PDA

View Full Version : My Workout Routine

Iron_Eagle_76
02-16-2011, 06:58 AM
This is my workout regiment and routine. Please feel free to post yours and how you feel it benefits you.

Strength Training: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
M-Back, Legs, & Abs
W-Chest & Abs
F-Bi, Tris, Abs
Lifting takes about 1 hour and usually do a 2 mile jog on the tread mill afterwards.

Kung Fu: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
I teach class and do basics, stance training, forms, and sparring with my students as much as I can when I am not teaching and correcting. Class is 6-8pm. My workout before that consists of this:

2-3 minute rounds on the double end ball
3-3 minute rounds on the thai bag
2-3 minute rounds boxing (all hands)
1-3 minute round thai bag (kicks alone)
1-3 minute round throwing dummy (shuai jiao throws, takedowns, ect.)

Also will get in some mitt work and Thai mitt work if I have someone to hold for me. Saturday is my open gym day at the school so I usually get a great workout in on that day.

Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.

bawang
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
hey man, can i ask why u only do legs one time a week, and why u do biceps and triceps? u have monster cardio btw

sanjuro_ronin
02-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I always prefer whole body workouts, but that's just me.
I would recommend only 30 seconds between rounds, if you are not already doing that and to include some stick work also.
In regards to the ST, doing cardio AFTER a weight work can be detrimental to the gains ( strength and/or mass) that you could have gotten from it.
I suggest running before the ST to get "warmed up" for it and static stretching after the ST.
Abs are just another muscle by the way, no need to train them everyday.
They get lots of indirect work with squats and DL and most of your MA bag work.

wenshu
02-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Conditioning:
Mon
early am: 30m treadmill or elliptical (high incline, high resistance intervals)
evening: Coach Sommer's GB WOD (http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=4abc4e07e907d3c59924a545d83937bc)(movements scaled to current ability) +stance training (ma bu 3x2m), gong fu drills, followed by stretching.

Tue,
GB WOD
Floor L-sit 4x15s, stance training (ma bu 3x2m), gong fu drills followed by stretching.
Gymnastics open gym (tumbling, break falls, rings, PB) 1&1/2 hours

Wed
early am: 30m treadmill or elliptical (high incline, high resistance intervals)

Tr:
GB WOD.

Fri:
GB WOD
Floor L-sit 4x15s, stance training (ma bu 3x2m), gong fu drills followed by stretching.

MA: Schedule varies

Muay Thai 2-3d/wk 2-3 hrs
3-4 rds skipping rope no rest between rounds
atleast 3 rds sparring, 3xheavy bag, 3xspeed bag, 3xdouble end. Maize bag and drills.

练功:1-2d/wk 1:30hr
Mostly spear and guan dao. Some empty hand maintenance work. Have not been going last couple of weeks, too much New Year performance brouhaha around this time.

I also do a shoulder prehab routine atleast once a week.
打坐 everyday at least 10 min, usually 20.

Iron_Eagle_76
02-16-2011, 01:14 PM
hey man, can i ask why u only do legs one time a week, and why u do biceps and triceps? u have monster cardio btw

Strength training (lifting) once per week with legs I believe is all you need. Squats. leg presses, leg curls, ect. Also during Kung Fu I do all stance training and leg conditioning exercises for static and endurance purposes. Bi and Tris I do for two reasons, looks and arm strength, particulary in the clinch and grappling I personally see a huge benefit in that training.

As for my cardio, thanks, but can always improve.

Iron_Eagle_76
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
I always prefer whole body workouts, but that's just me.
I would recommend only 30 seconds between rounds, if you are not already doing that and to include some stick work also.
In regards to the ST, doing cardio AFTER a weight work can be detrimental to the gains ( strength and/or mass) that you could have gotten from it.
I suggest running before the ST to get "warmed up" for it and static stretching after the ST.
Abs are just another muscle by the way, no need to train them everyday.
They get lots of indirect work with squats and DL and most of your MA bag work.

