PDA

View Full Version : Practical Combat: Sword

SaintSage
02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Dyhydrogenmonoxide is murder. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujt3rMNoynI&feature=player_embedded#at=88)

Lucas
02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
how come no strikes on the draw? iaido baby!! twirling on the draw then striking gonna get ninja killed, but fun show :D

David Jamieson
02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
It sort of lost it's practicality when he kept whacking it onto those blocks.
He blunted the crap out of it half way through.
I think he gave it some sharpening mid film.

Anyway, the way to handle someone like that is to glock em with a punch drunk shot. lol (2 to the chest, one to the head). :)

Lucas
02-10-2011, 01:10 PM
looks like he has a forge behind him, maybe hes just testing a new blade out or something. checking how well he keeps an edge maybe?

wenshu
02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Mom is going to be PO'd when she sees the mess you made of the backyard dude.

I don't think that is what she had in mind when she told you to "take out the recycling. "

David Jamieson
02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I think he stole the idea from this dude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjiTJ1qnxeY

sean_stonehart
02-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Yo Joe!!!!!!

taai gihk yahn
02-11-2011, 08:11 AM
can u imagine being that guy's neighbor?!?

the best part is when he "breaks character" to pick up one of the bottles that he hit but didn't cut, LOL!

wenshu
02-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Real ninjas wear jean shorts. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hB9EZLNIxQ)

David Jamieson
02-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Real ninjas wear jean shorts. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hB9EZLNIxQ)

yeah, and to think that some poor woman is actually doing that guy and bearing his kids! :eek:

lol

Lucas
02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
can u imagine being that guy's neighbor?!?

as long as i can use his forge....

Shaolin
02-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Dyhydrogenmonoxide is murder. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujt3rMNoynI&feature=player_embedded#at=88)

Too many movies for that guy.

http://www.latinoreview.com/images/user/joex-large.jpg

MasterKiller
02-13-2011, 09:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujt3rMNoynI&feature=player_embedded

EarthDragon
02-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I wish it was me.... that guys kweel!

Hardwork108
02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujt3rMNoynI&feature=player_embedded

This ninja wannabe has a well deserved reputation for visciousness. So much so that most of the plastic bottled water products in his neighborhood are hiding in the local church.:D

Why do apparently grown up people post such videos on Youtube? :confused:

Syn7
02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
just look at the guys channel and see the titles of he rest of his flicks... i think he thinks its all really funny... he calls it martial arts comedy....:rolleyes:

taai gihk yahn
02-13-2011, 01:28 PM
oh, the carnage...the carnage...:(

taai gihk yahn
02-13-2011, 01:30 PM
This ninja wannabe has a well deserved reputation for visciousness. So much so that most of the plastic bottled water products in his neighborhood are hiding in the local church.:D
huddled together, afraid to make a krinkle, hoping to go unnoticed as he passes by...

Why do apparently grown up people post such videos on Youtube? :confused:
true; OTOH, if he were dressed as, oh, I don't know, a Spartan...:p

Hardwork108
02-13-2011, 01:31 PM
That video showed a lot of innocent water being spilt......:D

Hardwork108
02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
true; OTOH, if he were dressed as, oh, I don't know, a Spartan...:p

The Spartans in question were involved in recreation of some aspects of history and even technique. They were also interviewed, and that was the video I recall.

But putting up video of oneself massacering plastic bottled water? :confused:

taai gihk yahn
02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
The Spartans in question were involved in recreation of some aspects of history and even technique. They were also interviewed, and that was the video I recall.
well exactly - if he'd been dressed as a Spartan, it would have made the whole endeavor infinitely more respectable and social acceptable - instead of hiding behind a mask silently, he would have been able to give some historical background on the demolition of water-bearing receptacles in the ancient world!

But putting up video of oneself massacering plastic bottled water? :confused:
he was probably victimized by a gang of evil seltzers as a child and vowed revenge...

crashhelmet
02-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Is it just me or does his technique look sloppier than the mess he's making?

Hardwork108
02-13-2011, 02:40 PM
well exactly - if he'd been dressed as a Spartan, it would have made the whole endeavor infinitely more respectable and social acceptable - instead of hiding behind a mask silently, he would have been able to give some historical background on the demolition of water-bearing receptacles in the ancient world!
LOL, LOL!!

Apparently, in old Japan water-bearing receptacles were seen as public enemy number ones, even more so than the ninjas, themselves. It was not unknown for travellers and carriages to assaulted during their journeys, by heavily armed plastic water bottles.

he was probably victimized by a gang of evil seltzers as a child and vowed revenge...
LOL!

That would explain the pure hate with which he mercilessly slashed those poor defenseless plastic bottles....LOL

What you say also may shine some light on his almost sadomasichitic black outfit.:D

Hardwork108
02-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Is it just me or does his technique look sloppier than the mess he's making?

I think it is all that suppressed rage exploding out. He actually needs to meditate more in order to forget his "inconvenient" past with the plastic water container community.:D

Hebrew Hammer
02-13-2011, 06:30 PM
"Just when you thought the internet couldn't get any more awesome!...Ninja's working out the kinks!" This is indeed a great find.

