PDA

View Full Version : Jook Lum praying mantis form question

TopCrusader
01-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Hello!
If there is anybody here who practices Jook Lum Southern Praying Mantis, I have a few questions.
Could you tell me what the "um han" form is? I also found mention to a "um moy fat" form as well as 18, 36, 72, 108 point formulas.
If you could give me some background on these and what they entail, I would be very thankful!

PlumDragon
01-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Its just an intermediate form taught in some lineages. While I used to actually enjoy doing that form, its just a series of movements, while adhering to the SPM posture; nothing profound about it.

Dont ask too many questions, theyre watching... :rolleyes:

TopCrusader
01-22-2011, 02:24 PM
HA yes! The walls have ears around here....

You say it is a intermediate form,... a footwork form? Or does it have striking moves, etc? I tried googling it and found basically nothing. Does it go by another name?

Thanks and I'll try to keep my questions to myself LOL :D

jo
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Its a short two-man exercise to develop sensitivity and "changing" of your power.

Here is a variation of it...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JookLumFist#p/u/28/hg2tA0hBn3k

Is it profound? Yes and No. Yes if you know how to practice it correctly, knowing what you are putting into and getting out of it. No if all you are doing flailing away wildly.

-jo

PlumDragon
01-22-2011, 06:59 PM
You say it is a intermediate form,... a footwork form? Or does it have striking moves, etc? I tried googling it and found basically nothing. Does it go by another name?The version I learned (which is vastly different than the link above) has both a single and two-man version. It does have footwork in it, much more than Sam Bo Gin, for example. It does a lot of turning, both with the torso (not coiling, but turning of the entire body) and with the strikes and also tends to stress the mantis posture, for example, the elbows come up higher than they did in previous forms. If you have deficiencies in the way posture is held in Jook Lum, then the new motions tend to exploit those items.

Thanks and I'll try to keep my questions to myself LOL :DQuestions are ok...and so are answers! Just, some people still arent comfortable with this sort of thing, so dont be surprised if you get some strange replies.

jo
01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
PlumDragon: are you referring to what is commonly known as "the two-man" Sambogin?

The video I posted starts with the beginning of that two-man set and goes up until the "five hands", which are repeated three times in the video. The normal practice is to do that section once and then continue on with the set.

In my experience, the "five hands" is just a section is part of that two-man set, and that section alone was taught simultaneously with Sam Bo Gin so that one could develop power from SMG and sensitivity from the "five hands".

Once one had attained a certain level of understanding, the entire "two man" set was taught and the "five hands" added in. There is continuous striking, kicking and full body turns in the set.

Does the set you are referring to start the same as in the clip i posted? With three strikes going forward and then three blocks moving backward?

There is no right and wrong, just different experiences.

-jo

PlumDragon
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Jo,

PlumDragon: are you referring to what is commonly known as "the two-man" Sambogin?No, although I suppose some of the stuff I mentioned does apply to both sets.

In my experience, the "five hands" is just a section is part of that two-man set, and that section alone was taught simultaneously with Sam Bo Gin so that one could develop power from SMG and sensitivity from the "five hands".I learned them all separately but like you, I recall the sets were to be all done as one long concurrent regimen once they were all known.

Does the set you are referring to start the same as in the clip i posted? With three strikes going forward and then three blocks moving backward?Partially: It starts with the 3 punches and my experience was that all the 2-man forms started like that: Loose Hands, 2-man SBG, Um Hon, etc all had that similar opening but differered by the end of the 3 punches, each presenting their own unique "answer" that was an evolution of the previous principles. The clip I am seeing there looks more like Loose Hands, but its not that either...I have no idea what that is in the video, although many of the trappings are obviously present in multiple sets.