The run after ST is more out of habit than benefit, which I know is not what should be done. I used to do the run before ST as you suggested and may try this again to see if I get better results.

As for abs, it's just my pet peeve. After turning 34 last month, I still have this dream of having the six pack I had at 18. I know it takes much more than exercise to acheive this, things like proper diet, not drinking beer, being 18 again, oh well, torture for the mind.:)

sanjuro_ronin
02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
The run after ST is more out of habit than benefit, which I know is not what should be done. I used to do the run before ST as you suggested and may try this again to see if I get better results.

As for abs, it's just my pet peeve. After turning 34 last month, I still have this dream of having the six pack I had at 18. I know it takes much more than exercise to acheive this, things like proper diet, not drinking beer, being 18 again, oh well, torture for the mind.:)

Six packs are for kids, you are a MAN, take pride in having a KEG !!

David Jamieson
02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't see any beer consumption time on these lists.

You guy's are faking these.

wenshu
02-16-2011, 01:46 PM
如諸佛盡壽不飲酒,我某甲亦盡壽不飲酒 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts)

sanjuro_ronin
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't see any beer consumption time on these lists.

You guy's are faking these.

I accept the following:
Sapporo as a warm-up
Heineken after squats
Bud light lime as a post recovery drink.

David Jamieson
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I accept the following:
Sapporo as a warm-up
Heineken after squats

see people, this is an honest man! :p

wenshu
02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Just cause you're drunk and indolent. . .

Hebrew Hammer
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM
This is my workout regiment and routine. Please feel free to post yours and how you feel it benefits you.

M-Back, Legs, & Abs
W-Chest & Abs
F-Bi, Tris, Abs
Lifting takes about 1 hour and usually do a 2 mile jog on the tread mill afterwards.

Kung Fu: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
I teach class and do basics, stance training, forms, and sparring with my students as much as I can when I am not teaching and correcting. Class is 6-8pm. My workout before that consists of this:

2-3 minute rounds on the double end ball
3-3 minute rounds on the thai bag
2-3 minute rounds boxing (all hands)
1-3 minute round thai bag (kicks alone)
1-3 minute round throwing dummy (shuai jiao throws, takedowns, ect.)

Also will get in some mitt work and Thai mitt work if I have someone to hold for me. Saturday is my open gym day at the school so I usually get a great workout in on that day.

Thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.

All of that and you still have girl arms? :D Just kidding...you sound like you're very active and should be in great shape. I work full time week nights + and am currently in school 3/4 time...so here's what I'm able to do.

I'm with Sanjuro on the weight training, I prefer all over routine but I generally do it 2x a week. Its about a 75min work out doing 3sets-15reps of about 24 diff exercises including ab work. I alternate sets with push pull exercises...tri/biceps...bench/back, leg extensions/curls etc. Tempo and keeping my heart rate up are important for the anaerobic conditioning. Usually I'll take an hour yoga class at the gym for my warm up/stretching prior to hitting the my circuit.

On non weight training days I'm getting out for a 5K run/walk 2x week depending on how my punishment my back can take.

Martially, I'm trying to make a comeback, due to my schedule I think I found a weekend's only BJJ class, for 2hrs on Sat/Sun and will be working some strikes on pads at a park with a TKD/Hapkido guy for about an hour.

Hebrew Hammer
02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I accept the following:
Sapporo as a warm-up
Heineken after squats

We call beer a 'rookies' drink...I much prefer the good Captain (the Admiral to his friends) and shots of Tequila. That's just me, everyone has their own poison.

wenshu
02-16-2011, 03:32 PM

M-Back, Legs, & Abs
W-Chest & Abs
F-Bi, Tris, Abs

On Fridays instead of isolating biceps and triceps maybe sub in dips and pull ups/chins/rows.

Do you find teaching interferes with your programming?

I feel like teaching is a good way to get fat and de-conditioned.

Iron_Eagle_76
02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
On Fridays instead of isolating biceps and triceps maybe sub in dips and pull ups/chins/rows.

