PDA

View Full Version : Timers

Punch.HeadButt
02-24-2011, 06:44 PM
A bit of a random question, but I'm having difficulty finding a good digital timer. Ideally, I need something that would let me specify an allotment of time with alerts placed at intervals throughout that time (for example, a 30 minute timer set to alarm every 2 minutes, or a 20 minute timer set to go off every 30 seconds, etc.). I've looked, but have yet to find a timer with this capability.

Has anybody ever come across something with this functionality? If so, what brand/where can I find it?

If no one has seen such a thing, I'm left to wonder why it doesn't exist...seems like such a useful function.

Sihing73
02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Hello,

I find this one to be pretty good for the price. You can set any length of rounds and time. It only allows two distinct round times though, but that should be okay for most uses. Besides it only costs $20. :D

http://www.gymboss.com/

http://www.gymboss.com/buy.php

David Jamieson
02-25-2011, 06:19 AM
GIYF!

So... LMGTFY (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ring+timers)

wenshu
02-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Do you have an Iphone, Ipod Touch or Android phone?

There are free interval timers on the Android market.

ITunes App store has one for like 1.99 or something.

Punch.HeadButt
02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I find this one to be pretty good for the price. You can set any length of rounds and time. It only allows two distinct round times though, but that should be okay for most uses. Besides it only costs $20.

Sweet, thank you. I was hoping to be able to walk in somewhere and see/hold the thing, but I'll definitely check out that timer if it's the only game in town.

GIYF!

So... LMGTFY

I have to admit, I'm not up on all the acronymn talk...had no idea what you were saying until I clicked the link. Yes, I'm aware of Google...I'm also aware that a forum of martial artists involved in training provides a slightly narrower scope with a higher chance of like-minded individuals responding to my very specific request. Thanks tho, great help.

Do you have an Iphone, Ipod Touch or Android phone?

There are free interval timers on the Android market.

ITunes App store has one for like 1.99 or something.

Nah, no iAnything or Android here...just an old clam phone with a broken front LCD ;) Thank you for the tip, tho.

Sihing73
02-26-2011, 07:14 AM
[QUOTE=Punch.HeadButt;1080214]Sweet, thank you. I was hoping to be able to walk in somewhere and see/hold the thing, but I'll definitely check out that timer if it's the only game in town.QUOTE]

Hello,

Well, I bought two of these and they work okay. The buzzer is not very loud but the vibrate function works great if you clip it on your belt or whatever.

I have one which I use when I am at work, for stances and footwork and one at home which I use for the same as well as the treadmill. You can set these up for Tabati as well which works great.

Although, I still need to work out much more as I am still fat and lazy :p
Like anything, just having the timer won't do you any good, you still have to use it. :D

Punch.HeadButt
02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Cool, thanks again. I'll probably snoop around for some more reviews and snag one. I've become interested in a timer purely because I'm tired of watching the clock/keeping a mental stopwatch (when possible)...trust me, lack of a timer isn't stopping me from doing anything ;)

Oso
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
android's are cheap now...when you next upgrade, you'll probably be able to get one as a free phone or for very little $$.

I only say this because there are free interval timers available and I haven't used my boxing interval timer once since getting this free app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pav9ZLNyjxs

not me, btw.

that must be an older video...the newest version allows you to set up a prep time so you can set the phone down and get ready and a cool down time. you can also save every different workout so you don't have to set up every one each time you switch up. it's plenty loud, easy to hear over music.

i have to pimp the android, though: given that the google nav app replaces a $100+ device and this app replaces a $100+ device, I can't complain about dropping $150 on it at all.

Punch.HeadButt
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
that must be an older video...the newest version allows you to set up a prep time so you can set the phone down and get ready and a cool down time. you can also save every different workout so you don't have to set up every one each time you switch up. it's plenty loud, easy to hear over music.

i have to pimp the android, though: given that the google nav app replaces a $100+ device and this app replaces a $100+ device, I can't complain about dropping $150 on it at all.

That is definitely a cool looking app. If I ever do get a new phone, I had already decided on Android over iPhone. If it happens, I'll absolutely pick up that app. Thanks for the heads up.

As it is, I ordered a Gymboss on Monday and it should be here either today or tomorrow. I'll post my opinion of it once I fiddle with it a bit (while pretending that anyone actually gives a hoot about my opinion of it :p).

Oso
03-02-2011, 05:01 PM
ha...no worries, we all pretty much pretend that other people care. :)

Punch.HeadButt
03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, I said I would so here I go :D. Took a while as I had to wait until I snagged some triple A batteries. Bottomline opinion of the Gymboss: It's worth the $20 (if you don't have that shnazzy Android app) and does what it says it does. The first minute of fiddling with it was a bit irritating, as even with the included instructions (short-winded as they are) it's a bit confusing initially on how to set it up. It's only got three buttons, so navigation is simplistic to say the least. But after that first minute of fiddling with it, it becomes very clear and straightforward.

After that, works just fine. You can set it to high beep (only setting I've used so far, and it's plenty audible even if you're listening to music at moderate levels), low beep, and/or vibrate. You can also set the duration of the beep between rounds to up to 5 (if I remember right) seconds, which helps give some leeway in moving from one exercise to the next without using time from each of the rounds.

As the first thing I did was set it for my exercises and use it, I haven't played with anything beyond what that took, so I can't comment on anything else about it. All-in-all, in the absence of the aforementioned shnazzy app or a much more expensive ring-timer, the Gymboss is a very desirable option. Thanks again to Sihing73 for giving me the heads-up on it, as well as everyone else who offered me help.

Oso
03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
cool.

my only experience has been with a Title brand boxing timer.

I bought it a few years back when I was trying to teach folks how to sport fight.

It did it's job but was limited as it only did 1,2,3,4 minute rounds and 15,30,45 & 60 second rests. Mostly it allowed me to set the timer for fight time and rest time and I didn't have to worry about watching a clock.

the coaches at the mma place i trained some had some sorta pocket timer...seemed like they were yellow and black. they weren't really loud enough.

glad you found something that worked for ya.:)

Punch.HeadButt
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I bought it a few years back when I was trying to teach folks how to sport fight.

It did it's job but was limited as it only did 1,2,3,4 minute rounds and 15,30,45 & 60 second rests. Mostly it allowed me to set the timer for fight time and rest time and I didn't have to worry about watching a clock.

Was it pricey? I had never seen anything but pro ring timers before...I could never find a simple, affordable timer with the functions I was after. Makes me wonder what those coaches were using, too (unless they were just stopwatches).

Oso
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Was it pricey? I had never seen anything but pro ring timers before...I could never find a simple, affordable timer with the functions I was after. Makes me wonder what those coaches were using, too (unless they were just stopwatches).

it was around $125? and, i have to correct myself...I think my students bought it for me...memory is starting to go... ;)

Darthlawyer
03-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Everlast, the boxing company sells a yellow and black clip on timer that allows you to set 2 or 3 minute rounds with 30 sec or 1 minute rests. It has a moderately loud "bell" or vibrate function. I think I bought mine for like 8 bucks at a ****'s Sporting Goods chain store. I use it for heavy bag workouts and some other exercises.

MasterKiller
03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
The best on the market is Gymboss for $20. Period. You can set it to for whatever intervals/rounds you want. There is also a FREE Gymboss app for the iPhone and Ipad.