PDA

View Full Version : 100 push-ups

Sardinkahnikov
01-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Having decided to improve my pushups, I looked into this program:

http://hundredpushups.com/

Has anyone any observations regarding it or any kind of other suggestions?

sanjuro_ronin
01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Muscular endurance, which is what doing 100 pushups is all about, is one of the easiest things to work on and develop.
It doesn't mean much per say to be honest, but it is fun.
You just do as much as you can and try to do more over a period of time.
Some people are great at push-ups with no effort and others need more.
Personally I find the strength of my pressing/pushing more vital (how much I can push/press) than how many times i can push/press, but to each their own.

Personally if you can do more than 20 I suggest working on more advanced push-ups like plyo, one handed, elevated, one legged, etc.

Sardinkahnikov
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to get back into swimming, so I figured I'd improve my upper body resistance.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those.

mickey
01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Greetings,

Sardinkahnikov,

There is a weightlifting exercise that is done on a decline bench. It uses two dumbbells. The person lies down with his head in the lower position and performs a butterfly swimming motion with the dumbbells. You may need a partner assist with this. That exercise may be more specific to what you are trying to achieve. Just don't go too heavy.

A complementary exercise to the aforementioned would be reverse flyes.

mickey

Edit: I forgot something. Don't underestimate your muscle memory, man. Swim!! Your body will respond.

sanjuro_ronin
01-26-2011, 12:51 PM
swimming is all about technique Bro and not that much about the arms, but it is all about muscualr endurance, just one problem though:
Muscular endurance is VERY activity specififc, in other words:
You may be able to do push ups till the cows come home but that won't help the muscle endurance needed for swimming.

Drake
01-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Most people do pushups incorrectly, and then brag about heavily inflated numbers. In other words... 75 improper pushups equates into about 25 correct ones.

mickey
01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
sanjuro ronin,

So...you....are........agreeing with me. The man should swim.

mickey

Sardinkahnikov
01-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Greetings,

Sardinkahnikov,

There is a weightlifting exercise that is done on a decline bench. It uses two dumbbells. The person lies down with his head in the lower position and performs a butterfly swimming motion with the dumbbells. You may need a partner assist with this. That exercise may be more specific to what you are trying to achieve. Just don't go too heavy.

A complementary exercise to the aforementioned would be reverse flyes.

mickey

Edit: I forgot something. Don't underestimate your muscle memory, man. Swim!! Your body will respond.

Thanks for the suggestion! The butterfly was a big pain in the ass for me...
I can't wait to get back to the pool, but I'll probably only manage to find time to do so in April (office jobs suck:mad:), so I was looking into some dry land exercises that could be of some use. I'll definitely try that one out, thanks again.

sanjuro_ronin
01-27-2011, 07:03 AM
sanjuro ronin,

So...you....are........agreeing with me. The man should swim.

mickey

Of course, if there is one thing that common sense tells us and multiple studies have verified is that if you want to get better at any activity, do THAT activity more and do it correctly.

uki
01-27-2011, 07:53 AM
do push ups on twisted arms, back of hands, enlongnated, one armed... my daughter who is six, can do 6 pyramid pushups. :D

mickey
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Sardinkahnikov,

The first exercise on the decline bench is done face up; the complementary one face down.

mickey