PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo exercises

SifuYui
02-14-2011, 01:56 AM
New York Hung Ga did a demo showing these exercises we do with bamboo sticks bundled together.

Yui

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn0U57wtWq4

ginosifu
02-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Sweet!
Nice Vid SifuYui, I just wanted to know where can I get some of those bamboo sticks? I would like just to hit some of my students... maybe not for iron body training but, because I like whooping them.

ginosifu

mooyingmantis
02-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Sweet!
Nice Vid SifuYui, I just wanted to know where can I get some of those bamboo sticks? I would like just to hit some of my students... maybe not for iron body training but, because I like whooping them.

ginosifu

WUSS! Your Hung Gar is weak! I hit my students with an eighteen inch long 2x4 that I put on a lathe and turned a handle on.

You mean you can use these for iron body training too???? I thought it was just for keeping the slacker's attention. :D

On a more serious note.... Yes Shifu Yui, nice demo!

SifuYui
02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey Gino,

The bamboos were originally used to "encourage" students to do better in class, so you're on the right track. In New York, there's a flower district (just like they have a diamond, restaurant equipment, and lighting district), and they sell these bamboos for decoration, but we KF people have better uses for them, heh heh!

Yui

SifuYui
02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey Richard,

You're right, I am getting soft - note bigger belly - I gave up the "Walking Tall" lumber training after the third arm break :D

Thanks for your support my man.

Yui

mooyingmantis
02-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey Richard,

You're right, I am getting soft - note bigger belly - I gave up the "Walking Tall" lumber training after the third arm break :D

Thanks for your support my man.

Yui

LOL! Actually that was directed at my friend Gino.

You looked MARVELOUS!

gunglihchuan
02-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Great techniques.! We have a similar technique to your double forearm block in Tai Chi mantis.

We just do it as an arm break and then follow up with a palm to the ribs.

You are a Sifu from Grandmaster’s Yee school are you not? I have seen many of your videos and your Kung fu is Superior!

Nice to see it.

TenTigers
02-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Great to see old skool conditioning.
We need more people like Sifu Yui who teach the traditional methods, and letting the world know that traditional training was conditioning, drilling, and sparring, and not simply forms collecting.
Great job!.

Dale Dugas
02-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Shifu Yui,

Great video of you and your students and how you train your da sam sing gung!

SifuYui
02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Hi Gunglihchuan. Yes, I am a disciple of Yee Chi Wai Sifu; thank you for your kind remarks. Like your Tai Chi arm break, the "double block" on the bamboo is actually an arm break, not a block, but when I demo it on my student, I was being nice and bent his arm instead. Otherwise no one would want to work with me the next time I demo'd this :P

Rik, Dale, thank you for your support as always. It's because of dedicated gung fu people like yourselves that makes me work harder to put out quality gung fu clips. Otherwise the haters would say gung fu is useless.

Yui