PDA

View Full Version : XXL Bag-sand or water?

TenTigers
12-07-2010, 08:11 AM
I am equiping my kwoon with XXL free standing bags. I was wondering what the benefits of sand over water, or vise-versa are?
anyone have experience with these?
We are on a ground floor, cement base, and we have zebra mats.

sanjuro_ronin
12-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I am equiping my kwoon with XXL free standing bags. I was wondering what the benefits of sand over water, or vise-versa are?
anyone have experience with these?
We are on a ground floor, cement base, and we have zebra mats.

Hanging bags not an option?

Sand filled bases will be far heavier and harder to move.

TenTigers
12-07-2010, 08:27 AM
the beam is about 5 ft above the suspended ceiling. I'm thinking of having a square tube bar with a base plate on one end and a ring on the other welded up so I can clamp it to the I-beam and it will come down just beneath the ceiling. But for group classes, I want several bags. The rack set-ups are cool, but not right for my space.

sanjuro_ronin
12-07-2010, 08:35 AM
One thing though, if the base is too heavy it put too much stress on where the vertical tube connects to the base and with serious impact, can cause that area there to crack and even break.

MasterKiller
12-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Water is easier to drain (and dispose of) than sand if you ever need to empty them for some reason.

mooyingmantis
12-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I used sand in Bob's base and it takes two of us to move him. Though that is a good workout in itself. :)

TenTigers
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Ok, the weight would be an issue, and the emptying and refilling is a consideration, AND being the Kung-Fu Jew... seeing that I have to buy sand, and water is free.....
water it is.
Thanks for all your input.

David Jamieson
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Ok, the weight would be an issue, and the emptying and refilling is a consideration, AND being the Kung-Fu Jew... seeing that I have to buy sand, and water is free.....
water it is.
Thanks for all your input.

lol, you're killing me with this... :p

Lucas
12-07-2010, 11:55 AM
One thing though, if the base is too heavy it put too much stress on where the vertical tube connects to the base and with serious impact, can cause that area there to crack and even break.

i have one of these in my apartment, and found the same deal, so i use water in it. while it does move around a good bit, it just adds to the fun for me. beat the crap out of it for 4 feet in one direction, switch it up and beat it back the other way. using one of these always reminds me of those child toys of the blow up clowns

David Jamieson
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I personally am not crazy about the wave master type bags at all.
They don't provide the same rigid fullness that a hanging heavybag has.
They don't feel right to me.

But, I think they are probably great for kids up to a certain point and if you have no other alternatives for force feedback, I guess they will do.

taai gihk yahn
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
AND being the Kung-Fu Jew... seeing that I have to buy sand.
You'd think that after 40 years in the desert you guys might have stock-piled some for just such an eventuality; ah, the irony...

sanjuro_ronin
12-07-2010, 01:00 PM
You'd think that after 40 years in the desert you guys might have stock-piled some for just such an eventuality; ah, the irony...

BBBWWWAAAHHHHHH !!!!!
Mazel Tov !!!

David Jamieson
12-07-2010, 01:17 PM
After 40 years in the desert, I would think the water would be preferable!

ginosifu
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM

But, I think they are probably great for kids up to a certain point and if you have no other alternatives for force feedback, I guess they will do.

I have one of those. Just use it for small kids training. Kids think it's fun to them and try and knock it down.

ginosifu

Lucas
12-07-2010, 02:12 PM

they are great for apartments

David Jamieson
12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
they are great for apartments

Apartments are crappy for hard workouts... as I am sure you are aware. lol

Sardinkahnikov
12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I used sand in Bob's base and it takes two of us to move him. Though that is a good workout in itself. :)

Was it hard? We had to fill Bob's base with an elephant-worth of weight in order to keep that ******* standing still after taking a hit!

EarthDragon
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
TT if you use water make sure you put a additive in it form a waterbed tablet otherwise the water will get slimy and contaninamted

lkfmdc
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM

the problem is, only ONE GUY kept it and now he is selling it at jacked up prices....

mooyingmantis
12-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Was it hard? We had to fill Bob's base with an elephant-worth of weight in order to keep that ******* standing still after taking a hit!

Yep, one to kick, one to keep him from rocking and running. :)

Lucas
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Apartments are crappy for hard workouts... as I am sure you are aware. lol

That's correct. But I'd rather have some equipment at home than none at all, sometimes you just want to hit something really hard....and alas, I don't have any step children...
;)