PDA

View Full Version : Question for all Instructors: What made you want to teach?

Iron_Eagle_76
12-08-2010, 07:01 AM
For those here who are Sifus, Instructors, Coaches, ect. what made you want to teach? I'm just curious as to what point in your journey in martial arts did you decide to teach.

For me personally I wanted to give others the oppourtunity to learn the things I have and add something to the system.

ginosifu
12-08-2010, 07:28 AM
I could not pin point any reason. I just started out liking helping others during class, while I was a student. I would see people struggling with a technique and I would feel compelled to go help them. Eventually my teacher asked me if I wanted to become an instructor.

The rest is history.

ginosifu

xcakid
12-08-2010, 07:46 AM
I could not pin point any reason. I just started out liking helping others during class, while I was a student. I would see people struggling with a technique and I would feel compelled to go help them. Eventually my teacher asked me if I wanted to become an instructor.

The rest is history.

ginosifu

That is pretty much my story as well. :)

David Jamieson
12-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I have little or no desire for teaching. :-)

I do like to exchange with individuals who already know something.

I especially don't like teaching kids. lol

I think you guys that do teach kids are ok in my books. I really can't be bothered with that sort of thing. Plus the whole "coming of age" period, I am not interested in that either.

Just old school boys club type stuff. :)

MightyB
12-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I have little or no desire for teaching. :-)

I do like to exchange with individuals who already know something.

I especially don't like teaching kids. lol

I think you guys that do teach kids are ok in my books. I really can't be bothered with that sort of thing. Plus the whole "coming of age" period, I am not interested in that either.

Just old school boys club type stuff. :)

I second this thought. Plus, teaching is a huge commitment. I don't think people realize it when they start teaching, but you have to be there, and you should be there for the long haul if you decide to teach because your students depend on you.

TenTigers
12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
every school that I was in, they always had me assist with the instruction. I had a gift for breaking things down, patience, compassion, and passion for Martial arts.
When you teach, each little victory a student feels when they overcome a problem, or succeed at learning a technique, is my victory as well. When I see that light in their eyes, or when they become empowered, it becomes instant payback.
Of course the downside is when big guys start to develop their power...it sux holding the pads for them!
"OOFF! Nice kick.....why don't you go over there and work with Mike for awhile..."

MightyB
12-08-2010, 08:48 AM
This is an interesting approach to teaching:
http://crazymonkeydefense.com/cmd/?page_id=211

very customer centric and breaks away from the traditional model.

David Jamieson
12-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Another big part I don't like is the daddy complex latch ons that invariably show up.

They are the poorly socialized folks who project an ideal onto you and then when you don't meet that ideal because you are actually you, these people go all to sh1t and troubles about it.

That is the main thing that I really don't like about taking on the position of teacher. It is a huge responsibility when it comes to the unformed mind. i'm not equipped to adequately deal with those types of people and I am not interested in becoming equipped to do so either! lol

yes, most of the time you are dealing with fairly mentally stable people, but in Martial arts, trust me, a percentage of you guys are already borderline nut cases and certainly the potential student body has it's share.

I mean people actually used to show up at the club and they wanted to learn how to do the tree walking like in crouching tiger and they are SERIOUS!! :eek:

David Jamieson
12-08-2010, 08:55 AM

I like Rodney King's approach and have even gotten into his straight blast gym dvd offerings. All of it is good sound stuff. he has his poop in a group as far as martial arts goes in my opinion.

EarthDragon
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I cant do therefore I teach..............:p

But seriously i feel compeled to teach kung fu (http://www.8stepusa.com/kungfu.html) to help others who are as passionate about MA as I always have been.

I am NFPT cert. and often find myself watching peopel lift weights incorrectly and always offer to show them a better way.

I guess I figure if I see someone doing it and they are really trying to lean and I know how it should be done then its one of my callings in life help that person reach that goal.
I still to this day teach for free. I put my profit back into the school every month.

Iron_Eagle_76
12-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Another big part I don't like is the daddy complex latch ons that invariably show up.

They are the poorly socialized folks who project an ideal onto you and then when you don't meet that ideal because you are actually you, these people go all to sh1t and troubles about it.

That is the main thing that I really don't like about taking on the position of teacher. It is a huge responsibility when it comes to the unformed mind. i'm not equipped to adequately deal with those types of people and I am not interested in becoming equipped to do so either! lol

yes, most of the time you are dealing with fairly mentally stable people, but in Martial arts, trust me, a percentage of you guys are already borderline nut cases and certainly the potential student body has it's share.