Do you find teaching interferes with your programming?

I feel like teaching is a good way to get fat and de-conditioned.

Pull Up/ Chin Ups/Rows are done on Monday as part of my ST routine. The circuit training routine I do before I teach, as well as get in some basics, stance training, and sparring during the class. I also do mitt work and spar with another instructor who teaches with me, as well as some of my senior students. Instructors who get fat and de-conditioned are the ones who stop training themselves and simply focus on teaching.

I teach for the love of my art but also to improve my art and fighting skill as well. In my opinion certain things you must still be able to do if you are going to continue to teach.

Iron_Eagle_76
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
All of that and you still have girl arms? :D Just kidding...you sound like you're very active and should be in great shape. I work full time week nights + and am currently in school 3/4 time...so here's what I'm able to do.

I'm with Sanjuro on the weight training, I prefer all over routine but I generally do it 2x a week. Its about a 75min work out doing 3sets-15reps of about 24 diff exercises including ab work. I alternate sets with push pull exercises...tri/biceps...bench/back, leg extensions/curls etc. Tempo and keeping my heart rate up are important for the anaerobic conditioning. Usually I'll take an hour yoga class at the gym for my warm up/stretching prior to hitting the my circuit.

On non weight training days I'm getting out for a 5K run/walk 2x week depending on how my punishment my back can take.

Martially, I'm trying to make a comeback, due to my schedule I think I found a weekend's only BJJ class, for 2hrs on Sat/Sun and will be working some strikes on pads at a park with a TKD/Hapkido guy for about an hour.

I used to do total body workouts, found that I gained more doing muscle specific. Workouts can be individually specific so it is about finding what works best for you, isolating muscles during strength training is what works for me.

Your routine sounds very productive. We all have busy lives, I work full time in management so I know how hard it can be to "make" yourself do that workout when you really just want to rest, but as the old saying goes, "We are all forged in the fires of self-discipline". As for what kind of shape I am in now, I consider "not bad", but there is always room for improvement, which is what I strive for daily.

Hebrew Hammer
02-17-2011, 12:21 AM
I used to do total body workouts, found that I gained more doing muscle specific. Workouts can be individually specific so it is about finding what works best for you, isolating muscles during strength training is what works for me.

Your routine sounds very productive. We all have busy lives, I work full time in management so I know how hard it can be to "make" yourself do that workout when you really just want to rest, but as the old saying goes, "We are all forged in the fires of self-discipline". As for what kind of shape I am in now, I consider "not bad", but there is always room for improvement, which is what I strive for daily.

A very valid point, you're doing great and I look FLABULOUS, and I'm looking to lean down, and strength isn't an issue for me, weight loss and toning are. Best of luck in your training.

A BIONIC LEG
02-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Iron Eagle,

Thanks for starting this thread, this is really what I was going for with "How much time do you spend in the dojo." So how do I close out that thread?

A BIONIC LEG
02-17-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm in the Air Force so a lot of this is a little curtailed to my job.

I'm in Okinawa so my running is dictated by the weather. When it's not raining, I run 4 to 6 miles 5 days a week.

Total body 5 days a week

Morning work out
all 4 x 10
rotater cuff flys
inside chest flys
outside chest flys
40 lb curls low mid high
weider wrist thingy curls
abb roller

all 4 x 5
leg lifts w/ 10 lb medicine ball between feet
leg lifts (legs come up w/ soles of fee pointing at sky. when feet rest at 6 in above ground drop medicine ball on abs
drop 40lb medicine ball (sand bag) on abb (about 6-12 in high). Working on increasing height.

Then finaly, while liying flat on back make a fist with thumb nuckle striking sturnum. Continue reppetitive strikes for 1 minute.

While at work I do at minum 10 pull up/ chin ups (both) maxium 30 throughout the night (shift work).

Now on to Kung Fu

Which is also 5 days a week. I get my leg workout here.

