PDA

View Full Version : Zhai Yao Er Lu - Comparative Study

mooyingmantis
01-09-2011, 06:44 PM
A few weeks ago we had a good discussion going on the different versions of the Essentials #1 (zhai yao yi lu) form. Tonight I decided to start a discussion of Essentials #2 (zhai yao er lu).

Below I have listed the techniques of the first section in one version of the Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan set Zhai Yao Er Lu (Essentials #2) as taught by Zhang Zhen Yuan.

Feel free to add comments concerning how the version you learned may be different than this.

Zhai Yao Er Lu
Essentials #2

01. Gather Power
02. Right Reverse Qilin Step with Double Hooks
03. Horse Pattern, Right Chopping Palm to Er Men
04. Reverse Qilin Step, Immortal Points at Road
05. Left Grab with Left Front Kick
06. Right Front Kick with simultaneous Right Circular Claw Strike
07. Right Jade Ring Step and Left (Double) Rising Elbow Strike
08. Left Jade Ring Step and Right (Double) Coiling Elbow
09. Right Forward Step and Right Rolling Arm Strike
10. Left Forward Step with Right Awl Character Strike
11. Left Seven Star Step with Right Inverted Awl Character Strike
12. Left Seven Star Step with Left Gua and Right Inward Split to Temple
13. Right step forward with Double Downward Palm Blocks
14. Left Seven Star step with Left Outward Block and Right Awl Character Strike

mooyingmantis
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Movement 02:

This posture is traditionally known as 螳 螂 雙 封 下 “Praying Mantis Double Seals Descend” (táng láng shuāng fēng xià).

Here is the description of this move taken from my book Diao Fa: Mantis Hook & Claw Methods:

Step the right foot sideward a little past shoulder width distance. Circle the arms in a counter-clockwise movement from five o’clock to nine o’clock. When the palms reach the nine o’clock position sweep them forward across the body back to the three o’clock position while shifting into qi lin bu (麒 麟 步 qilin step) with shuang gou shou (雙 勾 手 double hook hands).
This movement is a double palm sweeping block that ends in double hook grabs to the opponent‘s left attacking arm. It represents the keyword 采 cai (pluck) which is a jerking pull used to uproot the opponent’s stance, causing him to stumble forward.

An example of the Qilin Step (麒 鱗 步 qí lín bù) can be seen here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=439600484480&set=a.439598454480.197292.750549480

However, in this form the head would face toward the rear with the hands more to the side of the body than in the photo.

Here is a drill we practice in my school to train movements 02 - 04:

雙 勾 掌 擋 穿 爪
shuang gou - zhang dang - chuan zhao
double hooks - palm block - piercing claw

The opponent throws a right lead punch. Mantid sweeps the punch aside with double hooks to the right. The opponent executes a left reverse punch. Mantid deflects the attack with a right cross palm block, then pulls the opponent’s left arm down and attacks with a left high piercing claw to the opponent’s eyes. The opponent cross palm blocks with the right hand, pulls mantids left arm down while switching his feet and executes a left lead punch. Mantid sweeps the punch aside with double hooks to the left. The opponent executes a right reverse punch. Mantid deflects the attack with a left cross palm block, then pulls the opponent’s right arm down and attacks with a right high piercing claw to the opponent’s eyes.

This drill is also found in my book.

Here is a video of my son and I doing two versions of the drill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp2gvR8HO2I

Tainan Mantis
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
02. Right Reverse Ride Scales Step with Double Hooks

What does this mean?
Scales?

mooyingmantis
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
What does this mean?
Scales?

鱗 lín fish scales

That is the literal translation.

When I first translated the phrase 騎 鱗 步 qí lín bù I wondered if it might actually be a h o m ophone error and refer to the 麒 麟 qí lín Qilin, one of the four fabulous beasts mentioned in Chinese mythology. Notice that both have the same tones.
However, I chose to go with what was written and the literal translation of the phrase "ride scales".
Chinese art often uses the motif of a small child riding atop a fish.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated!

Tainan Mantis
01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
鱗 lín fish scales

refer to the 麒 鱗 qí lín Qilin, one of the four fabulous beasts mentioned in Chinese mythology. Notice that both have the same tones.

Chinese Phonetics
It is the creature.
Chinese has a very strong phonetic component. Much stronger than modern Chinese people give it credit.
In English the meaning is related to the sound.

