PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts in Turkey

moskof
12-07-2010, 02:31 AM
if come to turkey i wait your my studio wingtsunankara (http://www.wingtsunankara.com)

GeneChing
05-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm cannibalizing this thread (well, this single post, which was previously on the Wing Chun forum). It's a slow news morning...

Chinese martial arts gains popularity in Turkey (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-05/06/c_13862791.htm)
English.news.cn 2011-05-06 23:57:40

ANKARA, May 6 (Xinhua) -- Wushu, a sport deriving from Chinese martial arts, is gaining followers in Turkey as the Turkish Wushu Federation expects growing popularity of the sport and more cooperation with Chinese Wushu athletes.

At a Wushu contest held from April 30 to May 1 as a part of the World Children Games in the Turkish capital of Ankara, kids of a Turkish Wushu-practising family won eight first prizes, beating their Chinese fellow contestants.

"I've been learning martial arts since I was eight," said the 10-year-old Zeynep Akyuz, who was the champion of three categories of the Wushu contest in under-12 group. "I went to China to learn Wushu for three months. My whole family like Wushu very much and I will continue to practise it."

Zeynep's sister Elif Akyuz and brother Necmettin Erbakan Akyuz all took part in the contest and claimed titles. Their father Abdurrahman Akyuz, president of the Turkish Wushu Federation, said he had a deep affection for Wushu.

"We hope all countries and regions could benefit from this extremely nice and beneficial Wushu sport. It is a duty for us to work for the development and spread of Wushu," said Akyuz.

Wushu was first practised in Turkey in the 1970s and the Turkish Wushu Federation was founded in 2006. In 2010, Turkish national team got the second place at 13th European Wushu Championship held in southern Turkey's Antalya.

This October, the 11th World Wushu Championship will be held in Ankara.

"Although we didn't field our best athletes this time, we feel other countries and regions are improving very fast in their performance of Wushu sport," said Li Dafeng, vice principal of Shandong Provincial Wushu Institute and leader of the Chinese delegation at the Wushu contest last week. "It's good for promoting Wushu as a quintessence of Chinese culture."

China sent six teenagers to participate in the Wushu contest in Ankara, where they won the first prizes of two categories.

Altogether 144 children athletes from 29 countries and regions joined the contest, warming up the sports hall on the competition day by shouting "Jiayou", the Chinese slogan for cheering the competitors.

Li Qiaoling, judge of the event, said the contest provided a chance for the world's young Wushu lovers to communicate and improve. Five Chinese judges were sent to work for the contest and help train other countries' judges, she said.

Chief judge Liu Tongwei said it was good for the development and promotion of Wushu sport to make Wushu part of the World Children Games.

The contest would pave the way for Turkey to hold the 11th World Wushu Championship and the Turkish Wushu Federation hoped it would become a biennial event.

Akyuz said the Turkish Wushu Federation has signed four Chinese coaches to improve the level of Turkish athletes.

The federation also invited a delegation from Beijing's Capital Institute of Physical Education to visit the country from April to May and discussed student exchanges, Wushu promotion and faculty exchanges between each other, said Akyuz.

There were 24,580 registered athletes practising Wushu in Turkey, but more and more people were expected to start to practice Wushu, he said.

"More Chinese coaches are needed to come to Turkey in order to train both Turkish coaches and students," said Akyuz.

"Chinese coaches are the best Wushu masters in the world," said Isa Gencturk, Secretary General of the Turkish Wushu Federation. "If we apply their training programs in our Wushu schools ,Turkish athletes will become more advanced technically and I believe our athletes will bring more medals to our country."

hskwarrior
05-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Every where you look you got Turkey Pastrami, Turkey ham, turkey bacon, now you have Turkey Martial Arts!!!!!

Would it be bad to say "that martial artist is a Turkey" if he's really from turkey?

bawang
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
wing chun the have put sh1t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOPyOkn7cc&feature=related
this real turk martial art
LONG LIVE CHINGIS KHAN LONG LIVE TURK ALTAI

Hebrew Hammer
05-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Mildly arousing....:D

GeneChing
04-29-2015, 04:33 PM
I knew cannibalizing this thread would be useful someday. :cool:

Hijab ban forces Turkey out of Wushu championship (http://www.worldbulletin.net/world/158523/hijab-ban-forces-turkey-out-of-wushu-championship)

http://media.worldbulletin.net/news/2015/04/29/zeynepp.jpg
Turkey will not participate in any event organized by the European Wushu Federation because of its ban on women wearing headscarves, says Turkish official.
World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkey will not participate in any event organized by the European Wushu Federation because of its alleged ban on women wearing headscarves, a senior official of Turkey’s Wushu Federation said Wednesday.
"In 2014, we did not take along women athletes from Turkey to the championship, but this year we have decided not to attend the event itself," Abdurrahman Akyuz, Turkish official of the International Wushu Federation, told The Anadolu Agency.
Akyuz said that the decision was made in protest after the European Wushu Federation ruled that sportswomen wearing headscarves could not take part in the competition.
"We, as Turkey, do not recognize the European Wushu Federation anymore and declared it to the International Wushu Federation," he added.
Also, he said that Italy and France too had decided to stay out of the European Wushu Federation over what it said was "maladministration" reasons.
In 2013, Akyuz's daughter and Turkey's national athlete, Zeynep Akyuz, did not get any score when she performed at the competition wearing a headscarf.
The federation had said the girl’s costume did not conform to the federation's rules. "There are clear and strict rules about different kinds of competition costume and its parts," it said.
In response, Zeynep Akyuz had said that the European Wushu Federation's decision to ban women who wore headscarves was "disrespectful" to the Islamic world.
In addition, World Champion Alif Akyuz called the decision "shameful" for Turkish society and Islamic world.
Wushu is a martial arts form that originated in China.

This bums me out. I like hijabs on wushu women. ;)

mawali
04-29-2015, 10:10 PM
In your personal space and in public enclosed areas, you can do what you want. Sadly, this "recent" hardball Turkish attitude is the problem, where they are trying to force policies to appease the ultranationalists. Ataturk would turn in his grave!

GeneChing
01-04-2017, 08:54 AM
...even for those of you that follow international Wushu. Read The Silk Road Kung Fu Friendship Tour Part 16: Interview with Abdurrahman Akyuz, President of the Turkish Wushu Federation and Fathomless Histories in Ankara, Bursa and Istanbul (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1334).