PDA

View Full Version : All's Well, Ends Well

GeneChing
02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I've been avoiding posting anything on this, but now I just have to do so. Donnie is in it as a Kung Fu beautician.

Trailer: ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 《最強囍事》 2011 OPENS 3 FEB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbHgCq7CFM&feature=related)

It's actually playing near me. Note how they credited Donnie below.

Lunar New Year films: (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/03/NSLI1H50EV.DTL) The annual double feature of loopy movies - released at the same time as they are in Hong Kong - makes a welcome return. Chan Hing-ka's "All's Well That Ends Well 2011" is about romantic mayhem in a cosmetics company and stars Donnie Yen - currently the biggest box-office star in Asia - Cecilia Cheung, Louis Koo, Carina Lau, Chapman To and Yan Ni. "I Love Hong Kong" is Chung Shu Kai's valentine to the city, centering around a family celebration, a dishonest property tycoon and a host of quirky neighbors. Starring Eric Tsang, Sandra Ng and Tony Leung Ka Fai. Yes, these are silly films. But New Year's films are the closest to the joy of the golden age of Hong Kong films, the 1980s and early '90s. Starts Friday at the 4 Star, 2200 Clement St., S.F. (415) 666-3488. www.lntsf.com.

Lucas
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Entirely non related other than in name, but, I know a proctologist group whos company name is Alls well that ends well.

:D

GeneChing
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Get it? Play on Shakespeare? Oh never mind. Gnomeo & Juliet opens this weekend. I hope there will be fight scenes. :p

Mon, Feb 07, 2011
The New Paper
They play against type in CNY movie (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20110207-262276.html)

YOU might already have watched All's Well Ends Well 2011 - one of the several Chinese New Year movies to come out from Hong Kong during this festive period.

Hong Kong stars Louis Koo and Cecilia Cheung act in the movie. Odd enough that you get "Mr Cool" Koo and the wacky "big sister" Cheung playing a couple on screen; odder still that Koo takes on an effeminate role in this movie.

Koo plays a "beautiful man", an aesthetician. His character is the host of a popular talk show that touches on beauty-related topics. But his effeminate image is just put on for the women in the hope of appealing to them.

Koo's character is actually a man's man, and is in fact, quite the playboy. In the movie, to exaggerate his "sissiness", Koo's character speaks with his hands on his waist and his chest thrust out.

Granted, it's all done for a laugh in a holiday comedy, but still, Koo admitted in an interview with U-Weekly that it was hard to shake off his character even after he was done with the shooting. Some days, he said, after he got home after work, he would still use his effeminate, high-pitched voice when talking on the phone.

And that made this role his most challenging to date. It was so hard to keep a straight face.

He said: "Each time I did a scene, everyone on the film set couldn't stop laughing."

But while everyone else was busy busting a gut during the shoots, Koo's co-star Donnie Yen was busy - not busting out his signature gongfu moves. And that was even more impressive, said Koo, who added that everyone knows Yen - think IpMan(2008) and Flash Point (2007) - for his impressive fight scenes.

In the movie, however, Yen keeps his feet on the ground and his wit in the air.

Said Koo: "I've always thought Yen was a special and unique actor.

"And that he had different sides to him.

"In the film, he tried his best to be a funny man and I think that everyone who watches this movie will be in for a big surprise as to what Donnie can do in a comedy."

For years, Koo has either played the good guy - Connected (2008) - or the all-out baddie - Election (2005). So did he have any objections to playing an effeminate role?

Going nuts next?

Said Koo: "Being an actor, one must always try out different things.

"That's why when I was offered this role, I didn't really have any worries about it.

"What's more, veteran actors like Leslie Cheung and Leon Lai have also played similar roles."

So with all the different roles that he has played over the years, what is that one role that he hasn't played that he's dying to try?

"A mental patient!" said Koo.

GeneChing
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Has anyone seen any of them? I imagine the Stephen Chow ones are funny.

All’s Well, Ends Well 2011 (http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=57252)
by Chan Soo Wah

THIS latest instalment of the All’s Well, Ends Well long-running franchise tells the story of make-up artist Sammy (Koo), who is the host of a hugely-popular beauty show. On screen, he’s the gentle, sensitive, new age guy whom women love, but away from the cameras, he’s just another callous and sloppy man.

A friend hires Sammy as the new CEO of her cosmetics company. But he begins to regret taking up the offer as soon as he steps into the conference room on his first day.

Turns out, his new female subordinates are less than cooperative, and the only person willing to be his assistant is Claire (Cheung), the long-term temp.

