PDA

View Full Version : What is Inch Power

Yoshiyahu
02-02-2011, 02:33 AM
What is Inch Power and How Does one Develop it in WC to where you can manifest it outside of doing just forms and meaningless demostrations.

How does one bridge the training of inch power to actual application and usagae against an resisting opponent....

Also Share methods on how one trains and develops inch power?

n.mitch
02-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Inch power can be used to go from a defense fence to a unexpected attack using the closest hand{idle hand) to strike your opponent .full offencive attack with suprising force

T.D.O
02-02-2011, 07:49 AM
You should have 6 inch power in your punch/strike, inch implies that it's not going through the intended target. as you see with most youtube chain punching clips.

The wc punch, i like to think of as being that last 6 inch. the rest of the movement is just to get it to it's intended target. once you stop associating distance with power you start having power from shorter and shoter ranges.

In a word... practice!

A good way to practice it is punch, bend your elbow and punch again (same hand) soon you'll be hitting form the second position to start with, then shorten it again if you think you need to.

As for use... you'll find that out at the time it's needed ")

It'll come to you, give it time.

chusauli
02-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Why is the point of this thread inch power? How do you measure inch power?

How about no inch?

Why only 6 inches for TDO?

Why not 1 foot? 2 feet? 6 feet? 9 feet?

This is the way I think... maybe we learned wrong... maybe there was miscommunication, maybe we took something too literally, maybe mistranslation.

TenTigers
02-02-2011, 10:34 AM
just relax....

:)

sanjuro_ronin
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
'Inch power" is maximum force (or work) over the smallest possible distance.
All MA have them in various manifestations.
How one develops them is dependent not only on the system ( delivery platform) but also on the method.
Whether we call it inch power or short power or fa jing or whatever, the goal is to do the work ( whatever it may be: strike, push, pull, etc) over the shortest distance.

YouKnowWho
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
'Inch power" is maximum force (or work) over the smallest possible distance.
That's a good definition.

IMO, the easiest way to train this is to start from a very soft and relax body movement such as a "cross punch" with weak intend, when your limb almost reach to your target, you suddently accelerate, tense your body, with strong "intend", and give everything you have.

The advantage of this kind of force is you don't have to commit yourself until at the last moment. Your body will be less telegraph and your balance will be less affected.

k gledhill
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Inch force implies no retraction of the hand and delivery
Of substantial force. Chi sao develops this force exchange
At close quarters without retraction .....
As we improve we can generate force from the shortest
Distances....creating sudden shocking energy.
How one uses this force is part of the training.
Chi sao develops us to pak without pulling our hand away first
I nthe same vein.
Non telegraphic actions

jeetsao
02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
just relax....

:)

Yes! Agree

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2011, 06:47 AM
That's a good definition.

IMO, the easiest way to train this is to start from a very soft and relax body movement such as a "cross punch" with weak intend, when your limb almost reach to your target, you suddently accelerate, tense your body, with strong "intend", and give everything you have.

The advantage of this kind of force is you don't have to commit yourself until at the last moment. Your body will be less telegraph and your balance will be less affected.

Yep, good drill.
I have seen great "inch power" in almost every MA I have trained in.

chusauli
02-03-2011, 10:50 AM
My point is people are fooled by the starting 1 inch. The movement of the body is more than 1 inch, and the focus behind is greater than 6 inches.

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Robert makes an excellent point, regardless of how far ( or how short) a limb travels or a movement is done, it is a WHOLE body move.
Not to mention the follow-through.

chusauli
02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Its like an orgasmic spasm, gentlemen. (If you remember what that is.) And certainly more penetrating than an inch or 6 inches. :)

T.D.O
02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Why is the point of this thread inch power? How do you measure inch power?

How about no inch?

Why only 6 inches for TDO?

Why not 1 foot? 2 feet? 6 feet? 9 feet?

This is the way I think... maybe we learned wrong... maybe there was miscommunication, maybe we took something too literally, maybe mistranslation.

TBH i don't measure how far i go..... my point is you have to go through the target to get maximum effect..... some times only halfway through, depending on the target and the effect your after.

You see people hitting a heavy bag with there laughable chain punch's, not one of them going through there target. i think this is due to this whole inch power ****.

