PDA

View Full Version : Boston Southern Styles in general

Hermes3X
01-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Anybody training in Boston? I'll be moving in May and I was curious if there's any Southern stuff in Boston - Southern Mantis, Hung Gar, Chow Li Fut. I'm sure there's Wing Chun. No need to tell me.

thanks for any info

Dale Dugas
01-04-2011, 10:53 AM
There is no southern mantis, though there is Hung Ga, Choy Lei Fuht in Cambridge.

You will want to come visit Nam Pai Academy at 33 Harrison Ave 7th floor. That is where Shifu Larry Wong teaches Hung Ga. He is very good.

I teach there as well but I teach Baguazhang.

Contact me when you come to Boston, I will let you know where everyone who is anyone teaches.

iunojupiter
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
You could check out Winchell Woo's Hung Gar School.

http://www.hunggarboston.com/

I've met him and some of his students a couple times when I worked on the Mass Turnpike. They'd stop in at my store when traveling back to Boston from Springfield. They were generally very pleasant and nice, and I'd always talk to them when they came in.

I've never seen their kung fu, but I have seen their lion dance at New Years and it's pretty good.

Worth a look.

Mas Judt
01-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Wasn't there a Bak Mei group in Boston?

Dale Dugas
01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
The freemasons taught Bak Mei and other systems. Not open to the public.

No longer any active public Bak Mei that I know of.

Hermes3X
01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Dale, thank you very much. I sure will contact you.

Jack McNally

hskwarrior
01-10-2011, 11:18 PM
The freemasons taught Bak Mei and other systems. Not open to the public.

No longer any active public Bak Mei that I know of.

chinese free masons?

iunojupiter
01-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Yes, Chinese Free Masons.

I see them every year for Chinese New Year's... they come across as pretty bad ass. All black lions, a couple of their lead guys doing lion dance are pretty jacked....

My Sifu told us stories about celebrating Chinese New Year back in the 70's... the Free Masons would carry knives in their lion heads and attack other schools lions. Of course, that was back in the day when teaching to outsiders was considering the ultimate no no still...

How they act today, I have no idea, but I love their lions. They're pretty sweet.

Cheers.

Dale Dugas
01-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Dale, thank you very much. I sure will contact you.

Jack McNally

Jack,

You are most welcome. I look forward to meeting you.

hskwarrior
01-11-2011, 07:30 AM
My Sifu told us stories about celebrating Chinese New Year back in the 70's... the Free Masons would carry knives in their lion heads and attack other schools lions. Of course, that was back in the day when teaching to outsiders was considering the ultimate no no still...

its true. we used to do this in San Francisco as well. lots of stories.