PDA

View Full Version : What the heck are Mountain Blocks/Posture good for?

rogue
07-11-2001, 04:33 AM
Any karateka or TKDoians know?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Robinf
07-11-2001, 03:22 PM
I don't know those names. Do those blocks go by any other names?

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Budokan
07-11-2001, 03:55 PM
Mountain blocks can be used with a bo for defense/attack, along with the stomping kicks. It's also just another good way to build coordination and muscle tone.

At least, I'm assuming the mountain blocks you're talking about are the same ones that appear in Jutte kata?

K. Mark Hoover

rogue
07-11-2001, 05:33 PM
That's the one Budokan, but in trad. TKD we have also them in Toi Gye.

Very odd looking move.

Robin, I've seen them referred to as Mountain blocks/posture in karate and TKD manuals.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

maestro
08-06-2001, 11:00 PM
I studied Chung Do Kwon TKD (WTF), and here's what I learned....

The "Mountain Blocks" (if I'm thinking of the same thing you are), are arm lock/break techniques. You would use them to block the incoming punch (with the forward hand) and snap the back hand up on the inside of the arm. Use the twisting motion of the hips for the power to snap or lock the arm.

I'm not saying that's the best way to do an arm lock, but that is what I was taught....

Swimming is not a sport, it's something you do to keep from drowning.
Fighting is not a sport, it's something you do to keep from dying.