Streches
Stances
punching set
Kicks
Empty hand forms
Weapons

So my original question as it probably should have been. Teoul Moon is primarly forms (we do spar when we have the people however I'm currently practicing by myself) so for those who spend quite a bit of time with their forms... how do you spend your time in practice? Do you do each form once only for that day/ multiple times ect. ?

I am open to suggestions as I am trying to improve my art.

Frost
02-17-2011, 06:16 AM
My routine is as follows

Monday

Strength day

Dynamic warm up then squats, Bench, Deadlifts , chins followed by 30-50 mins cardiac development work Hr 130-150bpm

Tuesday rest day

Wednesday

Am 30 minutes cardiac work, using explosive drills

Pm 2hrs grappling class

Thursday

30 to 50 mins cardiac work HR 130-150bpm followed by high box squat, incline bench and trap bar deadlifts done at 70% volume of day 1

Friday

Cardiac power development high intensity continues intervals: I use weighted step ups, starting at 1 x 10 minute session and working up to 2 x 20 minutes

Saturday

2hrs wrestling for MMA and grappling class

mig
02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
It sounds you all are Spartans. I guess it is your fun working out and like myself I don't have that time, resources and energy. It is the process of aging so enjoy as much as you can now.

Best,

Mig

mig
02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
BTW, what do you eat or do you have a special diet or gracie's diet or do you eat McDo's or the junk food you can have? Just curious.

Iron_Eagle_76
02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
So my original question as it probably should have been. Teoul Moon is primarly forms (we do spar when we have the people however I'm currently practicing by myself) so for those who spend quite a bit of time with their forms... how do you spend your time in practice? Do you do each form once only for that day/ multiple times ect. ?

I am open to suggestions as I am trying to improve my art.

One thing I would suggest is to get yourself a heavy bag and use this as well. Forms can be a good cardio workout and are good for refining technique, but you need to be able to hit something solid that let's you gauge your speed, power distribution, and timing. Sparring is the best way to do this but since you said you are lacking in sparring partners right now I would suggest buying a bag and implementing that into your routine. Also exercises with kettlebells will improve muscular endurance as well as give you more explosiveness. Hope that helps.

Iron_Eagle_76
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM
BTW, what do you eat or do you have a special diet or gracie's diet or do you eat McDo's or the junk food you can have? Just curious.

Diet is important, but I admit fully I am not stringent when it comes to dieting. I do eat pretty much what I want, just in portions. In other words, if I'm hungry, I eat, but not until I stuff myself. Diet is once again an idividual thing. If you are getting ready for a fight a sound diet provides added strength and helps cut weight if you need to. But some do not and eat what they want. Bill Wallace said for years his training diet was cheesburgers and french fries, so it can be individually different. But for the most part, if you want to trim fat and boost energy, dieting is essential.

mig
02-17-2011, 09:42 PM
So kind of diet you need to follow in order to practice what these zealous experts show in their daily routine. Warriors of the 21st century. I don't think that junk food will do any good even if Wallace said it.

A BIONIC LEG
02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
One thing I would suggest is to get yourself a heavy bag and use this as well. Forms can be a good cardio workout and are good for refining technique, but you need to be able to hit something solid that let's you gauge your speed, power distribution, and timing. Sparring is the best way to do this but since you said you are lacking in sparring partners right now I would suggest buying a bag and implementing that into your routine. Also exercises with kettlebells will improve muscular endurance as well as give you more explosiveness. Hope that helps.

That acctually does help thanks. We do have a heavy bag in the dojo I'm practicing at currently but its not hung yet wich does me no good . :) As far as the kettlebell thing is concerned I've noticed recently a spike in popularity in the gym community and I've never used them. Any suggestions for work outs?

bawang
02-18-2011, 03:35 AM
i am recovering from spine injury back in high school so i dont lift that heavy, but i started doing squats 2 times a week for the past 2 months for the first time in 4 or 5 years

if any of u guys are trying to train stances i recommend using a weight vest. i use a 40 lb one

Iron_Eagle_76
02-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Some of the most intense and best circuit training and workout routines I get from here, the guy is an animal and also goes into detail about what workouts are good, particulary for martial artists and combat sports practioners.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/

Enjoy.:)

wenshu
02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
So kind of diet you need to follow in order to practice what these zealous experts show in their daily routine. Warriors of the 21st century. I don't think that junk food will do any good even if Wallace said it.

