PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Bamboo training?

TopCrusader
01-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Hello, I am familiar with the basic principles, training methods, and techniques of (Ip Man) Wing Chun....I ran across this picture and wondered if anybody here would know what this is about? Its a pic of a young Bruce Lee performing some type of training. Is this training found in Wing Chun? Have a name?
Thanks

bennyvt
01-23-2011, 04:23 AM
dont go by what he did. he didnt know alot of vt anyway. But Its looks abit like the arm poping bit out of chum kiu. It can be done in any direction but is supposed to pop the elbow out of the socket not break an arm. You would have to be pretty strong to do that. But I used to practice on bamboo sticks. They grow at work and I read a thing about it so I gave it a try.
But a warning. (anyone above age ten probably doesn't need to learn this) Make sure you put the ehd of it in something stable. Ie against a fence, pole etc. Anything to keep the end straight like a shoulder would. (darwin award if I could have killed myself)I seen them at work, thought hey give it a try. Broke off a branch and did the move out of chum kiu. Now think what would happen with out the end being fixed. Yeh I did it and as soon as my top hand hit the pole before the botton it spun up and smashed me in the face.
I wish I had more brain cells.:D

KPM
01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
I think he's just using the resistance of the bamboo for a little "energy training." There is a more well-known picture of him standing square with his arms extended under a horizontal bar so that he is pressing forward and upward into the bar as a form of conditioning. This would fall into the same category. Nothing special.

TenTigers
01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
we practice this in Jook Lum SPM. Bruce had hooked up with some SPM guys in NYC, so he may have gotten it from there.

TopCrusader
01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
TenTigers,
Thanks for the input. I had just been reading about BL's time spent with Master Gin Foon Mark for about 1 month and saw that along with other things, he was taught several forms of training with equipment.

While we're on that topic, in interviews Master Gin Foon Mark says BL really liked the "Sweeping front kick" of Jook Lum. Does that kick sound familiar? Chinese name? Thanks again.

LoneTiger108
01-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Bruce was a great innovator and loved to make his own exercise and drilling equipment. This may have been something he picked up along the way, from SPM as suggested.

In Wing Chun we tend to use the rattan rings for similar dynamic tension-like development and I have heard that the extremes of CK used to be trained through bamboo fences!

Vajramusti
01-24-2011, 06:25 AM
Bruce was a great innovator and loved to make his own exercise and drilling equipment. This may have been something he picked up along the way, from SPM as suggested.

In Wing Chun we tend to use the rattan rings for similar dynamic tension-like development and I have heard that the extremes of CK used to be trained through bamboo fences!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW-- with sustained wing chun training- you don't need bamboo fences and rattan rings--- though for play- one can do many things.

joy chaudhuri

LoneTiger108
01-24-2011, 09:18 AM
FWIW-- with sustained wing chun training- you don't need bamboo fences and rattan rings--- though for play- one can do many things.

And what do you call 'sustained' Wing Chun training Joy?

Whatever you may think of bamboo fences and rattan rings, I can assure you they are not toys. But each to their own. If you have never learnt rattan rings before you wouldn't know any better would you?

Vajramusti
01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
And what do you call 'sustained' Wing Chun training Joy?

Whatever you may think of bamboo fences and rattan rings, I can assure you they are not toys. But each to their own. If you have never learnt rattan rings before you wouldn't know any better would you?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sustained wing chun- staying on a good Ip Man related path-enjoying the surrounding scenery but continuously developing.
On the rings- you underestimate me-but that is ok I have seen them being used and have played with them-
but don't use the, Yes- to each his own.

joy chaudhuri

LoneTiger108
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Sustained wing chun- staying on a good Ip Man related path-enjoying the surrounding scenery but continuously developing.
On the rings- you underestimate me-but that is ok I have seen them being used and have played with them-
but don't use the, Yes- to each his own.

I couldn't underestimate you Joy!! Of all people who post here I know you are 'one of the good'uns'!