PDA

View Full Version : kung fu degree

plummantisgeek
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
okay so im a soldier if afghanistan, and i practice plum blossom mantis daily. i love it. i started practicing in korea four years ago and now i cant stop. anyway when my deployment is over i would like to live off of the post 911 gi bill and get a degree, but i dont care about getting a degree that gives me a good job (please no responses with degree or carreer advice i get that shallow crap enough from my sergeants.) i just want to study kung fu but i have to go to an accredited college to get my gi bill. anyone know of a university with degree plans in martial arts or even just a good kung fu club. oh and the gi bill will pay for foriegn colleges so anywhere in the world would be okay. thanks for the help.

SanHeChuan
01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I remember a few questionable "degrees" being posted here before. I'll have a look. Found it (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-40198.html).

Your best bet would be in china at Beijing sports university (http://www.chinastudyabroad.org/bsuuniv.aspx) or some place similar.

You could go to OSU and join the Shaui Chiao Club (http://www.osukungfu.com/drweng.html), or any University that has a big Kung Fu club.

Other Links

University of Bridgeport (http://www.bridgeport.edu/academics/undergraduate/martialarts/)

Indiana University (http://www.indiana.edu/~martial/certificate.php)

Amerstate University (http://www.auwi.org/)

Martial Arts as a College Degree (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art58536.asp)

David Jamieson
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
A kung fu degree will get you exactly no where in North America.
It's literally meaningless here.

In China, you could get a degree, but it would be in competitive wushu for the most part and allow you to instruct there, etc etc. I'm sure more guys here could help you to understand that aspect of China's school system. I could be wrong, but I think it's all about the wu shu there.

My personal opinion would be that it is your best bet to get a certification at instructor level in combatives (if you are a us servicemen), get your certificate from yoru current kungfu master if s/he gives them and get yourself an academic degree in kinesiology or sport training (gym teacher), sports medicine or some other legit and complimentary degree to what it is that you apparently love to do.

MasterKiller
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
get yourself an academic degree in kinesiology or sport training (gym teacher), sports medicine or some other legit and complimentary degree to what it is that you apparently love to do.

T h i s .

plummantisgeek
01-04-2011, 01:04 PM
i have level 2 combatives instructor cert. but combatives is lame lol and at my rank its near impossible to get into level 3 (it goes to level 4 but thats just administration on how to set up a combatives program on a base its not really a martial arts class despite what some people say one of my 1SG's was a level 4.) anyway if i dont get a degree in martial arts im getting one in art i dont care about a good job i just want to have fun ive been a flight medic for five years now and am sick of seeng blown up people i just want to get a degree in somthing fun

SenseiShellie
01-04-2011, 01:21 PM
get yourself an academic degree in kinesiology or sport training (gym teacher), sports medicine or some other legit and complimentary degree to what it is that you apparently love to do.

For sure this. Part of martial arts is not just harming, but also helping people. You would be a complete martial artist IMHO if you were go with Kinesiology or Sports Medicine...

Drake
01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
No such thing as an accredited kung fu program for any college. It doesn't exist, and the GI Bill won't pay for it.

MasterKiller
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
i have level 2 combatives instructor cert. but combatives is lame lol and at my rank its near impossible to get into level 3 (it goes to level 4 but thats just administration on how to set up a combatives program on a base its not really a martial arts class despite what some people say one of my 1SG's was a level 4.) anyway if i dont get a degree in martial arts im getting one in art i dont care about a good job i just want to have fun ive been a flight medic for five years now and am sick of seeng blown up people i just want to get a degree in somthing fun

A good job will provide enough time and money (and insurance) to study your martial arts the way you want.

