PDA

View Full Version : Martial Exchange Forum

gilbride100
12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
http://martialgames.freeforums.org/index.php

Introducing the Martial Exchange Forum, a new forum showcasing bouts between fencers from different styles of historical weapons play. This is a great opportunity for CMA folks to use traditional Chinese weapons against real opponents.

What is a Martial Exchange?

Inspired by the growing custom of the Martial Challenge in many HEMA organizations, a Martial Exchange is a friendly bout between two martial artists from different styles or schools. This bout can involve any of the traditional weapons of the martial arts, or it can be an empty-hand match. The main difference between a Martial Exchange and a Martial Challenge is that no score is kept and no winner is declared in a Martial Exchange. I have been fighting Martial Exchanges with other sword instructors for several years, and have succeeded in arranging bouts with representatives of classical styles that are normally very reticent to engage in an outright challenge. I decided to formalize the concept of the Martial Exchange because I think it’s a better venue for such cross-style meetings. Rather than a challenge as such, the Martial Exchange is intended to be an opportunity for both swordsmen to showcase their art. The emphasis is on the art itself rather than on the individual fighting abilities of the combatants.

How to Fight a Martial Exchange

It’s very uncomplicated! You can arrange the bout through the forum, in person, or by any other method, but it should be with someone from a different style or school or both. Before the bout you should agree on what constitutes a “touch” or successful hit and whether or not to stop and re-center the bout when a touch occurs. You should agree on the weapons and the level of safety gear to be used. The bout continues either until a pre-set time is reached or until either fighter wishes to stop, which is to be indicated by requesting “one more touch.” After this final touch, the bout is over. Post any video to the forum for discussion and comment!

Examples of Bouts With Chinese Weapons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JlNzt9pnlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcuD3qHwV4

David Jamieson
12-06-2010, 08:01 AM
good luck with that.

GeneChing
12-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I trust you will be posting a directive to our forum here prominently on your new forum. That would be the honorable thing to do.

gilbride100
12-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Gene,
Of course, how would you like me to phrase that?

The last thing I'm trying to do here is to steal your thunder- my forum is a very small free forum for a very narrowly-defined interest.

-Chris Thompson

GeneChing
12-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Good luck with your forum. From our very large free forum to your very small free forum, you should note that you could be held legally liable if an accident were to occur in a bout arranged through your forum. This is why we officially discourage any sort of challenges here. Just a word of caution...;)

gilbride100
12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
By "free" I meant "free for me," meaning I don't pay anything for it because it's just a hobby site. And because I have no money. :)

We do these kind of friendly sword bouts all the time in Historical European Martial Arts, so I didn't really think of being sued, but if I was sued, I would still have no money, so...

wenshu
12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
I first read this as Marital Exchange forum.

Not necessarily anymore out of place than as intended. . .

gilbride100
12-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Out of place? You do practice with swords and things in CMA, don't you? Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like to actually fence with them?

wenshu
12-07-2010, 06:45 AM
It is not out of place at all, that was my point.

gilbride100
12-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood you.