But you can punch however you like my friend ")

T.D.O
02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Robert makes an excellent point, regardless of how far ( or how short) a limb travels or a movement is done, it is a WHOLE body move.
Not to mention the follow-through.

I would consider that the basic punch which his teacher should show him, sounds contradictory that i'm saying go through the target as his teacher should show him that, but how many youtube clips have you seen of people understanding or evan acknowledging this?

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I think that one of the worse ways to train "short power" is to do it in combos and the reason is that it tends to deteriorate into "slappy hands" with very little penetrative power.
A good way is to use the lead hand since people tend to catch on quicker with that one and extend it forward till it is touching a target ( a pad or mitt is best at this stage) with its finger tips and then relax and drive through the target as you close your fist. Allow the impact to "recoil" your hand back.
You should be about 75% extended at this learning stage so that means that you are really driving just the last few inched of the extension of your arm and the real penetration comes from the whole body movement going forward into the target.
All this is not the easy to explain in words but if you see it you can catch on pretty quick with practice.
Doing it off the rear hand is a tad harder to pick up but sometimes doing it as a 1-2 combo helps a bit.
Once you have it down on the pads move to the HB.
Of course translating this into sparring is a tad more difficult since your partner is not just standing there and he is/should be hitting you back but the crucial element is getting the whole body into because once you have that down then ANY strike whether short distance or not, will always have the nice "english" on it at the end.

k gledhill
02-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Inch punches also serve to prove correct distance for
Force,iow I can have a student strike me in drills and
ask them to inch punch me, simply to see if they have
enough force to move me back 6ft. Using struccture, hips
force etc..into the ground and back. Elbows have to be in....

Scott R. Brown
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Start from your rear foot, then the energy moves up to the hips and shoulders in a wave like manner. The arm and fist merely transfer the energy to the target. Extend through the impact area.

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Start from your rear foot, then the energy moves up to the hips and shoulders in a wave like manner. The arm and fist merely transfer the energy to the target. Extend through the impact area.

You forget to mention the 6 direction force, the snake body, the anaconda buttocks and the lama's schlong.
Just saying.

chusauli
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
...and the orgasmic roaring shudder.

LoneTiger108
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Inch power. Referred to in my training as Choon Ging and something that was more related to the 'palm' than the fist (in the beginning!)

I loved all this stuff when I was a kid, meeting Jim Demile in London changed my view of Bruce Lees famous "1" inch punch 'trick' too because I could see he drew his hand back! Probably to about 6 inches! ;)

Orgasmic spasms aside for a moment:

Now, when I met my Sifu and showed him what I could do he smiled and I didn't know why. Later in my training, when he introduced this 'speciality' of Wing Chun, I knew why. Then his methods to train it just blew me away...

(actually reading that back in context with Roberts reply just don't sound right!)

T.D.O
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
It's as easy as that Mr tiger?

LoneTiger108
02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
It's as easy as that Mr tiger?

Not at all :D

Training choone ging should be quite natural but I've seen many who just can not grasp it. There are very good methods in Wing Chun pole and wooden man training that benefit this short power. Very reliant on decent wrist torque too imho, which is another reason we train huensau, like, forever!

But when I was younger, it was all Yellow Pages and hanging paper striking!

chusauli
02-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Inch power. Referred to in my training as Choon Ging and something that was more related to the 'palm' than the fist (in the beginning!)

I loved all this stuff when I was a kid, meeting Jim Demile in London changed my view of Bruce Lees famous "1" inch punch 'trick' too because I could see he drew his hand back! Probably to about 6 inches! ;)

Orgasmic spasms aside for a moment:

Now, when I met my Sifu and showed him what I could do he smiled and I didn't know why. Later in my training, when he introduced this 'speciality' of Wing Chun, I knew why. Then his methods to train it just blew me away...

(actually reading that back in context with Roberts reply just don't sound right!)

Spencer, that really sounds perverted! What? Smiled? Special training? Back room? Blew him away? Orgasmic spasms? Spencer and his Sifu? WTF? LOL!

Now, is BL doing WCK with his inch punch demo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6aMdskKSo

Scott R. Brown
02-03-2011, 06:55 PM
You forget to mention the 6 direction force, the snake body, the anaconda buttocks and the lama's schlong.
Just saying.

Well I like to leave fantasy to the dreamers.

YungChun
02-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Elements of, but not really IMO.