I work 8 to 4, have 5 weeks off a year, and have enough disposable income to justify not working any harder. ;)

plummantisgeek
01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
lol i dont really care if its a "kung fu" degree i could get a degree in general studies or whatever i just have to be enrolled in a degree program to get the tuition and housing allowance just a college with a CMA class or club or decent school near by

Lucas
01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
If you are completely serious in your posts, then you should look around for a place you really want to train, then find a college near it and go to school there. get your degree in what ever you want (its your life not mine, who am i to know what makes you truly happy, i agree the money is all BS just be happy and you are richer than most :D ) and learn great martial arts while you are doing that having fun. i do agree taht you can suppliment your martial art training in a variety of degree choices. no one understands your artistic free spirit better than you do! ;)

narrow down some training sources you would like to check out, make sure everything is on the up and up. visit when ever possible.

thank you very much for the past 5 years you have been out there helping to save lives. you deserve to do what ever you dang well please, grumbling kungfu know-it-alls aside :p

he isnt looking for a kungfu degree, he is looking to see if such a thing exists that he could use as a link for the gi bill.

SoCo KungFu
01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
You seriously need to go back and do your homework. Not only does GI Bill not pay for "any college in the world," it doesn't even pay for any college in the US. Colleges have to be certified not only with a recognized US accredidation board, but also have to be VA certified for the government to cover your tuition and housing allowance. Furthermore, I don't know exactly how much you think you'll be getting, but you'll be very lucky if your housing is anywhere over $1k-$1200/month. And that's to cover EVERYTHING (Rent, food, electricity, water, insurance, etc, etc). And it doesn't cover times between semesters when you aren't class (unless you specifically tell them to do so, and that time is deducted from your total benefits leaving you out of money before you finish your degree). So, you'll either be finding some alternate source of income or living off student loans like everyone else. Now this isn't to say there aren't SOME schools in foreign countries that qualify, but they are very few and far between. I do believe there was 1 in China (Shanghai), I think. But that was about 8 years ago I looked into that with the education office.

I know how you feel, I did a few years of my time as a flight medic as well. But you should really think about if this is the best way to reach your goals.

FuJowPai
01-04-2011, 02:53 PM
OP, I may be the only one here who can directly relate to your situation. I'm an Army vet and also love training and studying martial arts. I trained in kenpo for almost 5 years before I went into the military. I was stationed overseas in Germany and then was sent to Iraq for Desert Storm. I had to use my ma training to literally save my life. So to say that I came to love and appreciate martial arts even more after that, is an understatement. You wrote that you're a medic well I understand how you feel. I wasn't a medic, I was an 11b which is the worst crap MOS to have during a time of conflict but hey it was my choice. But I've seen death first hand so I feel where you're coming from. I joined my first kung fu school not long after I was discharged and have been happily training since.

You said that you don't want career advice and I can understand that. You might not care right now about what you major in, but wouldn't it be good to major in something that will allow you to continue your pursuit of martial arts training? Some people have suggested degrees in kinesiology. A degree in kinesiology alone is good if you want to be something like a high school gym teacher. If you want something that will allow you to work anywhere in North America, I would suggest physical therapy. I'm a physical therapist and I love it. Basically you never have to work nights or weekends, it's a pretty good paycheck, and you get to learn the inner workings of human anatomy that can enhance your own study and application of martial arts.

Because of my training and exp. in pt, I've been able to travel a lot and as a result was able to train with some of the most respected and venerated martial arts instructors in America. My hours are such that if I decide to start teaching at some point, it wouldn't be a burden on my schedule. If you want to be a physical therapist the GI Bill will help (I used it myself) but you'll need to get a doctoral degree (D.PT). If you don't want to invest that kind of time, you can also be a physical therapist assistant which doesn't pay as well of course, but still allows you a lot of choices on being able to live pretty much anywhere you want. PTA's do most of the grunt work but it's nothing compared to what you've already gone through. You can be a physical therapist assistant with only an associates degree.

If you don't want to do anything like that, I would suggest a degree that will have international appeal. Some health care fields allow you to be able to work overseas. Another option might be something like accounting or international business. By the time you finish college the economy should be back on track and having any of those degrees could open the door for you to be able to work and live in a variety of countries. I know someone with a bachelors in psychology and he's working as an English teacher in Korea and loves it. Hell, if I had the opportunity many years ago I would've done the same thing.

Many universities here in the states have some type of martial arts classes and clubs. At the university I attended there were karate, judo, aikido, kung fu, and even a ninjutsu club.

SoCo KungFu
01-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Fujowpai.

If TGY is any indication, an education in PT can do wonders for your understanding of MA.