The routines posted qualify neither as zealotry nor expert.

Eat less processed foods, more plants.

mig
02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
The routines posted qualify neither as zealotry nor expert.

Eat less processed foods, more plants.

Then I am curious how long can you go with those type of exercises, until 30 yrs. old, 40 yrs. old and then retire, just wondering

Frost
02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
It sounds you all are Spartans. I guess it is your fun working out and like myself I don't have that time, resources and energy. It is the process of aging so enjoy as much as you can now.

Best,

Mig

i work out 4 of 5 days a week, and have at least 2 off, no workout lasts longer than 2 hrs, some as little as 3o minutes and intensity varies from low to high

how on earth is that spartan?

Frost
02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Then I am curious how long can you go with those type of exercises, until 30 yrs. old, 40 yrs. old and then retire, just wondering

i know 3 or 4 world champion powerlifters in there 60's, a couple who now ref and lift 3 times a week for fun in their 70's

Iron_Eagle_76
02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
i know 3 or 4 world champion powerlifters in there 60's, a couple who now ref and lift 3 times a week for fun in their 70's

All too often people put a limitation on themselves regarding their age. I know plenty of people who still work out hard and push themselves phycially in martial arts and in weight lifting. My instructor is 61, still can spar hard and bang. Also, another instructor in my area just turned 70 and still spars and loves to bang. Obviously they are not going to be fighting full contact competitions, but can they still do it, absolutely.

As for weight lifting, a ton of guys over 50 at the gym I go to that do powerlifting and body building and would make most twenty year olds look sad. Saying "I'm too old" is just another excuse of "I'm too lazy".

Hebrew Hammer
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
All too often people put a limitation on themselves regarding their age. I know plenty of people who still work out hard and push themselves physically in martial arts and in weight lifting. My instructor is 61, still can spar hard and bang. Also, another instructor in my area just turned 70 and still spars and loves to bang. Obviously they are not going to be fighting full contact competitions, but can they still do it, absolutely.

Well put, most people's limitations are set by their mind and lack of imagination. There are tons of older Triathletes and Ultra marathoners well into their 60s...things I can't do in my 40's...make that can't do yet. It's all about vision and progress.

YouKnowWho
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
There is a difference between "general workout" and "MA workout". The bench press is general workout that can build strong muscle and there is no question about it. But I prefer the MA workout that can link directly toward MA skill development. Here is a "MA workout" that develop 2 arms twisting power which is very useful in wrestling. The interest thing is even today, I still can't find any training equipment in the modern gym that can replace this ancient training method yet (I go to 24 hours fitness center 3 times a week).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUzE5MQhdcc

I like this one too. It builds strong "body alignment".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJuKyds9BBc

mig
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
i work out 4 of 5 days a week, and have at least 2 off, no workout lasts longer than 2 hrs, some as little as 3o minutes and intensity varies from low to high

how on earth is that spartan?

Ok, ok, but are you in your twenties? When I think about having kids, taking care of kids activities, your hectic schedule at work, other responsabilities to take care then when do you think I can have that quality time. I am practicing now and having difficulties to adjust everything with my life responsabilities and most of the time it is not easy to commit not even four days of training. Welcome to the world of responsabilities. And this is the reason of my replies about this posting.

YouKnowWho
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm not in my twenties but since I have retired and have all the time in the world, I can train 5 days a week with 4 hours each (I like to rest on weekend). IMO, the more that I use my body, the longer it may last.

