PDA

View Full Version : The Passing of a True Master & Gentleman

photo-master
01-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Erle Montaigue passed away on Wednesday 26th January 2011 doing what he loved with whom he loved and if you asked him he would say "you can't do better than that".

If you have a need to express yourself you can make comments on the:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Erle-Montaigue-Master-Degree-China-1949-2011/106725722736137?v=wall

Minghequan
01-27-2011, 07:39 PM
It has been confirmed by reliable sources that my friend, Taiji teacher and advisor Erle Montaigue has sadly passed away. He passed away on Wednesday.

Erle was a wonderful man in every sense of the word. He brought Taiji kicking and screaming into a new light with his emphasis on the life protection aspects of his art. Whilst he was viewed by many as a controversial figure, I have never doubted his ability as a martial artist, teacher and good friend.

Aside from the many times that he made me feel humble about my own martial skills and it was he who introduced me some many years ago (1988) to the concept of Dim-Mak. I remember sitting in his house in Leura having a cup of tea and his completely welcoming attitude towards the student I had bought with me on that day to meet him. I am a member of his World Taiji Boxing Association and will miss his advice and unique up-front attitude greatly.

His death is a sad loss for the whole martial arts community as he was one of the truly greats. I will miss him.

bawang
01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
nope 34535

SPJ
01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Rest in Peace.

condolence to family and friends.

I myself am also fighting diabetes on a daily basis.

:(

Minghequan
01-27-2011, 08:29 PM
SPJ,

I know how you feel. I suffer from myalgic encephalomyelitis (Сhronic fatigue syndrome - CFS) which led to Bi-.Polar Depression (a chemical imbalance within the Brain) which then led to Diabetes II due to the medication I was one for depression. I have been inflicted with this for over the past 15 years and have seen it all. Fortunately for me I am controlling my Diabetes with diet and am no longer on insulin or medication for it.

Erle was and will remain, a great inspiration to me in all that I do.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Erle and I exchanged emails over the years, he was always cordial, intelligent, outspoken but able to see another's POV.
Last time we spoke he said that he was the healthiest sick person around !
LOL, typical Erle.
We spoke a lot about Dim Mak and the practical applications of it and while we didn't always agree of course but we both respected each others views.
Regardless of the controversy that surrounded. as it always surrounds anyone that goes "against the grain", he was a good man, helpful, caring and devoted to his MA.
It saddens me to learn of his death.
RIP Erle.

David Jamieson
01-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Well, he was truly a character in the MA world.

time for rest

lkfmdc
01-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Can't say that I agreed with what he preached but RIP

Dale Dugas
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
He not only walked the walk, but could talk the talk.

RIP

kungfoozer
01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
He not only walked the walk, but could talk the talk.

RIP

Oh shut up

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Oh shut up

Uncalled for, watch yourself.

kungfoozer
01-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Uncalled for, watch yourself.

Please do not threaten me. That is childish. The fact this man died is sad just like if anyone died. I would say that unless you knew him you should not post just to be polite because likely his spirit and his family will not care. It is not like I am making a joke at his funeral. Quit being so serious. It is only the Internet.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Please do not threaten me. That is childish. The fact this man died is sad just like if anyone died. I would say that unless you knew him you should not post just to be polite because likely his spirit and his family will not care. It is not like I am making a joke at his funeral. Quit being so serious. It is only the Internet.

What you posted had ZERO to do with the thread and was an attack on another poster and as a moderator here, I don't threaten, I warn, so consider yourself warned.

TenTigers
01-28-2011, 09:15 AM
What I liked about EM is that he truly believed in what he preached. He upset the applecart at every opportunity. A rebel, a maverick. All good in my book, especially when it comes to TCMA.

kungfoozer
01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
What you posted had ZERO to do with the thread and was an attack on another poster and as a moderator here, I don't threaten, I warn, so consider yourself warned.

Fair enough Sanjuro. Others have told me to shut up in the past and there was no visceral reaction from you. If you are going to the bIg bad moderator than help defend my rights as well and not when you think it is right. People used to tell tneihoff to shut up every day but I guarantee you did not warn all of them. Double standard.

mjw
01-28-2011, 09:23 AM
RIP
Sorry for your loss

TenTigers
01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Fair enough Sanjuro. Others have told me to shut up in the past and there was no visceral reaction from you. If you are going to the bIg bad moderator than help defend my rights as well and not when you think it is right. People used to tell tneihoff to shut up every day but I guarantee you did not warn all of them. Double standard.

I am sure it happened on a thread dedicated to the memory of a fallen brother, that person would have been warned as well. It's not about whether or not you told a member to shut up, it's where you did it. It this particular thread, it is uncalled for and disrespectful to EM.

kungfoozer
01-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I am sure it happened on a thread dedicated to the memory of a fallen brother, that person would have been warned as well. It's not about whether or not you told a member to shut up, it's where you did it. It this particular thread, it is uncalled for and disrespectful to EM.

