had to fill, otherwise, it still looks great. Interestingly, you can see that the teak trunk was hand-rounded. A room-mate of mine at the time was a professional woodworker. He pointed out to me that it was not lathe-rounded, but had started as a large square-sided beam with the corners cut to make an octogon, which was then further rounded by hand. Sure enough, you could still feel a bit of the octagonal faceting which actually align very nicely with the angles at which you strike it. Now, after sanding and re-finishing, those facets are less apparent. The arms have off-set tenons so that they can be set approximately at a level height. LT insisted that this was the correct set-up. He claimed that the early dummies had uneven arms since the mortices (sockets) have to be cut that way into the trunk, but eventually someone came up with the off-set tenons (tangs) and solved that problem. So level is the way to go.

Now about the "hung jong"... I've watched the WSL clip and old videos of LT doing some sections in Kiel in '76 and the footwork doesn't seem to change, but the arms do extend on the strikes as they do in the other empty handed sets. That makes perfext sense to me. I do practice "hung jong" a bit, but at this stage I really feel I benefit more from the feedback given by the actual dummy. Maybe someday I won't need that any more. Oh I also practice "hung ghi-tar" but I can't play the real one. More's the pity.

TenTigers
03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Oh I also practice "hung ghi-tar" but I can't play the real one. More's the pity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinda thought you were a guitarist by the term, "tenon," which is the extension of a neck where it is joined at the body.

Grumblegeezer
03-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Nope. Just an air guitarist! The term tenon is not only used in luthiery (guitar crafting) but is an old wood-workers term in general. "Tenon" is the peg or tang, "mortice" is the socket it fits into. Picked it up from that roomate I hade years back, the one that showed me how my dummy was made.

YouKnowWho
03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
performing the dummy form without the use of the dummy?
IMO, whether you have dummy right infront of you or not, you should move exactly the same way.

I like to map my 2 men drills (school work) directly into my solo drills (home work). I also like to map my solo equipment training (home work) directly into my solo drills (home work). It's "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" approach. If I can find direct mapping, I prefer the "direct" training method instead of the "indirect" training method.

Phil Redmond
03-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Alan Lamb was my first WCK teacher. I used to train in his basement in Flushing.
His step-daughter, Nadine(?) was hawt!

Also, the arms on my MYJ have small notches cut into the sides, so that when you put them in (correctly) the allow a tighter fit. They practically touch at their bases.
This is a jong from BLT from early 80's(Canal St) . It used to be advertized as a red sand palm jong due to its larger circumference. It seems to be teak. Would it be a Koo Sang dummy?
I used to train at his Queens house as well. His wife at the time, Irene was Taiwanese.
The notches in the dummy arms shouldn't be tight. If you stop by the Manhattan school I can show you why. It'd be nice to see you again anyway. Yes, those were Koo Sang dummies.
Phil

Phil Redmond
03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Nope. Just an air guitarist! The term tenon is not only used in luthiery (guitar crafting) but is an old wood-workers term in general. "Tenon" is the peg or tang, "mortice" is the socket it fits into. Picked it up from that roomate I hade years back, the one that showed me how my dummy was made.
Thanks, I just learned a new word. I always called the part of the arm that goes into the dummy trunk the tang for lack of a better word.