PDA

View Full Version : Snake Crane Mantis Style????

blackjesus
12-21-2010, 08:07 PM
It seems Melbourne is the home of Kung Fu style that I never heard of....

http://www.auskungfu.com/Profiles.html

"Many of the skills of this style are direct descendants of Chow Gar Tong Long and Yang Family Tai Chi. Both these styles have hundreds of years of history.

The praying mantis is the basis of the kung fu system but emphasis is also placed on the crane and snake techniques as used in the application of traditional Tai Chi. The animal techniques have been united to be simultaneous, spontaneous and adaptable to allow the appropriate technique to be employed as required. All methods have been developed in accordance with the ancient Taoist principles of Yin/Yang. The exponent of this style never directly blocks or attempts to control force through brute strength, instead the exponent uses every opportunity to harness the opponents’ energy.
"

B-Rad
12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
So, sounds like he might have learned taiji and southern mantis and combined them? (mantis + the snake and crane inspiration story from taiji)

blackjesus
12-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Found some of their videos:

www.youtube.com/user/KungFuMelbourne

Crane/Shake/Pa Qua Defence/Chi Sao forms???

The Chi Sao form looks remotely like Southern Mantis style but I don't understand what the other 3 forms are doing.

I emailed the school in regards to their style. No reply yet.

ginosifu
12-22-2010, 05:41 PM
It is difficult to say exactly what they are doing in the forms unless they explain how they apply it. Looks sorta like Chow Gar?

Forms are just an expression of the self are they not.

Do they have any application vids up?

does not look too bad...

ginosifu

blackjesus
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Nah, no application vidz.
It doesn't look bad but doesn't look like traditional southern mantis forms. Maybe I shouldn't approach it as Southern Mantis but their own Snake Crane Mantis style.

5thBrother
12-23-2010, 02:53 AM
The style's lineage is via the Sue-Tin Brothers OZ Chow Gar Tong Long. Denis & Guy Sue Tin are relatives to Malcom (who now teaches his own system) and Henry Sue. It's a fairly well known style in Oz at least for those more aware of Chinese Martial Arts in Australia, and those interested in Lam Tong Long.

Lin Waan Sarm Sao is another branched off style.

I think there is / was a few Hok Se Tong Long (Crane, Snake, Mantis) guys on here...

I think "Tao Boy" was on...

do a forum search ... australian southern praying mantis, taoboy.. 5thBrother :P ... hok se tong long etc...

ps. non of the forms are chow gar tong long forms. They are creation unique to hok se tong long. ...

if you looking for a "pure" or "traditional" for lack of a better words Southern Praying Mantis system.. hok se tong would not be it. But it would be related and worth studying, as would say Bak Mei or Lung Ying, etc if that is all that is in your area....

Good Luck

Merry Xmas All~

TenTigers
12-23-2010, 01:09 PM
mmm..dunno. It looks like they break alot of structural rules of SPM..elbow position, back, alignmnet. It's one thing to apply the softness and yeilding and spiraling energies of Tai Chi or footwork of Bot Gua to SPM, which is similar to what Lam Sang's Jook Lum has, but when you lose all your structure, then I think it's superficial window dressing.

sanjuro_ronin
12-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Hybrid systems try to take the "best", the 'strengths" of mulitple systems and make one without any of the weakneses.
Problem is that while that may work with an INDIVDUAL how over many years effortlessly has combined what he has learned of multiple systems into one, it doesn't work as well with a system per say.
If a system as a distinct structure and so does another one ( SPM and Tai Chi for example) one ends up compromising one systems "power generation" for another since they really don't complement each other in the beginning.
Now, take one of the other after 5 years of training ( for example) and then add the other system gradulaly, giving the practioner further options at that point, then you have a different story.

kungCopper
01-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Video of the style:D

http://www.ozmaforums.com/Forums/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1393

goju
01-02-2011, 04:01 AM
i just watched the chow gar video, Not familar with the style but would that be considered any good?

too bad they didnt show any applications or sparring either.

TenTigers
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I viewed the snake, crane, chi-sao form, and pa kua form videos.
One more reason not to visit Austrailia

blackjesus
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I viewed the snake, crane, chi-sao form, and pa kua form videos.
One more reason not to visit Austrailia

hahahaha... what about our awesome coffee, beer and wine?

There are also some good Kung Fu Schools here in Melbourne. WSL Wing Chun, Duncan Leung Applied Wing Chun, Lam Family Hung Gar...etc.

My Hung Gar teacher also teach Wing Chun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5eQgw_3Z1g

of course... Hung Gar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Kjh5Beb6g

(I'm not a/the representative of my sifu's school, cos I've been talking Kung Fu instead of practising Kung Fu since I was crapplied by a Daito Ryu master at the try out class).

if you looking for a "pure" or "traditional" for lack of a better words Southern Praying Mantis system.. hok se tong would not be it. But it would be related and worth studying, as would say Bak Mei or Lung Ying, etc if that is all that is in your area....

Good Luck

Merry Xmas All~

I am interested in Bak Mei but they don't look like Bak Mei to me.

TenTigers
01-04-2011, 09:39 AM
hahahaha... what about our awesome coffee, beer and wine?

There are also some good Kung Fu Schools here in Melbourne. WSL Wing Chun, Duncan Leung Applied Wing Chun, Lam Family Hung Gar...etc.

My Hung Gar teacher also teach Wing Chun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5eQgw_3Z1g

of course... Hung Gar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Kjh5Beb6g
great stuff indeed! I had the opportunity to train with Sifu Alan Lee and Si-Bok Leung would make frequent visits.(there's a pic somewhere floating on the internet of him punching me ;-) I have trained in several Wing Chun schools and IME Applied Wing Chun is the best I've ever seen.
The Hung-Gar looks very good as well. Lam family if I'm not mistaken.
So, ok, that and beer. What else does one need? I'm sold!