Scott R. Brown
02-03-2011, 07:39 PM
It is easy knocking anyone backwards when they stand square to you.

YungChun
02-03-2011, 07:51 PM
The point is that he's using connected/aligned body mass (fa jing?) to move the guy... Not sure they precisely fit in with VT mechanics... I've seen him do it better, when Jhoon Rhee was in the shot...

martyg
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
In that video, he's using more leverage than what I would term as "wing chun body connection". Leverage is of course a "body connection" as well, but that's the point - we can be using the same terminology but it can mean different things to everyone.
He's connecting his body and using it in a manner for leverage (hence his mass rotating over his front foot) rather than what I would call generation of intent and release, which does not cause your body to look that way.

It's the difference between posing something and shoving through. vs. creating a cause and effect in the other person.

k gledhill
02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
inch force is useful for making another hit from a hit that gets tied up by the opponent grabbing your hand to 'try' and prevent force regeneration/retraction....not :D
I used it a lot if guys couldnt stop getting palmed in chi-sao so they would try to hold the tan/palm to their chest :D:D:D not a good idea :o
A lot of guys i have taught cant understand the legs energy as the 'supply point' so they tend to compensate with retraction of the hand before striking, or pushing with upper body. You cant feel your own leg force as you do the inch force so it takes reciprocal force exchange coaching and feedback by being the guy who receives the force too, not just talking chi/qi BS .

YouKnowWho
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
The "inch force" in TCMA is also called "抖(Dou) - shaking". It can be employed as part of any offense or defense, emphasizing the explosive and instantaneous generation of force. It's very useful in the clinching situation. You can use it for offense and shake your opponent's body to force him to make certain commitment so you can take advantage on it. You can also use it in defense to stop your oppponent force when he tries to generate it. For example, in clinching when you can sense (by using your Tinjing) your opponent who tries to punch you with his right arm, you can just use your "inch force" to hit on his right shoulder.

Yoshiyahu
02-03-2011, 11:35 PM
The inch force in TCMA is also called "抖(Dou) - shaking". It can be employed as part of any offense or defense, emphasizing the explosive and instantaneous generation of force. It's very useful in the clinching situation. You can use it for offense and shake your opponent's body to force him to make certain commitment so you can take advantage on it. You can also use it in defense to stop your oppponent force when he tries to generate it. For example, in clinching when you can sense (by using your Tinjing) your opponent who tries to punch you with his right arm, you can just use your "抖(Dou) - shaking" to hit on his right shoulder.

The Shaking Force is Jing or Geng...Not inch power!

YouKnowWho
02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
The Shaking Force is Jing or Geng...Not inch power!

寸勁(Cun Jing) = inch force

Jing = force = power.

Jing has "long Jing" and "short Jing". The inch power is the "short Jing". The short Jing, vibration Jing, or shanking Jing are the samething but sometime people may call it differently. The Jing doesn't have to go forward, it can go backward, upward, or downward as well.

Yoshiyahu
02-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Jing = force = power.

Jing has "long Jing" and "short Jing". The inch power is the "short Jing". The short Jing, vibration Jing, or shanking Jing are the samething but sometime people may call it differently. The Jing doesn't have to go forward. It can go backward as well.

There are Eight different Jings in WC. Shaking or Vibrating palm or shaking body is not the Geng for inch power!

kfman5F
02-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Mass x Acceleration = Force applied with sequential muscle contraction in the shortest distance.

LoneTiger108
02-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Spencer, that really sounds perverted! What? Smiled? Special training? Back room? Blew him away? Orgasmic spasms? Spencer and his Sifu? WTF? LOL!

Its only YOUR pervy comments that made me sound like that dude :eek: And your pervy mind that almost derailed a good little thread imo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6aMdskKSo

In a word, yes.

He preferred the use of 'side body' juksan alignment whereas Jim Demile always hit square-on jinsan alignment. I think the questio is, if inch power is so 'out there' already and all Martial Arts use it, why had nobody demonstrated anything before Bruce in the 1960's?

