PDA

View Full Version : Shiraha Tohei

HuangKaiVun
04-01-2001, 01:36 AM
Have you known anybody who has mastered this technique or even trained in it?

Personally, I can hardly imagine anybody pulling this move off - and then only in a very staged situation.

Seeker of the Way
04-13-2001, 01:10 PM
Could you explain what it is, pray?

That'd make it easier for me..

Peace, :cool:
SotW

"I know Kung Fu."

HuangKaiVun
04-16-2001, 05:36 PM
Shiraha DORI (sorry, I screwed up the name) is literally translated as "naked-blade capture".

The move involves catching a sword swung at you with your bare palms.

Seeker of the Way
04-22-2001, 10:34 AM
When I took Wushu we had a last-ditch move to catch weapons swung at us, pressing the side of the lower palms together to grip a blunt implement.

The magic word here is 'blunt'. I wouldn't use it to catch a bladed weapon to save my life. Rather jump the hell out of the way, and maybe only get my leg cut up.

Peace,
SotW

"I know Kung Fu."

oldwolf
05-13-2001, 10:50 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late getting into this thread, Saw a couple of demo's of this at either a European or British Knockdown championships back in the early 80's, it was done blind fold, if my aged memory serves me correct, by Brian Fitkin and wife who I believe teach up your way somewhere Seeker.
It was a good entertaining and crowd pleasing demo but a tad on the impractical side. :)

"And the crowd called out for more"

Seeker of the Way
05-13-2001, 12:54 PM
Is that so? In that case, could you tell me where in Denmark, and if he still teaches? I mean, it WAS back in the eighties.

Thank you,
SotW :cool:

"I know Kung Fu."

oldwolf
05-13-2001, 03:52 PM
It may have been Sweden, but a bit of searching under Kyukoshinkai, should give you some results. Last I heard he was still up in the frozen north.
But there are plenty of clubs in DK, my cousin who is naturalised Danish used to fight knockdown for Denmark, got to the quarter finals of the world masters as I recall.

"And the crowd called out for more"

Stranger
05-25-2001, 07:48 PM
Shigeru Oyama can catch a sharpened sword that way. Off course it is a demo, and he knows which kind of strike is coming. Nevertheless, the blade used is quite sharp. I don't know if he could do it spontaneously in the heat of combat. You would have to ask him.

"Luminous beings are we."