PDA

View Full Version : Issue involving child and Shotokan instrutor

Furious Tiger
06-27-2001, 04:48 AM
I was just on the phone with a female friend of mine who's son has been talking Shotokan Karate for a little while now. Tonight in the Dojo, he was sparring (he is 7, is that normal at such a young age?) and was probably partialy embarrased and physically hurt. He complaimed about chest pains and was hit in the eye. Now I know that he does not take his art seriously (who did at 7?) as he should. She has told me that the Sensei (if he is one), abuses the chilren both mentally and physically. He forces the parent to sign a two or three year contract and they have to pay to test, etc. (is all this normal) My gut and experience tell me NO! I am a Shao Lin Practitioner and know that these are not normal. I have advised to seek another Sensei/Dojo. My question to anyone is She is looking for a Shotokan Dojo in Brooklyn, NY. Specificaly Clinton Hills, Prospect Heights, Park Slope or Fort Greens area. I would appreciate any assistance in this

Furious Tiger

Budokan
06-27-2001, 02:47 PM
This guy sounds like a jerk. We don't allow anyone under the age of 16 to spar in our dojo, but I guess different people do it differently. We also don't have binding contracts that lock you in for years. That's dumb. This lady definitely needs to take her kid out of this place.

I don't know about any shotokan places in the region you're looking for. You can go to 24fightingchickens.com and click on 'Shotosphere' and do a search. Maybe you'll come up with something.

But your friend sure needs to get her kid out of there. I sure as heck would.

K. Mark Hoover

Stranger
06-27-2001, 04:53 PM
I thought it was illegal to have contracts for health clubs, martial arts schools, etc. that were longer than one year. That might help you get the kid out of the program without losing money or facing a collections agency.

A lot of McDojo's get young kids to pressure their parents into signing a long contract. This sparring could be phase two. They will then beat on you sadistically until you never want to return. End result, the McDojo draws every month on your checking account for three years, the child only attends for a brief period. The dojo is never full and the money pours in. It is all about turnover. Once they have the contract, they don't want to see you again.

"Luminous beings are we."

rogue
06-27-2001, 05:48 PM
Tiger Schulman just won his case in court that MA schools are not health clubs and don't have to follow the same rules.
Lucky us.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Robinf
06-28-2001, 06:40 PM
Sparring at a young age is common, but the kids should be wearing full protective gear, and the instructors should be careful to watch and see if a child is getting out of control and is hurting the other kids.

Some kids just don't like sparring because they get angry when they get hit (understandable). The rules and goals of sparring should be explained to and understood by all the children and parents. Even then, you do get some kids who will blame their partner for hitting them, when it was his/her own fault for just standing there.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.