International business or language is also a good choice. I know a girl I used to do kungfu with that went in and majored Mandarin Chinese and business. She's in China now doing a year internship on scholarship and will possibly have a job lined up somewhere either in China or in the US close to a heavy Chinese community. Either way is good for kung fu in the long run. Although ironically at the moment she is too busy with her internship in China to actually do kung fu.

pazman
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
You can indeed get a degree in "Traditional Chinese Sports" in China, which would include a traditional gongfu track. However, keep in mind that "traditional gongfu" in China means something very different than what most people think of.

I may have to elaborate on the thread concerning the duan ranks, but if you study it as a university major, you will learn a collection of taolu meant to represent the traditional "essence" of Chinese gongfu. In "real" traditional gongfu, students will learn basics, two-man drills, coordination exercises, breathing, etc. At Chinese universities, however, taolu (forms) are the only thing practiced. In other words, you get a "taste test" of different styles, without truly training traditional gongfu.

On the plus side, however, the students at the school I teach at are given a very sound basic training in qigong, and get to learn cool weapons like the meteor hammer.:cool:

Plummantisgeek, if you situation allows for education outside of the US, here's my advice: don't go for a "Traditional Chinese Sports" degree. Instead, enroll at Beijing Sports University (or in Wuhan or Xian) and get a four-year degree in Chinese language or Sports Medicine. Make connections to find a gongfu teacher and train in your spare time. As a student, you'll be able to attend extra classes as you like.

Drake
01-04-2011, 06:40 PM
You CAN get a degree in that, but don't expect the Army to pay for it. Like mentioned earlier, there are some stringent requirements for using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. It's generous, but it isn't so you can get some crazy, useless degree.

curenado
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I also worry about the discrepancy between getting a degree vs regular training. I am not sure the degree style would give you what you want.

By all means get a degree in something fun, but it does not have to be primarily Kung Fu for you to have or use it in your work.
My medicine is a part of my Kung Fu and I use Kung Fu often enough in medicine. It is just less fortunate for people that is all they usually get out of me - just medicine, because they don't have time for Kung Fu.

I think you have a great spirit and hope you will follow it. I don't see why you can't take formal training in something related and use gung fu in that as well as maybe even open your own club. Don't GI's get a pretty good loan opportunity?
Take online classes in medicine (alt medicine at Everglades includes Traditional Chinese Medicine) and open yourself a club at the same time - talk about doing something fun!

David Jamieson
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
attaining a degree doesn't mean you have to stop training to get it.

If you want something bad enough, you will find a way, you will do your homework and you will know what you say you know. :)

Lebaufist
01-04-2011, 10:08 PM
How is a thermometer like a MA?

Neither degree will get you a job.

pazman
01-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Also remember, having a degree, no matter how "useful", does not get you a job. Therefore, do a degree that gives you the most options for doing what you love the most and that will challenge you. And do it well. While a gongfu degree in China would certainly be fun and cool for 4 years, after you might be limited in your further studies. In my opinion it would not necessarily qualify you to open your own school in the US. Getting a degree in Chinese language in China will definitely make it much easier to study with traditional masters. Upon graduation, you could go to grad school, business school, law school, or study more martial arts in China. Or even get a job:eek:

SPJ
01-05-2011, 07:44 AM
there are many aspects of kung fu.

why not get a degree on physical education, sports medicine, or asian study(philosophy, history---)

and do your kung fu training on the side.

have a day job, college degree and mastering your kung fu, too.

---

:)

GeneChing
03-27-2019, 07:56 AM
What would you even do with a degree in Martial Arts? I mean aside from my job. :o

Sadness as University of Bridgeport drops naturopathic medicine, martial arts majors (https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/University-of-Bridgeport-to-drop-Naturopathic-13715902.php)
By Linda Conner Lambeck Updated 11:49 pm EDT, Tuesday, March 26, 2019

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/01/24/67/17124832/31/920x920.jpg
Photo: Christian Abraham / Hearst Connecticut Media File Photo
Dr. Jennifer Holdorf, right, clinic coordinator with the University of Bridgeport’s College of Naturopathic Medicine, works with students Ryan Attar, left, and Matthew Castanho at the college in 2016.