Frost
02-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Ok, ok, but are you in your twenties? When I think about having kids, taking care of kids activities, your hectic schedule at work, other responsabilities to take care then when do you think I can have that quality time. I am practicing now and having difficulties to adjust everything with my life responsabilities and most of the time it is not easy to commit not even four days of training. Welcome to the world of responsabilities. And this is the reason of my replies about this posting.

nope in my mid 30's with a job, family and mortgage, its about doing what you love and fitting it all in, last week i did two gym sessions, to MMA classes and another cardio session, still fitted in going to work, taking my partner out for a few meals and doing the house work

Brule
02-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Frost,

Clearly you have no kids :p

Frost
02-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Nope but I have two very demanding Labradors not to mention a job that is very odd hours and miles from training and home:)

I understand that having kids makes it more difficult, and that none of us have the freedom that a teenager has, but still you can make time if you want to, you might not be able to make as much time as you want but you can still make the time, I know plenty of guys with kids who still find time to go training,

I also still think it’s a cop out to blame not training on getting older or having commitments, most people responding to this thread don’t workout every day for hours, one or two hours at most 4 times a week, that’s hardly a lot in the grand scheme of things

Brule
02-28-2011, 07:24 AM
I know, just giving another excuse. If it's important to you then you will find time. And if people look hard enough, i'm sure they can find 45 minutes a day to workout.

Iron_Eagle_76
02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Nope but I have two very demanding Labradors not to mention a job that is very odd hours and miles from training and home:)

I understand that having kids makes it more difficult, and that none of us have the freedom that a teenager has, but still you can make time if you want to, you might not be able to make as much time as you want but you can still make the time, I know plenty of guys with kids who still find time to go training,

I also still think it’s a cop out to blame not training on getting older or having commitments, most people responding to this thread don’t workout every day for hours, one or two hours at most 4 times a week, that’s hardly a lot in the grand scheme of things

I see it often with people I know who want to learn Kung Fu, or at least say they do, but do not want to commit to it. I hold class at my gym on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings. I always get people telling me they would like to come but just don't have the time, or think that 3 days a week is too much. A two hour class three times per week equals six hours out of a week. I guarntee you they spend that much time watching television or surfing the internet!

Those who want it and love it will find a way to train. Those who really don't want to but want to look like they do will back peddle and make excuses.

YouKnowWho
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Those who want it and love it will find a way to train.

One of my frineds told his wife that CMA is his 1st wife and she is his 2nd wife.

Oneday a meeting passed the lunch hour. I stood up, told my manager that I had lunch hour practice, and left that meeting.

When I had my serious training, I had a year and half without sex. It was pretty hard that when your girl asked you but you could not give to her.

You have to be a bit crazy to belong to the 武道(Wu Dao) - MA society.

bawang
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
When I had my serious training, I had a year and half without sex.
you are a man of honer

sanjuro_ronin
03-01-2011, 06:50 AM
One has to be honest and understand that time is a precious and finite element of life.
I will give you an example of my typical day:
wake up at 5:30 AM
6AM to 6:30 is IP
Breakfast after and get girls up, clothes and ready, out to nanny at 7:30 and at work by 8.
Leave work at 4:30 and pick up girls
Help eldest with home work till 5:30 and then start dinner.
Eat with kids from 6-7 and then clean up, put kids in bed at 7:30.
Start work out at 8 sometimes 8:30 PM
Finish workout 45 to 60 min later.
Shower and try to chill before bed at 10:30
Repeat all 5 days of the week if possible.
Saturday get in extra workout if possible.

Thing is that, with such a late work out and being non-stop most if the day, well...it isn't always possible to workout every day, one gets quite run down...

David Jamieson
03-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Not only that, but once you're over 40 don't even think about having the same routines as a 20 something or even a 30 something.

Once you hit that magic mark, the deterioration really kicks in and you have to work 2x as hard to get half the gains and you will need 4x the rest and recover time you used to need.

A lot of older guys damage themselves because they don't have that level of body awareness that tells them the processes have changed.

Training should be your pleasure, your interest and your activity.
It won't bring you longevity, it won't bring you ultimate power, it won't make you invincible, but it will give you something to do and enjoy while you pass your time here on earth. :)