PDA

View Full Version : iphone capture of our class last week

EarthDragon
01-17-2011, 01:12 PM
my student tom did some filming and editing (believe it or not form his iphone) during our class last week and he put this together, hope you enjoy, all comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMcTVots5U

mooyingmantis
01-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Nice! Amazing what you can do with a phone these days. :)

EarthDragon
01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
makes us look good LOL

Tainan Mantis
01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for posting that. It was fun to watch.

EarthDragon
01-20-2011, 06:20 AM
your welcome tainan, thanks for watching. I would love to se other vids up as well. We are going to start up a move of the month for our own youtube channel i will post some here.

mooyingmantis
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
your welcome tainan, thanks for watching. I would love to se other vids up as well. We are going to start up a move of the month for our own youtube channel i will post some here.

Sounds great!

EarthDragon
01-21-2011, 08:16 AM
www.youtube.com/cobramixedmartialart

please post up some of your schools videos and les gt this rolling, I figured it would be a great tool for discussion learning and sharing when we have youtube to use

-N-
01-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Ok, here's a clip from this Sunday morning's class.

The student is working on a combination of kwun lao and au lou choi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFA25nNV8hM

YouKnowWho
01-23-2011, 07:16 PM
all comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMcTVots5U

At 0.42, the guy used his right palm to hit on top of his right foot. It may be more challenged to use your foot to meet your right finger striking hand. This way when your students ask you, "What's the usage of the hand slapping on top of the foot?" you can say, "It's groin kick and eyes jab at the same time".

mooyingmantis
01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Nice! Very fast hands! What is kwun lao? Sorry, don't know much Cantonese. :o

Violent Designs
01-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Some of the techniques look a little fancy, but I'm sure it's easy to break it apart and simplify in the face of chaos and violence.

Thanks for sharing. :cool:

EarthDragon
01-23-2011, 08:05 PM
-N-
nice combo's thanks for sharing, do you guys train outside on a regualr basis? I did teach for free in Deleware park for a year but then always got bothered when a crowd formed to watch, and stop us to ask questions but never wanted to join, so we would head indoors.

YKW

At 0.42, the guy used his right palm to hit on top of his right foot. It may be more challenged to use your foot to meet your right finger striking hand. This way when your students ask you, "What's the usage of the hand slapping on top of the foot?" you can say, "It's groin kick and eyes jab at the same time".

for sure it could be use dthat way, those 2 are new students and learning the 10 body coordinations the first basic thing one learns in our system.

Violent,
8 step mantis is a true fighting art and almost all of the moves can be used in actual combat full speed.
All the techniques I teach have total street application and are simple to execute.

I stay away from the complicated combinations and the not for real/resistant fighting applications found in so many styles. These have been tested in the field shall we say.

I will be showing more applications with a sport MMA flavor included but the moves are basically the same. you can perform them for show, ring or street.

Violent Designs
01-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Well, I thought they were good techniques, some just a bit more intricate. But it's just a personal view with no foreknowledge of any 8-Step, so don't take what I say as an insult to your style or videos (that wasn't the intention anyway).

I just thought some were a bit intricate in application, maybe with 4-5 movements in combination or sequence, and thus harder to pull off than 1-2 movement sequences/attacks.

That is all there is too it.

I'm not a MMA guy and I don't demand anything as such... this is not what's his name, KnifeFighter that you are talking to, LOL.

Cheers

-N-
01-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Nice! Very fast hands! What is kwun lao? Sorry, don't know much Cantonese. :o
Thanks Richard. He needs to be faster. His first attacking hand still can be grabbed.

Kwun lao is our abbreviation for combination of kwun jeong followed by lao jeong as from the Plum Flower sets. Rolling palm and leaking palm. Most times you see the motion performed too wide and too shallow in application.

So the clip shows rolling palm, leaking palm, and inside hook-grapple-pluck combination. We added the double leg setup and throw so that he would maintain his attacking momentum instead of slowing down too soon.