My point is, nobody DID know it back then and if they did they never showed it publically. So if all Martial Arts has this, it may well be because of Bruce. And Bruce had this because of Wing Chun imho as inch power is considered a speciality of our style more so than any other Chinese style/system from North or South!

sanjuro_ronin
02-04-2011, 06:46 AM
I recall the first time I saw "short power" ( I am not a fan of the term inch power) in an actual sparring match and not a demo.Well, I should say that I saw the results of it not IT per say.
Afterwards the SPM sifu told me, quite simply that "if you can see it, it's not there" and while I learned that yes, you CAN see it, his point was that it is NOT something that is apparent in sparring/fighting.
In demos you typiclaly see the "pushing short power" and not the explosive or striking short power and that is what BL was demoing.
Explosive short power does NOT push, the person/target, basically just "collapses".
Think a short hook that drops a person in their tracks and they crumple to the floor.
Think a short strike to the liver or SP that does makes the person drop where they stand.

LoneTiger108
02-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Think a short strike to the liver or SP that does makes the person drop where they stand.

Agreed. Also noted that the guy you saw was a SPM practitioner/Sifu (?) so they must have this too? Could Bruce have picked up the idea from there instead of Wing Chun? I know he learnt some mook jong, and that is where I learnt about choon ging.

I've demoed and used this too and it is exactly right what you say. For demo you make it so the person flies across the room but for real they just drop where they stand (if you hit in a good sweet spot!) :)

CFT
02-04-2011, 07:42 AM
All short bridge systems should have short power otherwise what good would it be? To "play" in the short range but not be able to hit. So WCK, Bak Mei, Lung Ying (Dragon Style), SPM, etc. should have it.

martyg
02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Mass x Acceleration = Force applied with sequential muscle contraction in the shortest distance.

If only the complexities of dynamics and interaction in physics could actually be summed up by a grade school level formula. ;)

I always love when someone tries to trot that one out.

KPM
02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey Spencer!

I think the questio is, if inch power is so 'out there' already and all Martial Arts use it, why had nobody demonstrated anything before Bruce in the 1960's?

---Gung Fu in general was not as well known as Karate in the 1960's. The Gung Fu that was demonstrated publically was lion dancing and flashy forms. So its no wonder that no one had publically displayed "inch power" prior to Bruce.

So if all Martial Arts has this, it may well be because of Bruce.

---No, I don't think so. Bruce may have been very influential, but I think "inch power" had been part of most southern Gung Fu styles for a long time before him!

And Bruce had this because of Wing Chun imho as inch power is considered a speciality of our style more so than any other Chinese style/system from North or South!

---Now that's where Bruce's influence is most likely seen! Wing Chun became known for its "inch power" due to Bruce Lee. But that doesn't mean that Wing Chun is better at it than other styles. If Bruce's background had been in SPM, then its likely SPM would have gotten all of the acclaim rather than WCK. And from what I've seen, styles like SPM and Bak Mei put more emphasis on "inch power" than WCK does.

kfman5F
02-04-2011, 08:07 PM
If only the complexities of dynamics and interaction in physics could actually be summed up by a grade school level formula. ;)

I always love when someone tries to trot that one out.

If you are so knowledgeable, then why don't you "trot" that one out. I suppose you are an expert. I did not intend to go into a dissertation with that "simplistic" statement. And I seriously doubt that most grade school kids would understand that. Rather than being negative, why don't you contribute or comment in a positive way.

martyg
02-04-2011, 09:22 PM
If you are so knowledgeable, then why don't you "trot" that one out. I suppose you are an expert.

I suppose you're being just a tad melodramatic.

I did not intend to go into a dissertation with that "simplistic" statement.

A dissertation wasn't required. This isn't mine (or a lot of other people's) first rodeo here, the F=M*A thing has been thrown out many times over the last 20+ years of online Wing Chun discussion. Usually with the implication that speed is somehow very important to the generation of short power. And every time, people with a background in physics (and yes, in answer to your question I was trained in Calculus based physics) discuss how it doesn't come close to actually modeling what goes on with two interacting structures. Hence if someone throws it in to the ring again, I'm going to comment on it in those regards. You can read in to that whatever you like, as it appears you already are.

And I seriously doubt that most grade school kids would understand that.

Grade school here = K-12. And is defined as the notion of dividing up education in to "grades". I first learned F=M*A in basic 10th grade physics back in the 80's and school programs have certainly evolved since then. Unless you mistook me to be discussing elementary school or middle school grades.

Rather than being negative, why don't you contribute or comment in a positive way.