I mean people actually used to show up at the club and they wanted to learn how to do the tree walking like in crouching tiger and they are SERIOUS!! :eek:

Most of these nut jobs don't last to long. I have had a few like this come in, after 1 or 2 hard workouts they are usually gone. Once they realize there is not some magic pill you take and it actually involves a lot of dedication and hard work, they leave. Funny what sweat and pain does to people.:D

TenTigers
12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Most of these nut jobs don't last to long.

oooooohhhhh yes we do...:p

bawang
12-08-2010, 09:12 AM

if kung fus fault. in the movies theres always a kind father figure that takes on people with problems like mr myagi.

i feel bad for the white people with issues who chase mr myagi then get rediculed for it. it must be humiliating to join a kung fu school looking to fulfil your life, then have your "sifu" laugh in your face and talk sh1t behind your back.

Iron_Eagle_76
12-08-2010, 01:21 PM
if kung fus fault. in the movies theres always a kind father figure that takes on people with problems like mr myagi.

i feel bad for the white people with issues who chase mr myagi then get rediculed for it. it must be humiliating to join a kung fu school looking to fulfil your life, then have your "sifu" laugh in your face and talk sh1t behind your back.

Yes, they get laughed at and called names, until one day evil Karate school come and murder said teacher. Than they turn into crazed killer and Chen Zhen a moth**er ******er. "WHY YOU KILL MY TEACHER, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY!!"

bawang
12-08-2010, 01:41 PM

that guys has no honor

one day i will teach for honor and spread chinese cultur. no whitw students. id even teach japanese and koreans. id even teach the black peoples i love malcolm x. i cried reading his autobiography. but no whiteys alowd.

David Jamieson
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
that guys has no honor

one day i will teach for honor and spread chinese cultur. no whitw students. id even teach japanese and koreans. no whiteys alowd.

lol. honour.

that guy has some great down to earth usable material. His Kung Fu is good!

I'm setting a new policy.

From now on, all chinese will only be shown bullsh1t cultural nonsense that will not help them in self defense and all non-chinese students will be taught martial arts.

The chinese students will be made to pay based on a star chart that approximates their wealth 25 years from now. Which should be quite a lot! And the non-chinese students may pay what they can afford, or they may also be tested by being asked to take out any of the chinese students and use their dough to pay their fees.

It's only fair. :p

bawang
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
also no abc. i hate those dam bananas more than white people.

except for gene ching. he has many honor.

David Jamieson
12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
also no abc. i hate those dam bananas more than white people.

except for gene ching. he has many honor.

Come on over, I'll teach you to lion dance, play a symbol, paint a character or two, use a fan, count to 100 in Cantonese, say some choice Kung Fu related phrases in Cantonese, what the colours of the 5 elements are and what they represent, some geomancy, tui nah, and other such items.

Also, I will teach you Tiger catches the lamb stance, take the centre horse stance and how to throw kicks into the air!

You must pay though. And you have to help one of the white students pay as well.

sanjuro_ronin
12-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I've been exposed to old school Japanese teachers, old school korean and chines teachers, coaches and mentors.
I great teacher should strive to be all of that:
Teacher, coach and mentor.
Not to the same person of course, but different people respond better to different ways of being taught.
Some need a teacher, others need a coach and some learn best with "Mr. Miyagi".

David Jamieson
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
also, the one's that learn best from mr.miyagi are the same one's who get the big trophy for the glow chucks kata in the musical forms division of the local krotty tournament.

true story, every time!

GeneChing
12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
For the record, I'm a total ABC and proud of it. :cool:

Back OT, I taught to help my teacher and my fellow students. I stopped teaching several years ago (unless you count my writing, but that's a different kind of teaching entirely). Teaching was taking too much time from my personal practice.

SIFU RON
12-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I started teaching M/A early on. I wasn't asked to teach , it came naturally to me. I learned a great deal from teaching, teaching gives one insight into their Art.

I enjoyed helping my teachers and our fellow students. Now that I am the teacher I appreciate and respect those that help me teach.

Teaching takes patience, especially among the young and the handicapped. In addition to passing the Style on, it is rewarding to see students accomplish goals, gain self respect , confidence, and pride in themselves.