In Chinese, the meaning should be related to the character first, and the sound second. In other words, you would need to see the character to verify the meaning of the word.

But, in actuality, it does not work like that. Any character that the writer knows that fits the sound he is looking for will suffice.
As a student learning Chinese this is unacceptable from the language instructors perspective.
Hence, the strong tendency of educated Chinese to give less weight to the phonetic component of the written word.

Boxing manuals where passed down originally as short songs or phrases describing the techniques. Later came a habit of writing the sound down.
So, when translating the manual it is important to have a good understanding of what the original sounds were as that is how the manual was passed down.
When making translations of boxing manuals.

The Poem of Commands
In ancient times orders were sometimes transmitted through rhyming verse.
To understand and use this method of transmission all the soldiers had a song that they sang. When an order or secret command needed to be transmtted it was told as a 5 or 7 character rhyming verse.
This helped to insure that there would be no mistake in the transmission of the message.

This may have something to do with the habit of transmitting technique names from generation to generation, since the soldiers would already be familiar with the process.

YouKnowWho
01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
麒鱗步 is also called "monkey" stance.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTYwNDA2OTY0.html

mooyingmantis
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Chinese Phonetics
It is the creature.

Boxing manuals where passed down originally as short songs or phrases describing the techniques. Later came a habit of writing the sound down.
So, when translating the manual it is important to have a good understanding of what the original sounds were as that is how the manual was passed down.
When making translations of boxing manuals.

The Poem of Commands
In ancient times orders were sometimes transmitted through rhyming verse.
To understand and use this method of transmission all the soldiers had a song that they sang. When an order or secret command needed to be transmtted it was told as a 5 or 7 character rhyming verse.
This helped to insure that there would be no mistake in the transmission of the message.

This may have something to do with the habit of transmitting technique names from generation to generation, since the soldiers would already be familiar with the process.

Kevin,
Thank you for the feedback! I am glad my inference was correct concerning Qilin. I will change my two initial posts to reflect that.
Your added information was very interesting!

John,
Thanks for the add information and the video clip!

Here is an article on the Qilin with one photograph of a statue rendering:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/110049/qilin

mooyingmantis
01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Movement 04. Reverse Qilin Step, Immortal Points at Road

Of the six examples I have seen of Essentials #2 each includes the traditional movement 仙 人 左 指 路 xiān rén zhǐ lù (The Immortal Points at the Road).

The movement can be interpreted as a left piercing claw strike to the eye or as a open palm strike to 耳 門 ěr mén.

Again, I present this same video as an example of movements 02 - 04: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp2gvR8HO2I

-N-
01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
麒 鱗 sometimes loosely translated as "Unicorn".

As in the actor's nickname, Unicorn Chan.

iunojupiter
01-13-2011, 05:45 AM

We refer to the above as Xia Dan San (spelling?).
Small Hill Climbing.

The reverse of that, where the back thigh is parallel to the ground with the knee up and the front knee turned down to the ground is what we refer to as "monkey stance". Body and intent is still facing the forward direction.

mooyingmantis
01-14-2011, 01:20 PM
We refer to the above as Xia Dan San (spelling?).
Small Hill Climbing.

小 登 山
xiǎo dēng shān (Mandarin)
siu dang saan (Cantonese)

Junojupiter,
Thanks for the information!
What is the weight distribution that you were taught for this stance? Front/Rear? 60/40, 50/50, etc.?

iunojupiter
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks Richard.

Weight distribution is about 70/30 I would say, for both Small Hill Climbing and Monkey Stance.

SHC- 70/30 front leg
MS- 70/30 rear leg

iunojupiter
01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
First Several Moves of Zhai Yao Er Lu

Start facing "North".
- from start, step into right leg forward small hill climbing with right hand supporting a left arm block (defending against a kick).
- look left, left arm goes left to block punch, right hand pats opponents arm out of way, left hand strikes face, return to guard position in cat stance face "west".
- left hand hooks (attack to eyes or as defense against attack) while left foot kicks (instep roundhouse). This I believe would be Richard's Immortal Points at the Road.
- Follow with right hook to head while right leg roundhouse.
- Step into right foot forward lady stance (jade ring) towards north west, right hand blocks/grabs opponents arm with left rising elbow to break opponents arm.
- Step into left foot forward small hill climbing stance towards south west, left hand blocks/grabs opponents arm with right horizontal (coiling) elbow to opponents arm.
- Step into right foot forward small hill climbing stance towards north west, left hand supports right arm push (not sure for name of this strike. left hand supports right wrist, right arm is parallel to ground and can be used to push the opponent or shoved into throat area as a strike.)