I don't recall doing anything except saying (in a friendly joking manner) that the actual complexities of dynamics and interaction in physics are not modeled in that equation. Nor are they intended to be. Even in that basic equation what you're talking about is Net Force, i.e. the summation of forces.

And in this case we're talking about the summation of forces between two or more objects. This includes needing to take in to account mechanisms of generation, transference, and reception. This further includes taking in to account equations for the motion of rigid and non-rigid bodies ("bodies" being objects here, as in the individual parts that make up the entire mechanisms in each). There's also interference via force vectors being directed back in to the generating mechanism, etc. And of course there's gravity and more.

I.E. if you apply it to the act of a cannon firing a cannon ball, it fails to take in to account very important things and just focuses on the cannon ball - as if nothing else exists. Things like what's the base of the cannon made out of, is it anchored, how long is the tube, what's the cannonball made out of, what's it's diameter, what's it's spin ratio, how does the atmosphere it travels through effect it, what's the angle of the surface it's hitting, what's the material strength, is it in motion as well, etc. etc.

So even without all that laid out for you, in a less space and time consuming manner, the F is talking about the release in to an end object which in turn causes that mass to accelerate. Mass or inertia is serving as a proportionality constant between the net forces. Acceleration is the effect of what's happening - i.e. even in your own half of the mechanism, you have a net force being exerted on the individual parts (usually by way of your musculature system) getting them to move one after another until in unison your fist is traversing space (along with all the other parts). This Net force is the cause of objects accelerating, both the previously mentioned mechanism and the other half - your opponent's mechanism. With the end result being some displacement of the receiving object. And in those terms then, the F or Net Force is a vector sum of all the forces acting on the mechanism from outside.

This is all very important to understand and take in to account, because the bottom line is that it accounts for the fact that not everyone here (or even every art for that matter) performs "short power" the same way. There's lots of differences in the generation mechanism, and rightly so. In the case of an already in contact "short power", acceleration may have a far less magnitude (i.e. play less of a part) in what I do than someone else who may rely on more rigidity in their mechanism and quick sudden acceleration.

Hope that explains my position a bit better. I've just seen to many conversations devolve once F=M*A is brought out, because the "speed heads" usually gravitate towards it to try and dominate the discussion.

YungChun
02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey Spencer!

I think the questio is, if inch power is so 'out there' already and all Martial Arts use it, why had nobody demonstrated anything before Bruce in the 1960's?

---Gung Fu in general was not as well known as Karate in the 1960's. The Gung Fu that was demonstrated publically was lion dancing and flashy forms. So its no wonder that no one had publically displayed "inch power" prior to Bruce.

So if all Martial Arts has this, it may well be because of Bruce.

---No, I don't think so. Bruce may have been very influential, but I think "inch power" had been part of most southern Gung Fu styles for a long time before him!

And Bruce had this because of Wing Chun imho as inch power is considered a speciality of our style more so than any other Chinese style/system from North or South!

---Now that's where Bruce's influence is most likely seen! Wing Chun became known for its "inch power" due to Bruce Lee. But that doesn't mean that Wing Chun is better at it than other styles. If Bruce's background had been in SPM, then its likely SPM would have gotten all of the acclaim rather than WCK. And from what I've seen, styles like SPM and Bak Mei put more emphasis on "inch power" than WCK does.

Nothing new about short power then or now..with possible exception being in certain circles, of eg TMA.. Close range inside fighters have always had to use short power... The way Bruce shows it is a tad odd IMO...but that was a demo...

Can anyone explain the difference in what has been termed "fa jing" and "fou jing" or any other kind of jing?

YungChun
02-04-2011, 10:11 PM
In demos you typically see the "pushing short power" and not the explosive or striking short power and that is what BL was demoing.
Explosive short power does NOT push, the person/target, basically just "collapses".
Think a short hook that drops a person in their tracks and they crumple to the floor.

Which is what I don't see in Bruce's demo, he is pushing and that's why the guy goes flying...

hulkout
02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Inch power shouldn't be thought of as a technique. It happens every time you punch. When you make contact with your opponent, your arm is still bent. Then when you drive through him, THAT'S inch power. When you develop this ability, then even when your fist is a very short distance, you should still be able to generate a lot of power. That's why I don't think of it as a technique. Rather I think it's part of everything you do in Wing Chun. Every time your fist moves, the inch power is starting automatically.