In fact, we added the au-lau-choi to force his kwun-lao to be faster.

Kwun lao sets up the au-lau-choi. The au-lau-choi finishes elbow deep through the opponents face. After he is stunned, the double leg and throw are easy and is just to be mean.

He needs more work on the last 2 motions as well. The penetration is not deep enough, and he doesn't have a feel for the backward throw.

-N-
01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
-N-
nice combo's thanks for sharing, do you guys train outside on a regualr basis? I did teach for free in Deleware park for a year but then always got bothered when a crowd formed to watch, and stop us to ask questions but never wanted to join, so we would head indoors.
You're welcome.

Yes, we are outside every Saturday and Sunday. My Si Hing and co-teacher is outside on Wednesday as well.

People watch, but usually don't disturb us. That tended to happen more in San Francisco when we were at Golden Gate park.

I don't mind that people don't join. We usually try to redirect them to the other schools and even McDojo's. Most people aren't serious, and if they are, we might work someting out.

mooyingmantis
01-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks Richard. He needs to be faster. His first attacking hand still can be grabbed.

Kwun lao is our abbreviation for combination of kwun jeong followed by lao jeong as from the Plum Flower sets. Rolling palm and leaking palm. Most times you see the motion performed too wide and too shallow in application.

So the clip shows rolling palm, leaking palm, and inside hook-grapple-pluck combination. We added the double leg setup and throw so that he would maintain his attacking momentum instead of slowing down too soon.

In fact, we added the au-lau-choi to force his kwun-lao to be faster.

Kwun lao sets up the au-lau-choi. The au-lau-choi finishes elbow deep through the opponents face. After he is stunned, the double leg and throw are easy and is just to be mean.

He needs more work on the last 2 motions as well. The penetration is not deep enough, and he doesn't have a feel for the backward throw.

-N-,
Thanks for the thorough explanation! Even though we have have a school building, I prefer training outside. Just something about it to me. :) But since it has been in the 20sF here in Ohio lately, I do enjoy the warmth of a building. We can't all live in Cali. :D

ShaolinDan
01-24-2011, 08:53 AM

I agree it's harder (and prob better kick training) to make the foot reach the hand, but the way shown in ED's vid is also a correct method, "It's groin kick and palm strike to brow at the same time."

YouKnowWho
01-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I agree it's harder (and prob better kick training) to make the foot reach the hand, but the way shown in ED's vid is also a correct method, "It's groin kick and palm strike to brow at the same time."
It will be even harder to use the palm edge instead of the fingers if you turn your palm sideway. Since the palm edge is shorter than the fingers, you have to lean forward further and that require more "flexibility".

As far as I know, only longfist and mantis train this way. I haven't seen any southern styles apply this training method yet.

ShaolinDan
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
My understanding is a descending strike with the heel of the palm (fingers are up, not to side).
Anyway, I've been shown both ways teacher, but we use the spear-hand variation more often because it takes a stronger kick to get a good slapping sound.

YouKnowWho
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
The "spring - drop foot back" after the kick is also a very important skill to train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81ccS0i4cY

EarthDragon
01-24-2011, 12:22 PM
YKW

The "spring - drop foot back" after the kick is also a very important skill to train.

absolutly, I engrain this into my begining students to hold the posture and place the foot down instead of falling into the step and not holding your poise. This makes you have more control down the road and allows grace when moving

mooyingmantis
01-24-2011, 03:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81ccS0i4cY

John,
Very nice! I agree that this is an important skill to develop for balance and leg strength.
I always enjoy your videos.

Michael Dasargo
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Ok, here's a clip from this Sunday morning's class.

The student is working on a combination of kwun lao and au lou choi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFA25nNV8hM

Nice one Norm! Kids are comin' along nicely. Lookin' forward to seein' them tear it up!

Mike

-N-
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Nice one Norm! Kids are comin' along nicely. Lookin' forward to seein' them tear it up!

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Probably will take that one to check out an open sparring session this weekend.

You guys gotta come by to visit soon.