Cheers,
:D

mooyingmantis
01-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Junojupiter,
Very good and easy to follow description! I have seen it played the way you describe it. Does your version come from Master Zhang Bingdou's lineage?

- Step into right foot forward small hill climbing stance towards north west, left hand supports right arm push (not sure for name of this strike. left hand supports right wrist, right arm is parallel to ground and can be used to push the opponent or shoved into throat area as a strike.)

I do not know what this movement is called in TJMH (still have more translating to do). However, in WHF's book the type of movement you describe is referred to as 滾 膀 gǔn bǎng ("rolling arm"). Perhaps someone else can provide us with the proper TJMH term.

mooyingmantis
01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
05. Left Grab with Left Front Kick
06. Right Front Kick with simultaneous Right Circular Claw Strike

鸳 鸯 腳 yuān​ yang jiǎo - Mandarin Duck Kick

Movements 05 & 06 feature the famous Mandarin Duck Kick theory of Master Lin Chong, one of the original eighteen masters from which Praying Mantis boxing was developed, according to legend.

There seems to be some diversity as to which kicks are applied here. I have seen double front kicks, one front kick and one roundhouse kick and two roundhouse kicks, depending on who was performing the movements.

Yet, in nearly every performance the hand work was the same. The first kick was preceded by a left grab and the second kick had a simultaneous hook punch (yang zhang, quan chui or quan zhao chui) attached to it.

Shrfu Xia Zhao Long refers to the kicks as:

连 环 脚 lián huán jiǎo - Linked Ring Legs (e.g. chain or continuous kicks)

mooyingmantis
01-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Here are the same set of moves as taught by Shrfu Xia Zhao Long

01. Cross fists left over right in front of the face
02. Left Forward Step with Left Outward Block & Right Horizontal Chop
03. Left Backfist (“Immortal Points to the Road”)
04. Left Grab with Left Front Kick
05. Right Roundhouse Kick with Right Hook Punch
06. Right Twist Step with Right Grab & Left Rising Elbow Strike
07. Left Forward Step and Right Coiling Elbow Strike
08. Right Forward Step and Right Supported Forearm Strike

mooyingmantis
01-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Chi Hak Yuen Version

01. Gather Power
02. Left Forward Step with Left Outward Block and Right Splitting Strike
03. Left Ride Tiger Step with Immortal Points to the Road
04. Left Grab with Left Front Kick
05. Right Front Kick with Right Two Finger Eye Jab
06. Right Jade Ring Step and Left Rising Elbow Strike
07. Left Jade Ring Step and Right (Double) Coiling Elbow

mooyingmantis
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
07. Right Jade Ring Step and Left (Double) Rising Elbow Strike
08. Left Jade Ring Step and Right (Double) Coiling Elbow

In Shrfu Zhang Zhen Yuan's version, both the rising elbow strikes and coiling elbow strikes are executed to the front and rear simultaneously. In other words, in movement 07 the left elbow rises to the front while the right elbow rises to the rear at the same time.

In Shrfu Xia Zhao Long and Shrfu Chan Hak Yuen's versions, the right hand grabs the opponent's arm while the left arm rises to lock/break the opponent's elbow.

The coiling elbow of movement 08 can be used to topple the opponent over the front leg.

mooyingmantis
01-18-2011, 04:47 PM

Shrfu Sun De of the Yantai Wang Lang Mantis Boxing Rearch and Promotion Center refers to this move as 封 肘 fēng zhŏu - sealing elbow.

Shrfu Zhang Zhen Yuan refers to the move as 臂 肘 bì zhou - forearm elbow.

iunojupiter
01-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Master Sun De of the Yantai Wang Lang Mantis Boxing Rearch and Promotion Center refers to this move as 封 肘 fēng zhŏu - sealing elbow.

Thank you Richard! That sounds familiar, I think that's what I've heard it referred to. There was another name as well, but sealing elbow sounds right.

Cheers,
Josh

mooyingmantis
01-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Junojupiter,
No problem!

Side Notes:

- After movement 09 each of the versions I have seen depart greatly from one another.