YouKnowWho
02-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Inch power shouldn't be thought of as a technique.
Agree!

I believe the title of this thread is "Inch Power" and not "Inch Punch". The "Inch Punch" is a punch that uses the "Inch Power". But there are many different ways to apply "Inch Power". A quick downward strike or downward pulling is also "Inch Power".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJP5h7GSw4M&feature=related

Lee Chiang Po
02-05-2011, 03:24 PM
It is nothing more than a parler trick. All martial arts have plenty of these parler tricks. It is designed to capture the imagination of new student prospects, and is of absolutely no benefit to a fighter. Now, granted, one can do it better if he has a good solid foundation and a bit of technique, but it is not something that you will ever do in a self defense situation.

KPM
02-05-2011, 04:56 PM
It is nothing more than a parler trick. but it is not something that you will ever do in a self defense situation.

Hi Lee!

I assume you are talking about the "1 inch punch" that Bruce demo'd, and not the actual "inch power"? Because I think "short power" or "inch power" has plenty of applications in a self-defense situation!

Vajramusti
02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
It is nothing more than a parler trick. All martial arts have plenty of these parler tricks. It is designed to capture the imagination of new student prospects, and is of absolutely no benefit to a fighter. Now, granted, one can do it better if he has a good solid foundation and a bit of technique, but it is not something that you will ever do in a self defense situation.
-----------------------------------------------------
One should didtinguish between a demo and real inch(or less) power. The latter comes with good wing chun practice over time. The former can have an element of a push- because people like to see a person being moved.

joy chaudhuri

sanjuro_ronin
02-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Which is what I don't see in Bruce's demo, he is pushing and that's why the guy goes flying...

That was my point, he was doing the typical "pushing" demo.
I should have made it more clear, sorry.

LoneTiger108
02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
That was my point, he was doing the typical "pushing" demo.
I should have made it more clear, sorry.

With all respect, Brucie doesn't push in his famous demo! I have seen others that do, but this demo is a strike.

The reaction looks that way simply because of the shield that the receiver has in place (power spreading over the surface area of the pad forcing him backwards) If the guys pad wasn't there, and Bruce done the same move below the sternum he would just drop onto the floor!

Even if you repeat this directly onto the sternum the person will fall backwards instead, not downwards into a crumpled mess, but there is a risk of breaking the sternum too. Not funny.

T.D.O
02-08-2011, 04:57 AM
it was all Yellow Pages and hanging paper striking!

Any chance of going into detail on the paper striking?

Sounds to me like some thing worth trying.... is it ?:confused:

Cheers ;)

IRONMONK
02-08-2011, 06:57 AM
I purchased a copy of Demille's book on the inch punch a decade ago. I think he talks about falling/dropping your body and lifting the back heel up as you strike.

sanjuro_ronin
02-08-2011, 07:01 AM
With all respect, Brucie doesn't push in his famous demo! I have seen others that do, but this demo is a strike.

The reaction looks that way simply because of the shield that the receiver has in place (power spreading over the surface area of the pad forcing him backwards) If the guys pad wasn't there, and Bruce done the same move below the sternum he would just drop onto the floor!

Even if you repeat this directly onto the sternum the person will fall backwards instead, not downwards into a crumpled mess, but there is a risk of breaking the sternum too. Not funny.

Dude, he was "pushing", that is why the guy went "flying", it's a "trick" that I myself have done a few times, like the "unbendable" arm of Aikido.
The principles are there of course, but it is done in a manner that is impractical and just for show.
If the guy had been in a stance or if BL had done it lower rather then above his center of gravity, he would have moves as much if at all.

There is very little risk of breaking the sternum with an inch punch like that, it takes a considerable amount of force to break a sternum, the sternum is designed to distribute force not take it "head on".
Could BL have done it for real?
Of course, I have and I have used a THICK yellow pages book and had the guy brace himself and even showed him how it was gonna be and he went DOWN ( not back) and while he was winded, he was "just fine".
It just doesn't look as cool as when they go flying six feet, LOL !

Vajramusti
02-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Demille does not do wing chun.

Inch power is not a gimmick-it's an aim for several martial arts- and even sport and involves

coordinating the whole body at a delivery point.

joy chaudhuri

LoneTiger108
02-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Dude, he was "pushing", that is why the guy went "flying", it's a "trick" that I myself have done a few times, like the "unbendable" arm of Aikido.

