PDA

View Full Version : Respect

Johnny Hot Shot
04-17-2001, 10:53 PM
Should a Person be respected just because of their rank?

baji-boy
04-17-2001, 11:10 PM
Intresting question...I think that a certain amount of respect should be given, but not to the extent that ego's come into play. It's good to have respect for everyone, no matter what rank, personality, etc. IMO... :D

inyo
04-19-2001, 04:03 PM
in martial arts we should respect everyone,irrespective of rank.this is something that i struggle with at times.there are a lot of pretenders out there,and others with no concept of good manners or etiquette.i believe that if i disrespect someone else then i disrespect myself,however i do not always live up to my own expectations.like i already said i struggle with it.oossuu!!! :rolleyes:

Merryprankster
05-15-2001, 02:36 PM
Boy, I actually had to wrestle with that, as I am in the military.

I finally figured out, I don't have to respect you, I just have to do what you tell me, and take away whatever lessons you can provide. Respect doesn't even come in to play.

Highlander
05-15-2001, 05:28 PM
Merryprankster .......... You may have hit on the proper perspective when you mentioned you were in the military. When I was in the military we were taught that when we salute we are showing respect for the uniform, what it represents, and those that have worn it honorably before, not neccesarily respect for the man in the uniform. I think the same could be applied here. Showing respect for the rank, what it represents, and those that have come before us, not neccesarily the person currently holding the rank

Budokan
05-15-2001, 07:11 PM
No. I respect someone because they are another human being. Not because of rank. Rank means nothing. Being human is what counts.

There are high-ranking people in my school I do not respect because of their attitude, and some lower ranking people I respect quite a lot because of same. Again, rank does not automatically condone respect in my book. Show me what you know, how you perform your techniques, and I'll respect that, if you deserve it. I refuse to bow down and respect any Joe Flunk off the street simply because he has "rank."

I mean, come on. :rolleyes:

K. Mark Hoover

joedoe
05-16-2001, 08:06 AM
Respect should be earned.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Seeker of the Way
05-21-2001, 08:58 AM
Way I see it.. My Sifu has trained several kung fu styles for over 35 years, and he can probably kill me by looking at me.

That in itself makes him worthy of my respect.

Then again, I do respect everyone I fight, no matter if I know their rank or not. If I don't respect them, I'm likely to get cocky, before getting my ass kicked :cool:

Peace,
SotW

"I know Kung Fu."