PDA

View Full Version : Lien Gung

TenTigers
12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
which Lien Gung exercises do you do in class, on a regular basis?
How much class time is devoted towards Lien Gung?

chusauli
12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
When I taught Hung Ga, most of it was Lien Gung. A 2 hour class was about 45 min of Lien Gung, with the remainder with forms, 2 man San Sao applications, and weapons with individual attention.

I still emphasize to my students that Lien Gung is very important, but since I teach WCK mostly now, I spend a few minutes with medicine balls - 10 -15 minutes to warm up, then basic solo exercises, 2 man applications, and only 10 - 15 minutes on forms. Much of the Lien Gung in WCK is working with a resisting partner, especially with Bik Ma, Chi Sao and free sparring.

Violent Designs
12-13-2010, 05:52 PM
When I taught Hung Ga, most of it was Lien Gung. A 2 hour class was about 45 min of Lien Gung, with the remainder with forms, 2 man San Sao applications, and weapons with individual attention.

I still emphasize to my students that Lien Gung is very important, but since I teach WCK mostly now, I spend a few minutes with medicine balls - 10 -15 minutes to warm up, then basic solo exercises, 2 man applications, and only 10 - 15 minutes on forms. Much of the Lien Gung in WCK is working with a resisting partner, especially with Bik Ma, Chi Sao and free sparring.

I didn't know you taught Hung Ga. Was there any reason you stopped and do you still practice any of it?

YouKnowWho
12-14-2010, 03:04 AM
which Lien Gung exercises do you do in class, on a regular basis?
How much class time is devoted towards Lien Gung?

I teacher students how to Lien Gung so they can do it at home by themselves. I don't do Lien Gung in the class. IMO, the best way to utilize the class time is to train

- 2 men drills, and
- spar/wrestle.

Also both solo forms and solo drills can be don't at home. There is no need to do that in class either.

ginosifu
12-14-2010, 06:16 AM
I normally have the first 15 minutes of class, stretching and warm ups. The next 30 minutes is Lin Gung Exercises.

Horse Stance Jumping Jacks = Like a regular jumping jack but sit ina horse stance when going out. Stand back up as normal.

Monkey Jumps = Hands touch the ground then jump up. Similar to a basketball jump shot.

Donkey Kicks = Bend down hands on ground and kick back and stand back up.

Tiger push ups = Start from standing, then bend down and walk out into a fingertip push up, then walk back up to standing.

Crunch Sit Ups = Lay on back and hands behind your head. Crunch up about half way.

Kiu Sao / Bridge Hand = Sit down into horse and do 10 dynamic tension Kiu Sao's. 10 sets of 10.

ginosifu

TenTigers
12-14-2010, 10:08 AM
He Gino, ya still interested in those puzzle mats?

chusauli
12-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I didn't know you taught Hung Ga. Was there any reason you stopped and do you still practice any of it?

I still practice it personally for myself.

I'm not into teaching a lot of students. When I first moved to Los Angeles, I taught Hung Ga in Monterey Park along with WCK.

As the kids had no root or strength, I spent a lot of time drilling them in basics. Later, other students wanted to fight, so I started teaching WCK. And when people came by and wanted to test me out, it was apparent I used WCK more.

I still like Hung Ga and feel it is my root. I went to visit John Leong and YC Wong and other masters in HK and always had a good time to learn from them and see variations in the sets.

I occasionally do the sets and play the weapons along with my WCK and Neijia practice.