BRIDGEPORT — The University of Bridgeport’s decision to close out a number of majors including its two-decade-old naturopathic medicine program was greeted Tuesday with sadness and shock.

“This is a tremendous loss for Connecticut and for the naturopathic community at large,” said Dr. Rick Liva, legislative chair of the Connecticut Naturopathic Physicians Assocation. “We are saddened and disappointed by this decision.”

UB announced Monday that the major, one of a handful of accredited naturopathic medicine programs in the Northeast, was being phased out, along with majors in Martial Arts, Design Management, Religion and Politics and East Asian and Pacific Rim Studies.

The degree in martial arts has been at UB since 2004 and was the first of its kind in the country. The naturopathic medicine program got its start at UB in 1997, with its first graduating class in 2001.

In a letter to the university community on the first day back from spring break on Monday, Provost Stephen Healey said UB will stop accepting applications for those programs for fall 2019.

Also being discontinued are a number of concentrations in masters programs in Technology Management and Business Administration that have limited or no enrollment.

“Students currently enrolled ... will be able to complete their degree at the University of Bridgeport,” said Healey. He said he has begun consulting with faculty and students in affected programs.

On Monday, some students and former students said there were tears.

“It was a sad day,” said Derek Reilly, who graduated in May 2018 with a degree in naturopathic medicine. He now practices in New Hampshire.

Reilly said his main question is “why?”

Healey said the decision was difficult and based on a number of factors, primarily enrollment, revenue and student outcomes.

“All educational institutions constantly consider their academic inventory,” Healey said.

This fall, UB reorganized, merging 14 schools and programs into three colleges: Arts and Sciences, Health Sciences and a College of Engineering, Business and Education, under its new president, Laura Skandera Trombley. She came to the university in July 2018.

Combined, there are about 100 students total enrolled in the cut programs, including 74 in the four-year naturopathic medicine program. There are about 15 faculty members affected. Some may be shifted to other programs.

In its place, UB plans to launch several new programs including an online bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice and a bachelor’s degree in Performing Arts — which it has had before. The College of Engineering, Business and Education will launch a bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering Technology. In addition, UB will increase its investment in the Criminal Justice, Psychology, Design and Nursing programs, according to the provost.

The cuts, Healey added, will free up resources for other programs.

Healey said there are no plans at this time to shut down UB’s chiropractic medicine, acupuncture or nutrition programs, which many thought meshed nicely with naturopathy.

Reilly said there was some crossover with students in one discipline taking courses in the other. His class had about 30 students. Fewer in classes that came behind him.

“It still seemed like a good size class,” he said.

Connecticut has allowed the practice of naturopathic medicine since 1920. At one point, UB had as many as 115 students in the program but in recent years, the program has been on the decline, Healey said.

“It could bounce back, but at 74 it seemed now is the time to phase the program out,” Healey said. It will take three years to close out the program unless students transfer to other schools.

The decline at UB does not seem to reflect the national trend, according to Dr. JoAnn Yanez, executive director of the Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges. She said the field is seeing unprecedented gains.

“This program’s closure is unfortunate, but the decision was clearly made as part of a larger University of Bridgeport plan, which includes both the elimination of several programs and introduction of new programs outside of the healthcare field.” Yanez said.

Dr. Kendra Becker, a UB grad who practices naturopathic medicine in Waterford, called the news sad but maintains the university never did anything to promote or showcase the program.

“The saddest part is the naturopathic clinic served an underserved population and those patients have nowhere to seek care once the clinic closes,” she said.

In Connecticut, naturopaths have a limited practice scope and as a result, Becker said, many students select other schools or leave the state after graduation to practice.

For years, naturopaths have been fighting to get the right to write prescriptions in Connecticut.

State Rep Steve Stafstrom, D-Bridgeport, said the Bridgeport delegation has been pushing legislation to make the naturopathic program more competitive.

“I was surprised to read of this news,” Stafstrom said. “The program was pitched to us a source of pride for the university and an economic driver for the city.”

lclambeck@ctpost.com; twitter/lclambeck

THREADS
kung fu degree (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?59432-kung-fu-degree)
Complementary Medicine FAILS (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69442-Complementary-Medicine-FAILS)