PDA

View Full Version : WCK skills to deal with boxing defensive cover up

kung fu fighter
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
here is a good question http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92173

How do you guys use your wing chun skills to deal with this without resorting to the typical kicking him below the waist?

couch
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Same way boxers do it.

I try and do two things:
1. Look for holes to strike (including rib/body shots, etc)
2. Pull the hands down and out of the way (lop sau)

Also, having patience is a good thing, too. In a moment, the 'covering up' will be gone.

YungChun
12-17-2010, 01:50 PM

How do you guys use your wing chun skills to deal with this without resorting to the typical kicking him below the waist?
What rule-set?

Don't wait--use any passive action (time) to destroy him!

BiuJee...(elbows)

The hacking elbow can be devastating IME..

You can also grab one or both of his arms and hit him with them and control him...

Combine elbows/knees.

And don't leave out any legal moves to break his horse with your horse..

jeetsao
12-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Since wing chun is all about economy of motion, why would you not kick to the groin or knee ? Yes, you can uproot, or try to lop or pak but a low strike, knee, or kick will open the upper line for finishing strikes.

KPM
12-17-2010, 05:56 PM

If he's covering up, he's not attacking or striking. Use Lan Sau to jam him and break his structure, then turn him so you can continue your striking from an angle. Don't stay in front of him and give him the opportunity to start punching.

Phil Redmond
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
If he's covering up, he's not attacking or striking. Use Lan Sau to jam him and break his structure, then turn him so you can continue your striking from an angle. Don't stay in front of him and give him the opportunity to start punching.
Not bad Captain/Major? I know you've been promoted since I last talked to you.

KPM
12-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Not bad Captain/Major? I know you've been promoted since I last talked to you.

Hey Phil!

Its Major now. And I'm headed to Iraq for the second time in a couple of months. Hopefully we'll be some of the last U.S. GI's there.

couch
12-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey Phil!

Its Major now. And I'm headed to Iraq for the second time in a couple of months. Hopefully we'll be some of the last U.S. GI's there.

Stay safe, man. How long you going for?

Ultimatewingchun
12-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Absolutely. Stay safe, Keith.

bennyvt
12-18-2010, 02:04 PM
just step slightly or angle to side and hit from the outside of elbows. Pak can hans to knock the arms across to open small holes. Use the hole made by the punch and use the next punches to keep it open.

Pacman
12-18-2010, 03:54 PM

this is what chi sau is for

KPM
12-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Stay safe, man. How long you going for?

Would have been a year with a possibility of being shortened to 9 months or so, since the plan is for the majority of US troops to be out by December. But I applied for a second residency training in Dermatology and got it! So they will have to bring me back early....in May, so I can get moved back to D.C. by July. So I got lucky and will only have to be gone about 5 months.

Keith

Vajramusti
12-19-2010, 02:46 PM

------------------------------------------------------------
bue jong sao...simple, economical and effective.

joy chaudhuri

Phil Redmond
12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey Phil!

Congrats ad be safe there. You'll get a salute from this enlisted man if we ever meet. :)

Wu Wei Wu
12-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Having a full cover is just a single variable. How is tall is he? How heavy? Is he aggressive, defensive or counter fighter? What is his mobility like? What are the rules of engagement? How big are the gloves? How is his weight distributed over his legs? How does he telegraph? What is his hip position? Does he have a reach advantage? How fast is he? (All of these can be determined within a few seconds of observing him).

What are his weaknesses? What can I use to my advantage?

Generally speaking, all things being equal - I give it to the boxer over the WC man.

I question the training of any WC man who thinks he can e.g. pak, lap a reasonably quick boxer.

Suki

jeetsao
12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Unless you are in an agreed upon "match" you don't have time to figure any of this out. So.................................. groin kick

Niersun
01-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Take down.