In order to improve its brand image, the company decides to set up counters in a number of luxury malls. Sammy then invites his buddy Arnold (Yen) to join the company.

Like many of the stories in this film’s series, do not expect the story to make any sense at all. However, despite the many holes in the plot, it still manages to serve a few laughs every now and then. Fans of the newer versions of this film series will certainly find this funny and entertaining.

Still, having grown up watching Stephen Chow in the first three All’s Well, Ends Well films, somehow, without Chow and his antics in these newer versions, including this one, the stories come out a trifle bland. And I do not like how they try to make Koo into Chow at times. Koo’s a great actor but not much of a comedian at all.

In addition, casting martial arts expert Yen in a comedy is more a box-office stunt than anything else. Yen’s comic talent is sadly lacking here. He seems awkward in most scenes and clearly does not belong in this movie.

Cheung also seems awkward in her role as a deeply insecure woman and she certainly has no chemistry with Koo at all. I can hardly tell if they are in love!

I do enjoy watching Carina Lau as Mona, Arnold’s first girlfriend, as she is whimsical and definitely fits the role well.

Yan Ni, who plays Clerk Chan’s (Raymond Wong) girlfriend, Dream, also stands out.

As for the other supporting cast, they are just plain annoying. The ending is also very weak and makes absolutely no sense at all.

I guess you can’t expect more as this is, after all, a Chinese New Year comedy and it’s certainly entertaining. If nothing else, catch it because Wong has reportedly said that this will be the last of the All’s Well, Ends Well instalments!

GeneChing
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Anyone see AWEW 2011? I'm a big Donnie fan, but I didn't get around to it.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011
China Lion Announces its Chinese New Year Slate and 2-for-1 Tickets (http://yellowcranestower.blogspot.com/2011/12/china-lion-announces-its-chinese-new.html)

Moviegoers can get 2-for-1 tickets on China Lion’s December 9th release of ‘Magic to Win’

China Lion Film Distribution announced release dates for two of its planned Chinese New Year’s releases, The Viral Factor, starring Jay Chou and Nicolas Tse, and Alls Well That Ends Well (2012), starring Donnie Yen and Louis Koo. The Viral Factor will open on January 20th, 2012, while Alls Well That Ends Well (2012) will release on January 27th, 2012, throughout North America. In addition, China Lion announced that its next release, Magic to Win, will have a special 2-for-1 ticket promotion that allows moviegoers to print a voucher from their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/chinalionfilm or their website www.chinalionentertainment.com entitling them to a 50 percent discount off two tickets for the December 9th release.

The Viral Factor stars international superstar Jay Chou as an ex-government agent whose involvement in a kidnap rescue mission leads to a meet-up with his corrupt and wanted brother (played by award-winning actor Nicholas Tse). The film is directed by Dante Lam, who previously helmed The Beast Stalker and co-directed the cult classic Beast Cops. The film will open day-and-date on January 20th with Hong Kong.

Alls Well That Ends Well (2012) is a continuation of the popular Hong Kong romantic comedy series that debuted in 1992 and has had six previous installments. The story revolves around different couples experiencing love and heartbreak in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The film stars Chapman To, Donnie Yen, Kelly Chen, Louis Koo, Lynn Hung, Raymond Wong and Sandra Ng. The film series is a Chinese New Year tradition for audiences and China Lion celebrates by releasing for Year of the Dragon celebrations on January 27th, 2012.

China Lion will also be offering a 2-for-1 ticket promotion for its December 9th release Magic To Win via its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/chinalionfilm and via its website www.chinalionentertainment.com. By going to China Lion’s Facebook page and “Liking” it, moviegoers will be able to print a voucher that can be presented at participating AMC Theatre box offices in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Toronto allowing them to purchase two tickets for the price of one (restrictions apply, please see China Lion’s Facebook page or its website for details). The contemporary adventure fantasy film stars Wu Jing, Raymond Wong and Wu Chun and revolves around a college student who accidentally inherits a wizard’s powers – only to be caught up in a fight to save the universe. The film will be playing exclusively at the AMC Atlantic Times Square 14 in Los Angeles, the AMC Empire 25 in New York, the AMC Loews Metreon 16 in San Francisco and the AMC Kennedy Commons 20 in Toronto.

GeneChing
01-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Follow the link for the trailer.