TenTigers
12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
From now on, all chinese will only be shown bullsh1t cultural nonsense that will not help them in self defense .

when did you start teaching Wu-Shu?

YouKnowWho
12-08-2010, 11:58 PM
The reason that I teach because "I need training partners and I don't like to train solo". I can beat someone up and that person still need to pay me. Where else can I find a good deal like that?

Jimbo
12-09-2010, 01:11 AM
My first teaching exp. was as a teen, helping my Kenpo teacher assistant teach. That's where I learned to really analyze what I was doing. I also assisted my Tang Lang teacher in Taiwan many years later, and that's where my teaching style began to take shape. But it wasn't until much later that I started teaching my own group with approval from my CLF sifu.

I started teaching because when I saw teachers who turned out exceptional and effective students, I respected that and wanted to do the same. I took it as a challenge. Some of my students started from scratch, while others had previous experience, including a 3rd dan in Goju-ryu. I had the same core group for the whole time.

It was a good experience, but after 4 years I realized I enjoyed being a MA practitioner more than a MA teacher. I was very comfortable at the martial/teaching aspect, but not with the self-promotion as it relates to MA. Also, I already have a career, and wanted to pursue other outside interests.

Iron_Eagle_76
12-09-2010, 05:55 AM
The reason that I teach because "I need training partners and I don't like to train solo". I can beat someone up and that person still need to pay me. Where else can I find a good deal like that?

Great answer! In the sense that all teachers should continue their martial journey and train just as hard or harder than their students. I always think you earn the respect of your students when you ask them to do something hard and you do it with them, it takes away the dictator feeling and replaces it with a training partner mentality, but one where they still respect your knowledge and expertise. That and I love to work out hard core.:)

David Jamieson
12-09-2010, 06:00 AM
when did you start teaching Wu-Shu?

I been stretching and I bought a certificate from a chinese website that states quite clearly I am more than qualified to teach all the compulsories.

also, student MUST pour tea for me at all time, give me dibs on har gow and is immediately expelled if their chopstick touches the plate while mine is still on it! :mad:

I'm tough, but I'm fair. :p

Taryn P.
12-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I taught BJJ 101 to some of my kung fu classmates, because

1)I thought they'd like it and be good at it

2)I wanted more people to practice with

If I feel confident that I know what I'm doing, I think I'm a good teacher. I knew exactly what I wanted to teach and how... all the things that I wished I'd learned early on; they got to skip a lot of the stumbling around that I had to do. But I didn't feel okay about teaching even Day One Basics until after I got my blue belt.

Now, I make a special point of trying to mentor any brand-new female white belts who come into the school, because I remember what it was like coming in and just being tossed into a sink-or-swim environment with a bunch of huge muscley men. I feel a responsibility to try to be a role model for the new female students, and help them along.

I don't know if I'd want to FORMALLY teach a class, though. Helping out is fun, without really getting saddled with the more unpleasant aspects of the responsibility. One of my teachers in particular seems to be very deliberately grooming me to teach someday, and I just don't know if I'm going to want to do that.

KC Elbows
12-12-2010, 04:01 AM

That is exactly the reason I started teaching.

SPJ
12-12-2010, 05:37 AM
For those here who are Sifus, Instructors, Coaches, ect. what made you want to teach? I'm just curious as to what point in your journey in martial arts did you decide to teach.

For me personally I wanted to give others the oppourtunity to learn the things I have and add something to the system.

both teaching and learning are an ongoing process.

we learn from both.

you may impart and pass on whatever you learned and understood to the younger generation.

we also learn from interaction with students.

--

:)

curenado
12-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Because Kung Fu should be preserved and taught to those who are cut out for it

To maintain my own health and continue to improve my skills

Because our master ran a great traditional school and it was our haven

To produce trained people to maintain the school and it's functions

Because I was too far away from life in the years I competed most with it and now wish to posess it more since I have time from struggling with it less

To share as many and as much of all the good things of kung fu as any person can handle - may the well never be dry

To facilitate those who choose the monk's way and life, whatever their life and circumstances are

To preserve the inner as well as the outer and all the teachings that often get neglected in the pursuit of martial prowess, which is a little empty and weaker without them

.....and I needed something to do

Merryprankster
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
I like it.

Shaolin
12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I never wanted to instruct, it was just a way for me to get more lessons.

curenado
12-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Lol! Pragmatist ~