PDA

View Full Version : Aikido 'Chain-Break'...What's that about?

Seeker of the Way
04-02-2001, 10:04 AM
I've heard of Aikidoka adepts knowing a technique called a Chain-break. They catch your punch, and break bones in your wrist, elbow and shoulder with only a few hard yanks in the right places once they catch the limb. They can do the same with a kick, going ankle-knee-hip.

What I want to know is how you Aikidoka(or other folks knowledgable in Aikido) perform the move. Not sure I want to learn it ever, but I'm interested in how such an apparently perfect grappling move works.

Peace and thanks,
Sotw :cool:

"I know Kung Fu."

8stepsifu
04-24-2001, 03:20 AM
mantis does that

don't worry be happy

rogue
04-26-2001, 04:14 AM
It's not hard at all. Just check out your chin na and reverse engineer it. The trick is getting the first break, after that the rest are easy if you're quick enough.

http://www.fightingarts.com/magazine/graphics/goju-ryu08.jpg

Tigerstyle
05-06-2001, 04:55 AM
Think of the joints in the arm like chain links. If you twist a chain, you notice the links eventually lock up one at a time. Aikido/Chin Na locks can do the same thing to the arm or leg. Joint locks are usually joint breaks/dislocations, only they are stopped short of the permanent damage. A "chain break" would be a "chain lock" done to it's full potential.

I personally don't think serious Aikido practitioners would do this, however. Maybe Seagal would do it...in a movie.

Seeker of the Way
05-07-2001, 10:38 AM
Sweet. I'm unfortunately way too knew to my art to know the Chin Na, but I can understand it from the 'chain-link' perspective.

Thanks all, sounds like an icky maneuver.

Peace,
Tias.

"I know Kung Fu."

Grappling-Insanity
05-28-2001, 03:33 AM
Aikado is so lame.....

JWTAYLOR
05-28-2001, 05:35 PM
I agree, Aikado is SO lame. Thank god Aikido is so cool.
JWT

Godzilla
05-29-2001, 12:38 AM
After studying Aikido for a few months I find it like basic Chin Na for joint locks.

But I find it like nothing else for footwork.

Does that make sense? Excellent MA!

Godzilla

rogue
05-29-2001, 01:35 AM
Ed Barkers Kimpoo is lame too. :p

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

JWTAYLOR
05-29-2001, 07:50 PM
Yeah, all of Fred Barker's students suck. An Krimpu is completely bogus.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

JerryLove
05-29-2001, 09:05 PM
Those are hyper-extensions. Not breaks.

shaolinboxer
05-30-2001, 06:05 PM
To me this sounds like a mis-guided derivative or chaining techniques. As in, I apply first control (ikkyo), my partner resists which naturally leads to second control (ninkyo)...and on and on. The locks form a circle, so that the counter to any lock is a set up for another lock. Chin na uses the same principal.