Maybe we have different views on what a 'push' is! :eek: A push for me is something that has sustained contact to align your leverage before finally releasing your joint force (the time you contact to when they leave is looong)

Bruce 'hits' the guy. The sound tells the truth.

Of course, I have and I have used a THICK yellow pages book and had the guy brace himself and even showed him how it was gonna be and he went DOWN ( not back) and while he was winded, he was "just fine".
It just doesn't look as cool as when they go flying six feet, LOL !

Yes, I too have experience of this. Receiving and giving. But I find that winding comes from you hitting below the sternum (solar plexus) and upwards, but if you 'hit' just above the heart and send your intent (Man! Hendrik would love this!) 'beyond' or through the spine parallel to the floor they will fly backwards!

THAT my friend is the trick. Some sort of force vector thingy that I played with many many moons ago! :D Mind you, all this chat makes me wanna go retrain this stuff again!!

LoneTiger108
02-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Any chance of going into detail on the paper striking?

Sounds to me like some thing worth trying.... is it ?:confused:

Cheers ;)

Okay.

Hang paper with a piece of string (making sure that its secured so it don't just rip off the string!)

Put the paper 1 inch from the wall.

Hit paper with a punch, from whatever distance you want, without hitting the wall!

Try to train that infamous 'flick' of the wrist and tense/contract the muscles for only an instant at the end of the extension. If you need to gain confidence hang the paper further from the wall. Build up speed until you can 'pop' a hole in the paper! ;)

Man, I wrote a little booklet on this when I was about 17 and wish I had it now. Gave it to an old friend as he was meeting Demile!!

FWIW James Demile is more of a Wing Chun student than any of Bruce Lees other students by far! (except maybe Jesse) He still teaches SLT... just saying Joy.

sanjuro_ronin
02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Maybe we have different views on what a 'push' is! A push for me is something that has sustained contact to align your leverage before finally releasing your joint force (the time you contact to when they leave is looong)

Bruce 'hits' the guy. The sound tells the truth.

You need to get "pushed" around more ;)

Yes, I too have experience of this. Receiving and giving. But I find that winding comes from you hitting below the sternum (solar plexus) and upwards, but if you 'hit' just above the heart and send your intent (Man! Hendrik would love this!) 'beyond' or through the spine parallel to the floor they will fly backwards!
Well, I don't do it that way ( below and up) so...

THAT my friend is the trick. Some sort of force vector thingy that I played with many many moons ago! Mind you, all this chat makes me wanna go retrain this stuff again!!

How dare you say "force vector" !!
You bring up six directional force and ninjas shall replace all your toilet paper with rough grit sanding paper.

LoneTiger108
02-08-2011, 09:23 AM
You need to get "pushed" around more ;)

I think I get ya. Short, sharp, inyerface pushing is 'like' what Bruce done! ;)

How dare you say "force vector" !!
You bring up six directional force and ninjas shall replace all your toilet paper with rough grit sanding paper.

I did wonder what would happen! :D:eek: Ninjas bl00dy everywhere here :mad:

T.D.O
02-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Cheers Mr Tiger :D

I'll give it a bash ;)

T.D.O
02-09-2011, 08:29 AM
A lot harder than i thought.... Sweatin my balls off here LOL

Is the wall just so the paper does'nt swing about?

LoneTiger108
02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
A lot harder than i thought.... Sweatin my balls off here LOL

Is the wall just so the paper does'nt swing about?

:D:D:D No dude. It's so you're fist doesn't travel more than an inch past the target and risk being branded a "push" lol!

I don't want to brag or anything, but I used to do this stuff with my legwork too :eek: No wonder I'm pretty scr3w3d up?! Settled for a floor-to-ceiling speedball after a while...

T.D.O
02-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Could you rip the paper??? I keep giving a few taps on the way by..... Cant do it :(

I'll get there! :cool:

What kind of paper btw?

LoneTiger108
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
What kind of paper btw?

Ah! :D Exactly!

What paper existed in China circa 1600's?

Personally I liked to use simple A4 sheets, but the lightweight stuff like newspaper just 'sounded' better. Listen for that cracking sound...

T.D.O
02-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Ah! I'm using a bit of printer paper....

I'll try newspaper......

;)

T.D.O
02-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Got it! :D:D:D:D:D:D