PDA

View Full Version : Philippino Martial Arts vs. Ultimate Fighting Challenge (UFC)

Taomonkey
04-02-2001, 10:12 PM
For those of you who cry asking why no one of a kung fu style or other styles never compete in these so called No Holds Barred / MMA events, take a look at this letter from the UFC to the Dog Brothers http://www.dogbrothers.com/ufc.htm
The FMA are considered too extream by the UFC!

Almost laughable now isn't it.

jjj
04-02-2001, 10:22 PM
Stick-fighting dog brother style is more extreme than strait NHB/MMA. The cable companies would definitely rule it out. I'm not sure what this has to do with why Kung Fu is not represented in NHB?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up in the morning,
that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
--Frank Sinatra

apoweyn
04-02-2001, 10:24 PM
Link doesn't work. I take it that Art Davies wasn't interested in showcasing the Dog Brothers.

Stuart

baji-fist
04-03-2001, 09:23 AM
My old Guro in the Villabrille-Largusa system told me one time that GM Largusa's son was not allowed to compete in the UFC either for the same reason, the Filipino arts were to extreme for the UFC.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

KnightSabre
04-03-2001, 10:11 AM
The dog brothers fight with sticks.
The UFC didn't want to have people beating each other to uncontiousness with sticks.
The Dog Brothers are real hardcore guys who fight full contact with sticks.No unarmed style has been declined in the UFC.

KrAzy FiLiPino
04-03-2001, 10:26 AM
The FMA are considered too extreme for the UFC because of the use of weapons, nothing else. If you're talking about applying empty hand techniques that's different. The UFC is empty hand striking and grappling.

Peace

Daryl

Taomonkey
04-03-2001, 04:23 PM
Not so, as stated above "GM Largusa's son was not allowed to compete in the UFC either" I also know that GM Ernesto Presas's son was not allowed to compete. These individuals would have participated under all rules and regulations set down by the UFC, but it seems that they do select fighters based on style and ability, thank GOD its only Vince McMan who controlls teh outcome of his matches, right. :D

jjj
04-03-2001, 04:28 PM
If believing the UFC is fixed makes you feel better then knock yourself out! ;)

I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up in the morning,
that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
--Frank Sinatra

LEGEND
04-03-2001, 04:37 PM
The UFC is very selective nowadays...they only pick the BEST!

A

Stranger
04-03-2001, 08:29 PM
Not that I like the UFC, but get your facts straight boys. A Filipino MA (he might have actually been a Fillipino) did compete in one of the first few UFC's (between 2-6), but the match was not televised beyond highlights. The guy won his first match, and I believe he was injured out of the rest of the tournament.

I don't know why Largusa or Presas' sons were not allowed in, but it had nothing to do with their style. The Dog Brothers were declined because of the weaponry issue.

"Luminous beings are we."

frosh2786
04-04-2001, 03:17 AM
no style? how about kino mutai? hehe...the rules kinda defeat the purpose of it though