PDA

View Full Version : How best to train at home

trumanlookalike
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi. I'm seeking comment on how best to train at home, by myself. I can only get to training 2 or 3 times each week yet I'd like to do some additional training at home for say 30min at a time. I generally go over the grading requirements plus some continuous alternating minutes of chain punching and pushups. But I want to get smarter in how I train. I don't have a dummy or heavy bag, but can get them soon. I've been training for about 18months and am 4th level.

k gledhill
01-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Try running.....cardio,,sprints, things you dont do in class

jeetsao
01-31-2011, 05:34 PM
What is your objective, Truman?

KPM
01-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Try running.....cardio,,sprints, things you dont do in class

Exactly. Work on conditioning. I've always thought that classes that spent a lot of time working on conditioning to the detriment of working on technique were a poor use of time. Students can do conditioning on their own. They need as much attention from the instructor and quality training with partners as they can get while they are in class. So work on conditioning as well as basic solo drills and exercises. A dummy is a must for solo Wing Chun training IMHO. If you are not sure what to work on when it comes to the dummy, ask your instructor to show you various drills and exercises for your level. You don't have to be at dummy form level to get a lot of good use out of the dummy.

Phil Redmond
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
You can train forms and your dummy form in the air. Aside from conditioning find a friend that would be willing to let you practice techniques on. Your friend will get benefit from the training as well.

LoneTiger108
02-01-2011, 07:48 AM
IMHO

1. Training for gradings - what gradings exactly?? And surely this is best advised and assessed by an elder within your group or family?

2. Focus on cardio - in your home? I tend to like training this stuff with people in the gym or on the road. I'm lucky to have my own studio but still like the motivation of others who can push me.

3. Focus on stretching - IMO this should be done daily anyway, especially after any workout and you may have even learnt some 'Wing Chun' specific stretches too. If not, ask about them. If you're over 30 and don't stretch you're a fool!

4. Footwork and technique - Translates into 'wooden man' training IMHO! And every student of Wing Chun should invest in a decent jong to train the finer details of technique. Observation by an elder is key. Don't waste your time bashing it about for no reason!

Just some input from someone who has trained for a time on my own :D

T.D.O
02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Sil lim tau.... but no doubt you do that every day any way? and that should take 20 of your 30 mins.

As for Footwork and technique: you can roll up a news paper and trap it in a door, that makes a very inexpensive arm. The leg of a chair or table, can make a leg, though if it's a good table/chair i would'nt kick it LOL if you have a tree out back or an old tyre, traffic cone or some thing.... you'll find some thing! use that to train.

I try to train what we went over in the last class, on what ever i can use, though some times this is hard if there's chin na involved.

Just have a think.... is there some thing you could do with spending more time on?

Then train that over and over, faster and faster.... there's your cardio!

Personally, i try to train all the time rather than have a dedicated time or place.

sanjuro_ronin
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
If you have no one to train with, you need to do what is best done alone:
Strength training
Bag work
Supplementary cardio
Conditioning ( forging- IP and such).
Forms ( if you are into that).

Obviously you can't work on sparring or anything you need a partner for.

trumanlookalike
02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
What is your objective, Truman?

Aside from doing wing chun for fitness (otherwise I'd be sitting on the coach eating junk food), I love the aspect of having such control over my own movement and limbs but also the ability to counter movement by others. Essentially, I want to be as good and as fast as I can be at wing chun technique. My aim is not to become a good fighter (that's just a bonus) but to become good at wing chun, if that makes sense.

trumanlookalike
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM
IMHO

1. Training for gradings - what gradings exactly?? And surely this is best advised and assessed by an elder within your group or family?

2. Focus on cardio - in your home? I tend to like training this stuff with people in the gym or on the road. I'm lucky to have my own studio but still like the motivation of others who can push me.

3. Focus on stretching - IMO this should be done daily anyway, especially after any workout and you may have even learnt some 'Wing Chun' specific stretches too. If not, ask about them. If you're over 30 and don't stretch you're a fool!

4. Footwork and technique - Translates into 'wooden man' training IMHO! And every student of Wing Chun should invest in a decent jong to train the finer details of technique. Observation by an elder is key. Don't waste your time bashing it about for no reason!

Just some input from someone who has trained for a time on my own :D

Thanks Spencer; appreciated.

trumanlookalike
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks to all who have responded; appreciated.