English-subbed Trailer For Donnie Yen's Latest Comedy (http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/01/english-subbed-trailer-for-donnie-yens-latest-comedy.php)
by Hugo Ozman, January 11, 2012 7:17 AM

http://twitchfilm.com/news/All%27s%20Well%20Ends%20Well%202012.jpg
If you have seen and liked the music video for Donnie Yen's new film ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 2012 that we posted just before Christmas, you may also want to check out the film's new English-subbed trailer that has become available.

The comedy is directed by Chan Hing-ka and Janet Chun (ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 2011, LA COMEDIE HUMAINE), and features an all star cast including Donnie Yen, Louis Koo, Kelly Chen, Lynn Hung, Chapman To and Sandra Ng.

ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 2012 is due to be released in Hong Kong and China just before Chinese New Year. And for my fellow Australians, the film has been picked up by China Lion for distribution and will open in cinemas on Australia Day.

GeneChing
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Film Review: All's Well Ends Well 2012 (http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/reviews/specialty-releases/e3i49daadf028ec3acb25d408116d1513d5)
Couples face romantic problems and occasional jokes in the latest entry in a long-running Hong Kong series.
Jan 26, 2012
-By Daniel Eagan

The seventh in a series of romantic comedies tied to the Chinese New Year, All's Well Ends Well 2012 flings four couples through minor entanglements before delivering them to happy endings. Plotwise a step up from last year's casually ****phobic outing, All's Well Ends Well 2012 skimps pretty severely on actual comedy. Asian viewers will still enjoy watching various Hong Kong movie stars make fools of themselves onscreen. Outsiders are likely to be baffled by all the commotion.

Returning from All's Well Ends Well 2011 are the four male leads as well as the ebullient comedienne Sandra Ng, who starred with Stephen Chow and Maggie Cheung in the first entry of the series back in 1992. Ng plays Chelsia, a down-on-her-luck pop star who latches onto Carl Tam (martial-arts star Donnie Yen in a fright wig), once a member of a 1990s boy band. They audition for a musical, leading to amusing parody videos of disco, Bollywood, and Hong Kong pop duo The Twins, along with long dramatic passages about staying true to your dreams no matter what everyone else says.

Last year Louis Koo played a makeup artist who pretends to be gay to advance his career; here he's a blue-collar construction worker who falls for high-class photographer Julie (Kelly Chen) with disastrous results. Koo has fun stripping down for his modeling sessions, and Chen is appropriately icy, but their storyline is too predictable, and never builds to big laughs.

Raymond Wong, a producer on the series since its inception, plays a divorce lawyer estranged from his wife and daughter. He agrees to fill in as a father figure for orphaned Cecilia (mainland star Yang Mi), who has a week to marry to gain her inheritance. An old-school sentimentalist, Wong leans toward scenes that are squishy and maudlin, although he does come up with a funny mahjong game involving old pop songs and hopping vampires.

Last and weirdest, Chapman To is Hugo, a novelist who agrees to date blind ballerina Charmine (Lynn Xiong) so she can experience romance. A narcissist despite his looks—To reportedly based him on director Peter Chan (Wuxia)—Hugo is both cruel and insecure, a combination that results in very few laughs. In fact, the best joke in the film is pretending that the stunning Xiong couldn't find a date.

The previous All's Well films were pretty ramshackle affairs, which was part of the fun. Imagine genuine Hollywood stars showing up in a Scary Movie episode to mock their previous performances in song and dance, and you get a sense of how All's Well Ends Well operated. This entry has a bit more narrative cohesion, but at the expense of that "anything goes" humor that made the series so watchable.

On the other hand, if the idea of making fun of Canto-pop, Asian millionaires and Peter Chan cracks you up, All's Well Ends Well 2012 is the film you've been waiting for. Donnie as an ex-boy band member...:rolleyes:

Lucas
02-01-2012, 01:16 PM
this is funny title of the thread because i know someone who owns a proctology clinic that is named; Alls well that ends well
:eek:

GeneChing
02-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Almost a year to the date.

They say the memory is the first thing to go.

I forget what the second thing is.

Lucas
02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
LOL i see that now. man i should read old threads before i respond, but at least im consistant!!!

brothernumber9
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
but at least im consistant!!!

I'm sure that's what they say after leaving proctology clinic too.

Lucas
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm sure that's what they say after leaving proctology clinic too.

bwahahahah!!!

GeneChing
06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Donnie as a glam rock has been in an HK goofy cameo rom com. Two hours and no fight scenes. I want those two hours back, Donnie. Why, oh why, did you do that to me? I've been such a loyal fan of your work and now this? :mad: