PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok for Taiji to evolve?

YouKnowWho
02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
1 point contact will move an object. 2 points contact (in reverse directions) will rotate an object. If you push on your opponent's

- chest (1 point contact), your opponent will move back (because his legs are free).
- shoulder, at the same time your hook his leg (2 points contact), your opponent will fall down (because his legs are not free).

If you have proper control of your opponent's leg when you push (2 points contact), he will fall down instead of "flying away". If you want Taiji to be an effective grappling art, some leg movements will be needed to add in. The following are a list of those leg movements that can be added.

1. ward off with "扣(Kou) - knee seize" (your hand grab below your opponent's knee).
2. pull back with "彈(Tan) - spring" (your foot kick your opponent's leg from inside out).
3. press forward with "撮(Cuo) - scoop" (you foot sccop up your opponent's foot).
4. push with "合(He) - inner hook" (your leg hook your opponent's leg from inside).
5. diagonal fly with "削(Xiao) - outer hook" (your leg hook your opponent's leg from outside).
6. cloud hands with "踢(Ti) - sweep" (your inner foot edge sweep your opponent's instep).

- Will you say this is "enhancement" or "water down"?
- Will you call this "evolution away from the basics"?
- Do you prefer to call this effort "evolution" or "integration"?
- What will the future generation think about this task?
- Will you call this task A -> C or A + B = C?
- What's your opinion on this?

SPJ
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
yes, you may take tai ji or any other style any way or any where you want.

I focus on small moves of tai ji.

so some wu style, some old yang style-- I mixed them up

I focus on smaller movements.

the moves all exist in a larger frame that most people see every day.

single whip, peng lu ji an, cloud hand etc

we focus on smaller moves of the same

it has the some mechanic but on a smaller scale

I focus on close body combat---

---

SPJ
02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
the main ideas that I subscribed to in Tai Ji

1. use a small force to tackle a large force or yi xiao zhi da 以小制大

2. use things in slowness to overcome things in rapidness or yi man zhi kuai 以慢制快

so I focus on practicing small, refined and efficient moves

there.

:)

bawang
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
taijiquan is a very hypocritical martial art and a lot of its noble truths are lies. if you want to make even half of taijiquan work you have to go against sacred opinions of every single famous teacher alive right now.

if u ignore the fake bs written by wu family and look at earlier chen family books its all punching and no mention of all that peng lu ji an nonsense.

Violent Designs
02-02-2011, 03:32 AM
maybe do Xing Yi instead. :{

ginosifu
02-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Quick story....
Master and student practice Straight Sword for a year. Student says "My sword form does not look like yours" Master says " go off and practice for 3 years then come back me" Student comes back after 3 years and says " Master my sword form is starting to really not look like yours" The master says "Please go train for 3 more years and come back to me" The student comes back after 3 more years and says " Master my sword form is looking very different from yours, what am I doing wrong?" The Master says "Ok this is it... 3 more years practicing by yourself and I think you will have it" The student comes back after 3 last years (10 years of Sword Training) and says " Master my sword form looks completly different than yours" The master says "Your training is complete! the sword form is now yours".

I do Yang style Taiji I also do Sun style and Chang style.... however I have a medafor that I use to explain evolving. Taiji is not just a style but the end result of your training in any style. As your training evolves the syles becomes you. When you reach a certain point your are no longer practicing "a Style", you are doing your personal interpretation of the movements and theory.

Getting back to Taiji, I visited my Yang style Taiji teacher after 10 years away from him. He said let me see your form. After completing it he said that I was no longer doing the form the orinigal way he taught me. He said it looked like a combination of Sun / Chang / Yang and this can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Bad cause your not doing it exactly like the master. Good cause you are developing your own personality, the form is now becoing you.

apply this to applications / forms / fighting / etc etc

ginosifu

SPJ
02-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I like it is more of a theme choice.

if you focus on throw, then you have trapping legs, shoulder and forearm kao shuai etc

if you focus on strike, ---

if you focus on qin na

peng lu ji an are not the only solutions but they are 4 genenral ways of neutralization or hua jin 化 劲

so you have

hua da 化 打

hua shuai 化 摔

hua na 化 拿

-----