Fair enough Tentigers.

Did you know EM personally or are you just harping on the sympathy wagon?

So is it agrees then that I can tell people to shut up/attack them as long ad it is not on a thread dedicated to the departed? No wonder the whole weng chun forum is allowed to exist as it does. I have never read such depravity.

David Jamieson
01-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Fair enough Tentigers.

Did you know EM personally or are you just harping on the sympathy wagon?

So is it agrees then that I can tell people to shut up/attack them as long ad it is not on a thread dedicated to the departed? No wonder the whole weng chun forum is allowed to exist as it does. I have never read such depravity.

dude, I was not a fan of Erle in the least and frequently discounted him and his stuff as sub par fabricated nonsense.

However, this is merely a thread recognizing his passing as despite what anyone thought of him or his thing, positive or negative, there is no denying that he was a force in the global martial arts community that was entrenched in it for years.

so it's just a rest in peace thread, not some place for you to have a dump on a coffin.

I honestly don't see what is so difficult to understand about that.

Mr Punch
01-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Didn't agree with a lot of Mr Montague's stuff, but he always seemed like a genuine bloke, and some bits and bobs, like his reptilian brain activation posture stuff and whatnot was interesting theory and worth investigating.

Always a good read, and with me from my earliest memories of MA mags, so it's honestly sad to hear this.

I have never read such depravity.You need to get out more, **** for brains. Sanjuro, can't you ban this twat straight out? :)

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Context, if you don't understand that, there isn't much I can do to explain it.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Didn't agree with a lot of Mr Montague's stuff, but he always seemed like a genuine bloke, and some bits and bobs, like his reptilian brain activation posture stuff and whatnot was interesting theory and worth investigating.

Always a good read, and with me from my earliest memories of MA mags, so it's honestly sad to hear this.

You need to get out more, **** for brains. Sanjuro, can't you ban this twat straight out? :)

No, I can't and I personally don't agree with bannings, that is why I warned him.
No more derailing this thread, OK guys?

Thanks.

Mr Punch
01-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Fair enough, gotcha. Sorry.

TenTigers
01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I agree with Mr. Punch about EM bringing out the concept of the reptilian brain and how paosture activates this. The Jook Lum posture does exactly this, and if it weren't for EM's writings on this, I would have not made the connection.
I also may not agree with everything he said, who does? But he did bring out alot of theory and concepts that were previously ..undiscussed. (trying to avoid the word, "secrets.") For that, many of us are thankfull.

GeneChing
01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
That's the 3rd ban of 2011. It wasn't out of respect to Erle Montaigue. I never knew Mr. Montaigue beyond what I had read of him. I respect anyone who makes an impact upon the martial arts on the level he did. I banned kungfoozer because sanjuro_ronin clearly warned him and he failed to see the inappropriateness of his behavior.

Now back OT - Our condolences to the family, friends and students of Erle Montaigue.

sihing
01-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Wow. Was just watching a recent interview of Erle last week, explaining his history and feelings on the current state of things in MA, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lEznUfn-_Q .

Back in the mid 90's I coresponded with Erle as well. I printed out all of his meridian charts and things like that. I told him about a friend of mine with a bad back, he sent me a chi gung VHS tape for me to give to her to practice, for free, that was cool:)

He will be missed, my condolences to his family.

James

SIFU RON
01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
My condolences to all of Erle Montaigue's family and friends, it is good that we let each other know when a fellow M/A has passed.

My Best to all

Sifu Ron

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree with Mr. Punch about EM bringing out the concept of the reptilian brain and how paosture activates this. The Jook Lum posture does exactly this, and if it weren't for EM's writings on this, I would have not made the connection.
I also may not agree with everything he said, who does? But he did bring out alot of theory and concepts that were previously ..undiscussed. (trying to avoid the word, "secrets.") For that, many of us are thankfull.

Well said, funny that I was just about to mention that.

Dale Dugas
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
EM was very public about himself and his material and how to use it.

For that, I commend the man.

Respect to him, his clan and to all his students.

diego
01-28-2011, 12:18 PM
What is the deal with the reptile brain posture thing?. I remember reading about it years ago but forgot lol.

mickey
01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Greetings,

Erle Montaigue came around during the time when Tai Chi Chuan was considered a deteriorated martial art that was good for exercise and long life. Our images of Tai Chi practitioners were shaped by the images of Marshall Ho'o, Bruce Tegner, etc. Here in the USA, we really didn't see too much Tai Chi beyond Form and Push Hands. Andrew Lum's books on Combat Tai Chi Chuan were more like mutant abberations to be ignored than as true insights to a combat art. The doors of China were closed at the time. Yet, Erle Montaigue pushed the combat effectiveness of Tai Chi and the internal styles long before it became fashionable.

