PDA

View Full Version : My sincerest apologies to Budokan and other karate practitioners.

phantom
07-03-2001, 12:22 AM
I apologize to you guys for my remarks downgrading Shotokan and other karate styles. I am personally still am not impressed with karate styles other than kyokushinkai, kenpo, and tae kwon do. But that is just my opinion.If you guys are happy practicing other karate styles, than I am happy for you. I wish you the best of luck in your studies. Peace. :D

phantom
07-03-2001, 12:27 AM
I also realize that there is more to martial arts than just fighting, and I am sorry if I made myself appear like I felt otherwise.

Budokan
07-03-2001, 02:52 AM
Nah, you don't have anything to apologize for.

Even throughout karate I believe there are some styles (like kyokushinkai) that *might* have an edge over others--but that doesn't mean the others are any less effective in the hands (and feet) of a skilled practitioner.

I really do believe that when push comes to shove it's always the man and not the art that decides the final outcome.

My two yen.

K. Mark Hoover

omegapoint
07-03-2001, 04:57 AM
Who are you? Where have you been? What have you accomplished as an adult? Have you ever sparred or fought with, oh let's say, a Shorin Ryu person (I bet a girl would give you a run for your money)?
It's obvious, like 90% of suckas' out there, you don't have the foggiest!!!! :mad:

Kristoffer
07-03-2001, 11:46 AM
omegapoint

what the hell is your problem? He said he was sorry you ass ****er

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Budokan
07-04-2001, 01:12 AM
Some people just don't read the previous posts. That's why they call it a THREAD.

Next time, please pay attention, and take notes if you have to. :D

K. Mark Hoover

rogue
07-04-2001, 05:28 AM
Omegapoints life must be vary empty if this is what he get's worked up about.

Hey Omega, what's you enlightened opinion of Isshinryu?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

omegapoint
07-04-2001, 05:57 AM
Rogue: It's a cool style with street validity.
Everyone Else: I'm not angry just perplexed at the rampant ignorance, and I'm no "ass-****er", whatever you're trying to imply by that, Issac Newton,Jr.!!! :mad:

joedoe
07-04-2001, 09:26 AM
Hmm some strong views there.

So there is life in this neck of the forum :D

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

rogue
07-04-2001, 04:05 PM
Omega, perplexed is one thing but you sound like your on a Jihad. How about this, point out specific things that you think are wrong with a style.

For example, why do you consider Isshinryu street effective (which surprised me due to it being a hybrid), but you think Shotokan is a complete waste of time.

Also could you offer advice on how to make a style that may not be fighting effective better.

Sounds like you have something to offer but your approach isn't getting your message across.

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

omegapoint
07-05-2001, 02:18 AM
What I have to offer is my individuality and the way it effects my perception. Diplomacy is needed many times, I agree, but one of my flaws is the inability to use it when needed (sometimes)! I never start a thread, and occasionally just browse through this forum until I come upon something I agree or disagree with, and then I chime in (sometimes too loudly).

As for Shotokan, I have trained with, sparred, and chilled with Shotokan stylist. My first assistant instructor was a Shotokan Sandan and very good. He even admitted that the style of Shotokan he learned was very good for self-defense and competition fighting, but lacked certain principles such as change-body and whipping power. It was very similar to Shorin, but a bit "harder" and much more linear.

Still, all that being said, there are few Karate styles that provide the street effectiveness and sound MA principles that Shotokan provide (in a relatively short time). Some things were lost in the relaying of the message from founder to modern practitioners and bunkai can be found in its father style. Most Karate is similar, but all share some innate innovativeness. Does that make sense?

We've had a couple of different outlooks on things in the past, but it's this diversity of opinion that makes everything stonger and more interesting. Keep me on my toes and accept my sincerest apologies for being brash and bullheaded!! Later, and have a wonderful summer!

rogue
07-05-2001, 04:58 PM
Cool Omega, can't ask for more than that.
I primarily study ITF TKD, but since the techniques and kata are either Shotokan or derived from Shotokan I'll put myself in that camp. While I like what I'm learning I think I understand what you mean by "broke". Some techniques and kata seemed to have been changed for aesthetic reasons which reduced their effectivness. While these things are broke many can be fixed. One thing that is broke in my opinion in the style I study is sticking/pausing a technique at it's end instead of immediatly retracting it. Another is the propagation of misinterpretation of techniques in the kata, even when it makes absolutly no sense. More infuriating are when senior students buy into the wrong explaination.

Outside of everyone switching to Shorin-ryu what suggestions do you have for fixing or correcting the broken parts? One thing I've learned to do is watch more of what the master does instead of what he says. I've seen him do techniques during sparring contrary to the way he taught them. Guess which way was more effective?

Louis L'Amour

omegapoint
07-06-2001, 03:14 AM
Rogue: There are many traditional Okinawan camps that teach Bunkai. Since TKD, Shotokan, and Shorin Ryu are of one lineage it would be best to attend a camp that focuses on Shorin bunkai as opposed to Goju bunkai (although the latter may be just as beneficial). The main principles not taught in the more modern interpretations, sinking power and what not, are known by those who practiced for years under many of the "Masters" on Okinawa. Depending upon your locale my Sensei may be having a seminar in your area soon. Everyone who attends his seminars leaves with a brand new Okinawan/Chinese perspective on application interpretation. If you want any more info on Bunkai and Kobujutsu camps just ask and I'll provide some addresses and numbers.

Most of us will never be involved in a real street altercation, but you can never be sure. I just don't want people feeling overconfident with their fighting prowess and then getting hurt in the long run. I've seen this stuff all my life and that's why I'm so adamant in my opinions sometimes. Don't think that everyone that contributes to this board is some know-it-all no nothing, or some troll looking to get a rise out of suckers. Some of us are legit, and have genuine concern for our fellow man or woman. I just like to convey what I've experienced and that's it.Later bruh'...
PS: In Hip Hop slang a "broke" somethin' is a cheap imitation of the original. It's alright if you "bite", but the outcome must be as effective or more effective than the original. Innovation not dilution is the keyword here. :D

omegapoint
07-06-2001, 03:37 AM
I've been told by a couple of folks that this documentary series in Goju, Shorin and Uechi Ryu is the best video they've seen so far on the Okinawan arts.http://www.yoe-inc.com/karate/images/karate-56K.wmv. Check it out and tell me how it is if you do.Later...

rogue
07-07-2001, 05:57 AM
"If you want any more info on Bunkai and Kobujutsu camps just ask and I'll provide some addresses and numbers."
That would be great. Anything in Virginia or North Carolina?

I've been minoring in Isshinryu and using those bunkai to help with the traditional (1940-50 traditional? Oh well) TKD. My TKD master knows many bunkai but doesn't start to teach it till black belt and above.

I'll check out those videos next time I get some extra cash.

Have you checked out Elmer Schmeisners(sp?) book on the Tekki Bunkai? Don't know that I agree with everything in it, but interesting.

Louis L'Amour