- It should be mentioned that the Zhai Yao Er Lu form of Qixing Tanglangquan (7* PM) is very different than the Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan form of the same name.
Here is a video of the Qixing Tanglangquan form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqS1uprXNj4

- The Mimen Tanglangquan version of the form has several movements added to the beginning of the form that precede some of the movements described above. You can watch one of their versions here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3iSja0_7Ec&feature=related If I remember correctly, this is actually a demonstration of the beginning of Zhai Yao Er Lu and another form joined together.

Tainan Mantis
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
- The Mimen Tanglangquan version of the form has several movements added to the beginning of the form that precede some of the movements described above. You can watch one of their versions here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3iSja0_7Ec&feature=related

Not Mimen.
Mimen Zhai Yao looks nothing like this.
The first half of this form is Li Kunshan's 2nd Zhaiyao, the 2nd half is more pizzazz thrown in for a nice demo.

LKS 2nd Zhai Yao is similar to other versions of Mei hua, Taiji and several 7* schools (not HK 7*) with a very interesting addition.
Right after the first move of the form, Turn the body left points the way it has the opening moves of old 7* form White Ape steals Peach thrown in.

Tainan Mantis
01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
OF 8 Step Mantis.
Their 2nd Zhai Yao also has that White ape steals the peach move in the beginning.
This is perfomed by Zuo Xianfu. He was in charge of leading the classes up until the day Master Wei passed away.

八步螳螂拳 (8-step praying mantis) 摘要二段 (部份) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SGC9QoHriU)

mooyingmantis
01-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Not Mimen.
Mimen Zhai Yao looks nothing like this.
The first half of this form is Li Kunshan's 2nd Zhaiyao, the 2nd half is more pizzazz thrown in for a nice demo.

LKS 2nd Zhai Yao is similar to other versions of Mei hua, Taiji and several 7* schools (not HK 7*) with a very interesting addition.
Right after the first move of the form, Turn the body left points the way it has the opening moves of old 7* form White Ape steals Peach thrown in.

Kevin,
Thank you for the correction! I apologize for the error!

Young Mantis
01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Though the conversation has moved on from movement #2, I only just saw the thread and wanted to clarify the correct characters since it was repeatedly listed incorrectly.

The correct characters for the qilin - mythical beast, sometimes translated as Chinese Unicorn as stated by -N- should be
麒麟
notice the of the "deer" radical on the left for both characters.
It is not 鱗 even though the animal is often depicted with a scale-like appearance.

Vance

mooyingmantis
01-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Though the conversation has moved on from movement #2, I only just saw the thread and wanted to clarify the correct characters since it was repeatedly listed incorrectly.

The correct characters for the qilin - mythical beast, sometimes translated as Chinese Unicorn as stated by -N- should be
麒麟
notice the of the "deer" radical on the left for both characters.
It is not 鱗 even though the animal is often depicted with a scale-like appearance.

Vance

Yep, that is what I thought. Though the text I was referring to did use 鱗 rather than 麒. I figured it must be a mistake. Glad to hear another confirmation of that.

Any thoughts on why the zhai yao er lu of HK tanglangquan is so different from the others?

Tainan Mantis
01-29-2011, 01:29 PM
玉 女 過 橋 - yù​ nǚ guò qiáo (Jade Maiden Crosses Bridge, if this goddess is the subject of the action)

I have seen this one.
Dizzy maiden is what it sounds like if you say it quickly so it also has been written that way, the technique sometimes is performed like a dizzy girl walking (which I think is correct way to perform).

mooyingmantis
01-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Kevin,
Thank you for clearing that up! :)

At the end of the HK Seven Star Lanjie the technique definitely has a drunken type feel to the move. So your comments definitely make sense.

B.Tunks
01-30-2011, 03:11 AM
MM,

That movement is not in er lu. I'm pretty sure I didn't say it on my site either (mentioned it but not in that context). Thanks for citing me though. I don't really want to write my quan pu here but #9 is: He Shou Qi Ma Shuang Kou.

Also, 'Mainland' QXTL is different in Yantai, Qingdao, Shenyang, Dalian etc. As far as zhaiyao, our family is quite different to other QX lineages so not much use for your analysis. In my opinion the most important thing is what's written in your own quan pu, not in others.

BT

Tainan Mantis
01-30-2011, 07:18 AM
That movement is not in er lu.
BT

Right, I was just thinking of the move itself.
Not in er lu.