Though I never met Erle Montaigue, I respect his existence. I appreciate the journey he took. And I hope he has graduated on to even more fantastic experiences.

My respect to him and my condolences to his family, friends, and students.

mickey

Hardwork108
01-28-2011, 09:34 PM
RIP Eric Montague.

Hello Ten Tigers,

Not wanting to derail this thread, maybe you can go further into the activation of the reptilian brain through by using the Jook Lum posture, perhaps in another thread?

TenTigers
01-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Erle Montaigue pushed the combat effectiveness of Tai Chi and the internal styles long before it became fashionable.

My respect to him and my condolences to his family, friends, and students.

mickey

true. he was one of the first guys to come out and really attempt to show Tai Chi as a combat art.

David Jamieson
01-29-2011, 05:13 AM
true. he was one of the first guys to come out and really attempt to show Tai Chi as a combat art.

*ahem* I personally would give that honour to Lee Ying Arng myself.
Erle grabbed an audience and marketed himself to it. He was clever in that respect.

mickey
01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
DJ,

Erle Montaigue created an audience and marketed himself to that audience.

People were not busting their behinds to buy a projector so they could see Li Ying Arng's film. That film was not the talk of the time, nor at any time. And I am not saying anything about the film's contents. It just wasn't the thing to get. As I said before, most people's views about Tai Chi Chuan had nothing to do with fighting back then.

Back in the day, a Tai Chi performance during a martial arts demo gave people the opportunity to go take a leak and come back for the good stuff. And it would not surprise me if this still happens. I do this when watching master demo's on dvd at home. It is either the aforementioned or FAST FORWARD.

mickey

YouKnowWho
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Back in the day, a Tai Chi performance during a martial arts demo gave people the opportunity to go take a leak and come back for the good stuff. And it would not surprise me if this still happens.

That was why the Taiji Legacy event in Dallas had stopped any Taiji demo on the stage in the past many years. I still remember that many years ago when any Taiji master demo on the stage, some audience just stood up and went to bathrooms.

YouKnowWho
01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
*ahem* I personally would give that honour to Lee Ying Arng myself.
Erle grabbed an audience and marketed himself to it. He was clever in that respect.
Lee Ying Arng's "joint locking" book (published in 1956) was the 1st CMA book that I had when I was in my grade school. When I was in my 7th grade, I had my 1st English class. The 1st English lesson was "Book, this is a book". I even wrote "book" on the cover of Lee's book. Everyday I held a small rock between 3 of my fingers and tried to smash that rock with my finger tip strength. That was long time ago.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9953/jointlockbook.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8283/jointlockbook1.jpg

Frost
01-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Its sad hes passed on, practised both His tai chi and pushing hands (prefered it to other yang i have done) and whilst i did not agree with his other stuff its sad hes gone

tiaji1983
01-29-2011, 12:43 PM
wow... how did it happen?

tiaji1983
01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Im sorry to hear of this loss. I read a lot about him, and never seen anyone else publicly, besides him and my teacher, show the groin slap after wardoff. His legacy will live on. I wish his family and students much respect and I am sure he will do just as well in his next life. Death is only a new beginning :)

However, I dont mean to sound insensitive, but if someone knows more about the Wudang info that he taught, could you PM me because I kept putting off the opportunity to contact him about it, and never had the chance. But everything happens for a reason. I figured if one of his students could help me out with some questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Drake
01-29-2011, 01:03 PM
RIP fella... :(

donjitsu2
01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
wow... how did it happen?

Heart Attack.

SPJ
01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Heart Attack.

it is the number 1 cause of death.

high cholesterol

high blood pressure

and diabetes

all increased the risks for it several folds

---

:eek:

SPJ
01-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Lee Ying Arng's "joint locking" book (published in 1956) was the 1st CMA book that I had when I was in my grade school. When I was in my 7th grade, I had my 1st English class. The 1st English lesson was "Book, this is a book". I even wrote "book" on the cover of Lee's book. Everyday I held a small rock between 3 of my fingers and tried to smash that rock with my finger tip strength. That was long time ago.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9953/jointlockbook.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8283/jointlockbook1.jpg

priceless.

I had a ba ji instruction book and others from kuo shu guan era in 1935.

my brother scanned them into PDF files.

:cool:

gareththomasnz
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Earl was Mr Dim Mak

R.I.P

He wasn't that old either - how did he die?

David Jamieson
02-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Earl was Mr Dim Mak

R.I.P

He wasn't that old either - how did he die?

possibly dim maked himself apparently...