PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my Gym

Iron_Eagle_76
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Here are some recent pictures of my gym I am building, still under construction so it is a work in progress, but should hopefully be completed in a few weeks.

goju
01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
noice :D:D:D

sanjuro_ronin
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Sweet, what are you going to put in there?

Iron_Eagle_76
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Sweet, what are you going to put in there?

It will be a martial arts gym, will have Pai Lum and San Shou class on Tuesdays and Thursdays with open gym Saturday morning. My wife if putting her treadmill in the corner but aside from that it will have two Thai bags, 85 lb boxing bag, double end ball, two 70 lb bags for throwing and ground n pound, and kick shield and focus mitts for circuit training.

It's not a huge place, it was the foundation of an old house on my property that I built off of, which helps because since I own it I don't have to worry about rent. But it is 14ft wide by 40 ft. long and will have about 504 sq ft of matted area for circuit training, basics, and sparring. I will post another pic when it is finished in a few weeks. (Hopefully)

sanjuro_ronin
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Good Man !!
If you can invest in a "grappling/throwing" dummy, the ones that you can use for striking too, I would.

Iron_Eagle_76
01-06-2011, 12:52 PM
:D
Good Man !!
If you can invest in a "grappling/throwing" dummy, the ones that you can use for striking too, I would.

I plan on that ronin, I have worked with those before at other gyms and they are great. Unfortunately I am pretty tapped out right now with construction supplies, mats, heavy bags, and everything else I have had to purchase. So it will be in the near future but I will have a throwing dummy. If I spend anymore money at this point I'm going to be eating Ramen Noodles and cheese crackers for dinner for the next three months!:D

David Jamieson
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I take it that's your basement?

You might wanna box and pad your mechanicals in, it looks a bit tight in there, but usable! Still, wouldn't wanna fall into your hotwater heater or breaker box!

Good on ya for making an effort like this!

Hardwork108
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Here are some recent pictures of my gym I am building, still under construction so it is a work in progress, but should hopefully be completed in a few weeks.

Wow, that punchbag looks really scared. :D

BTW, nice one!

Violent Designs
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Congratulations.

EarthDragon
01-06-2011, 04:08 PM
sweet iron, looks great so far, rememeber mirrors double your sq footage

sanjuro_ronin
01-07-2011, 06:40 AM
:D

I plan on that ronin, I have worked with those before at other gyms and they are great. Unfortunately I am pretty tapped out right now with construction supplies, mats, heavy bags, and everything else I have had to purchase. So it will be in the near future but I will have a throwing dummy. If I spend anymore money at this point I'm going to be eating Ramen Noodles and cheese crackers for dinner for the next three months!:D

I feel your pain !!
There are some good deals out there, not too long ago they would cost over 800 bucks but now you can get them for under 300.

SteveLau
01-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Iron Eagle,

Your upcoming self-made gym makes me jealous. I would like to have a similar one too. One thing I would like to mention is that have you had the safety figures calculated? Hanging several bags along the same line under the roof might put too much stress on the beams, especially when they are swinging. Why not use standing dummys? They are quite popular now.

KC
Hong Kong

SPJ
01-09-2011, 08:40 AM
cool. much envy.

a reserved or dedicated place for practice.

I am so used to the great outdoors.

for a whole month in So Cal, it rained non stop and then was very cold.

I was doing only weight training in my crowded and crammy living room.

----

:)

Iron_Eagle_76
01-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Iron Eagle,

Your upcoming self-made gym makes me jealous. I would like to have a similar one too. One thing I would like to mention is that have you had the safety figures calculated? Hanging several bags along the same line under the roof might put too much stress on the beams, especially when they are swinging. Why not use standing dummys? They are quite popular now.

KC
Hong Kong

How I hung them is by using a 14 ft. 2 x 8 and screwing it into each rafter with 3 4 inch wood screws. I drilled through and doubled up with a 2ft piece and screwed in a galvanized eye hook that is rated to hold 500 pounds. This is what each bag is hung on, as well as a porch swing spring which is rated to hold 300 pounds, this is key because it absorbs much of the shock and impact when hitting them. By running that long board it distributes the weight more evenly along the roof instead of putting all the weight on one set of raftors.

I also ran 2 x 4 cross bucks in between each raftor to prevent the roof from swaying back and forth. So far it has worked pretty well, it has a little up and down bounce but is expected. I plan on keeping an eye on them and will do measurements to check and see if the trusses begin bowing downward, because that is when you run into trouble.

The gym should be fully completed by next weekend, I will post more pics when it is done.

SteveLau
01-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Iron Eagle,

So I am quite relieved that you have the safety figures calculated before the construction took place. Regular preventive maintenance to check the ceiling beams and equipments will make safety measure complete. One thing that I like your gym equipments is that you have various size and weight of bags there. For example, students can train kicking to the lower gate on the tall red bag. Oh, a wooden dummy in place might just make your set of training equipments perfect. Perhaps I am a perfectionist.

Eager to see your fully completed gym.

KC
Hong Kong