PDA

View Full Version : Balisong Info/Experiance

Black Jack
04-02-2001, 01:16 AM
Anybody here have any practical experiance or insight on the balisong?

I am thinking about picking up a durable cheapo and maybe a Micheal Janich video to see get into some of the manipulations.

I seem to have overlooked the bailsong in my knife collection and I am looking into finding out what people think of the blade before I go out and purchase a serious quality balisong for a possible everyday carry.

Regards

JWTAYLOR
04-02-2001, 04:50 PM
Carefull, Balisong/Butterfly Knives are considered "gravity opening" knives and are illegal in most states.

As far as the actual brand Balisong, they have been picked up by Benchmade, and produce a d@mn fine product, in my opinion. They do not, as far as I can tell, actually make the butterfly knife anymore.

However,there are a couple of custom knifemakers out there making just friggin incredible pieces. JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Mojo
04-02-2001, 05:32 PM
Benchmade does make a butterfly knife, the model 42. Here's a link to their web site.
http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?id=5399436632074&item=113

enjoy.

JWTAYLOR
04-02-2001, 06:00 PM
Well drop your linnen and start your grinnin!
Thanks Mojo.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Sam Wiley
04-02-2001, 06:03 PM
I have a Benchmade Balisong, and it is indeed a **** fine knife. In fact, it's one of my favorites.

If I were you, I would just go ahead and get a good quality one and skip the el cheapo phase. A good Balisong will be pretty tough to wear out or break.

I have always thought that the reason they were illegal was because of blade length, though. Oh well.

I found a really nice move on accident one time. I was talking with a friend about it right after I first got it, and I commented on how it looked a lot like Nunchucks. I'm not sure exactly how the conversation went from there, but I started talking about using nunchucks to hit someone between the eyes with one end of one of the poles, and he said that was stupid. So I lifted the balisong up and made the same motion he told me was stupid, and the handle flipped open beautifully across the back of my hand, and I ended up with the blade pointed right beneath his nose, only about a millimeter away from touching him. It's a very interesting stabbing motion.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

Black Jack
04-02-2001, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it.

The reason I am looking more into the Balisong is I have been looking for having those extra advantages that only a fixed blade has over a tactical folder...I carry a spyderco civilan now...but I have yet to feel comfortable with the concealment factor of any fixed blade rigs yet so the balisong might be the option I was looking for but somehow seemed to miss.

I was made to refocus on the balisong when I met a gentleman who was talking about the bailsong and I asked just how quick the blade was to use in a actual situation and before you know it all I heard was that scary old "clikedy-clak" and the thing was right there in front of me.

Talk about friggin fast.

I also like how you there seems to be a wide birth of blade designs and parts for the balisong so there is a bit of creativity and personal expression into what you may want to carry.

I even have seen a kris/balisong configuration before that was just amazing.

Thanks again.

Regards

Taomonkey
04-02-2001, 10:28 PM
Those of you out there who have seen a real Balisong from the Balisong Bario's in the Philipines will back me up when I tell you they are some of the finest blades produced in teh world. I have personally played with a 4 foot when open balisong, teh dam thing could take a head off. If you can find one from PI get it.
By the way they are about 40$ US in hte Philipines which is equivelent to about $400 here.
Mike Janich's video is a good one, but prepair to bleed while you learn. A Filipino would tell you if you get blood on the blade to toss it into a lake as they become blood thirsty. :eek:

Sam Wiley
04-02-2001, 11:14 PM
I fully believe your Filipino friend. I have several blades that I never fail to cut myself with.

You found a 4 foot balisong for 40 bucks? That rules!

Black Jack, when I showed my brother my balisong, he couldn't open it the way I normally do, but he did this one opening (no clickety clack, just a click) and was instantly holding the thing opened up. I still can't do it. This knife has so much potential for invention and variation in both shape and technique it's amazing. I saw one of those Kris designs you mentioned in a catalog once, and they look evil. But definitely go ahead and buy a quality one. Don't settle when it comes to something you may have to depend on to save your life.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

Taomonkey
04-03-2001, 04:38 AM
4ft for $40,,,nope the regular sixed ones are around 20 to 40 bucks, the big one sell from 100 to 500 for a really ornate one. mabey I can find a picture and post it. You have to see it to believe it! :eek:

baji-fist
04-03-2001, 08:47 AM
Taomonkey,

I would have to agree with you about the quality of the balisongs back home in PI, they are really good! I owned a couple while going to college over there back in 96. But the last time I went back home, finding a Balisong is much harder than it was 5 years ago. Now it is prohibited to sell or carry Balisongs. It is a sad thing because the Balisong is a tradition in the Filipino MAs. Then again, it is also the number one weapon of choice amongst criminals.

BTW, are you a Filipino? If you are I just wanted to say....KABAYAN!!! hehehehe! If not, it is cool too. Payce

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

JJMantis
04-04-2001, 12:44 PM
I've got a short story to share. I carry a balisong, except when I'm on base. I don't know the civilian laws, but the military considers it "quick acting". There is also a limit of 4" to the blade. Then again, there are some fansastic 4" pocket knives that can open with the thumb or a flick of the wrist, that are legal and just as deadly. But anyway, to the story.

I was in a situation with a guy that I was sure was going to start something. He didn't respond to me when I tried to stops things verbally, so out came the balisong with that scary "clakity clack". My next words were something along the lines of "What's your problem?" He beat feet, then so did I. Noone got hurt, I only needed to use the intimidation factor. I beat hifear emotion.