A BIONIC LEG
02-13-2011, 11:52 PM
I've been studding Kung Fu off and on for a couple of years (Souther Shaolin and now Taoul Moon) and the broad swoard I have always used has been quite light weight. Now I'm currently stationed in Okinawa and the only broadsword I have access too anywhere on the island is "combat steel" and crazy heavy. This is the first time I've seen this and I'm a little confused. With that being said can someone please tell me the diffrence between the norther and southern Chinese broadsword?

David Jamieson
02-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Broadsword..or rather "Big Knife" is same same in regards to Chinese martial arts.
It generally denotes a single sided blade like a machete and the variations will come in blade shape, steel quality and weight.

A lighter sword of hardy steel is always better than a heavy one of poor quality and one that is too light, or made for performance wushu is just a prop really.

"combat" steel is a made up term it is not really meaningful.

Alloy 316 is a really high grade corrosion resistant stainless steel, Alloy 304 is almost as good, 440 Stainless is what Kitchen knives get made out of more often than not and then there are several grades beneath those.

carbon high grade steel is what you want and heavy is not that great in a single handed weapon. :)

A BIONIC LEG
02-14-2011, 06:20 AM
So I guess my next question would be, any time I see the "flimisier" (sp?) sword that would be on the wushu end?

David Jamieson
02-14-2011, 06:40 AM
So I guess my next question would be, any time I see the "flimisier" (sp?) sword that would be on the wushu end?

Very thing and very flexible usually denotes a performance wushu blade.

These are made thinner and lighter on purpose to facilitate the speed with which the performer can move.

Pretty much all weapons have been lightened and thinned down for performance wushu.

Having said that, I'm sure you're aware that swords and such are fairly antiquated as weapons go and that good swordmanship is something one keeps for posterity, the art itself or sport alone.

A BIONIC LEG
02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Ok Im following now, thanks. I've really only been studding Kung Fu as a whole for about 2 years. I started with Shaolin Kung Fu under Master Jerry Cook and that was for about 6 months and currently studding Teoul Moon under GM Yim Hon Suk. I left Korea last September (Air Force) and now that I'm in Okinawa this is the first time that I've seen a heavier broadsword.

So I guess I'm really confused now because the way the two swords (northern /southern) were explained to me was one was solid with a hard angle at the tip and the other was flexible with a pointed tip. Can you shed any light on this?

David Jamieson
02-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Ok Im following now, thanks. I've really only been studding Kung Fu as a whole for about 2 years. I started with Shaolin Kung Fu under Master Jerry Cook and that was for about 6 months and currently studding Teoul Moon under GM Yim Hon Suk. I left Korea last September (Air Force) and now that I'm in Okinawa this is the first time that I've seen a heavier broadsword.

So I guess I'm really confused now because the way the two swords (northern /southern) were explained to me was one was solid with a hard angle at the tip and the other was flexible with a pointed tip. Can you shed any light on this?

well, the chinese broadsword or da dao/darn dao etc (big knife) is typically called an oxtail knife and is usually the same shape as those from the Song dynasty.

Here's a picture:
http://www.swords24.eu/images/products/en/Hanwei_Ox-Tail_Dao_Kungfu_Sword.jpg

Here is a typical pattern for what is known as a tai chi broadsword.
http://www.warrior-supplies.com/images_products/46_big.jpg

there are of course plenty of other swords besides these like horse cutter knifes and various ornate chopping knives and all sorts of obscure custom stuff.

the most typical are the two shown, with the oxtail being the most common kung fu broadsword and the tai chi one being more relegated to tai chi only and frequently best known with Yang style practice.

here is one more, it is called a da dao as well but is also a hand and a half.
http://www.martialartsmart.com/45-1012.html

maybe this is the flat top one you were told about?

SPJ
02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
yes recycle your plastic

save the planet

plastic is not biodegradable

they stay for ever

----

I meant after you destory them with your sword practice

please remember to recyle whatever is left, too.

:eek:

Lucas
02-14-2011, 11:18 AM
unless you're a wushu guy you may consider dropping the foil and start using some weighted weapons regularly, or at least a long side your performance tools. it'll make a world of difference.

David Jamieson
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
the hanwei forged dao is nice...if you must choose. :-)

as in..this one:

http://www.martialartsmart.com/45-2063.html

it's nice

Lucas
02-14-2011, 11:48 AM
i love hanwei forge :D

A BIONIC LEG
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Thank that is a lot of great information. I have just recently switched over from the wushu style so I am definatly getting a work out just with the one form.

Unfortunatly I cant post any pictures (at work) but can anyone tell me what the broadsword is with the hard edge tip and the solid ring on the pummel. The diamiter of the ring is the same as the handel.

David Jamieson
02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Thank that is a lot of great information. I have just recently switched over from the wushu style so I am definatly getting a work out just with the one form.

Unfortunatly I cant post any pictures (at work) but can anyone tell me what the broadsword is with the hard edge tip and the solid ring on the pummel. The diamiter of the ring is the same as the handel.

here's the write up from the store:

Long the traditional weapon of China’s peasant armies, the Dadao, or ‘big sword’, was used with deadly effect as late as the 1930’s in the Sino-Japanese War. Its single- or two-handed versatility (often called a hand-and-a-half sword), combined with the tremendous slashing power of its weight-forward blade made it the ideal close-quarters weapon. Although the originals had no scabbard, a simple carrying case is provided for protection and ease of transportation. Overall length: 37.5” Weight: 2 lbs 5 oz