PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 Hands/Feet

Daedalus
08-14-2001, 04:14 PM
Within the styles that you guys train in, do you use primarily your hands or your feet? Or is it about equal?

And does this suit you or are you dissatisfied with it?

Within the method of kempo that I train in, we primarily use our hands. Most of our kicking are low fast kicks to the legs and abdomen.

We use the low kicks to set up quick hand techniques, trapping, and grappling moves. If I had to say that this style had a weak link, it would be that it doesn't have much of a game at long kicking range.
However, this has been easily corrected by doing some cross-training in TKD and Kickboxing.

;)

rogue
08-14-2001, 04:51 PM
If you look at our kata it works out to 80% hand techniques and 20% kicks, and it's TKD. Sparring though most people use 60-70% kicks and muchless hands. This may be due to fear of closing.

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Losttrak
08-14-2001, 06:29 PM
I can kick well and I can use my hands well... There have been situations where it was easier to rely on one to beat the attacker than the other. I am prepared both situations. Isnt that how it should be?

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

Robinf
08-14-2001, 08:01 PM
My kung fu is even 50/50. TKD is a bit different.

In forms and self-defense TKD, it appears to be hand heavy--60/40; this includes sparring.

In sport TKD, it's 99.9% feet--a punch once in a while for distancing when you're tired.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Budokan
08-15-2001, 03:07 PM
In my style (shotokan) it's 50/50. This suits me fine; I have no problem stylistically or aesthetically with that breakdown.

K. Mark Hoover

omegapoint
08-16-2001, 04:46 AM
In order to have a strong "root" you're feet have to be on the ground. That's why most combat styles focus on about 70% hands and 30% legs. Kicking in a street fight should be done carefully (all snaps, no thrust kicks) and usually low!!! Later, warriors!!!

Primer
08-16-2001, 08:28 PM
"Sparring though most people use 60-70% kicks and muchless hands. This may be due to fear of closing."

I don't really think that fear of closing is the main reason why TKD exponents don't use their hands much. If you look at the WTF sparring scoring conditions, you'll see that a point is only really awarded when the person is seen to be "moved" by the attackers technique, and since in WTF style sparring no hand contact to your opponennts head is allowed, punches can only be made to the body, and unless you catch your opponent off balance or your really strong, your punch will just be absorbed by the chest armour. So, in wtf style at least, punching is a rarity. If you practice ITF style or others, you will see alot more punches being thrown as you are allowed to punch to the head and there is no chest armour.

-Primer

Robinf
08-16-2001, 09:31 PM
Primer,

That's true about WTF TKD, but only in the Sport, not in the self-defense.

Do you study ITF? Just wondering if they still have the rule in their sport that while punching to the face is allowed, you lose a point if you draw blood.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Primer
08-17-2001, 02:17 AM
Yep, I study both styles. About the blood, I haven't sparred in competitions for awhile now, but I would say that you would still be deducted a point, or at least be made to kneel in the middle of the square lol. ITF sparring is more of a tapping contest, you're only supposed to hit your opponent with enough force to show that the technique has made contact. So if you draw blood you're probably hitting your opponent alot more than you should :). One of the WTF guys that I train with entered an ITF competition once, it was his first one, he broke another guys nose, there was ALOT of blood. That didn't go down well with the umpires ;)

-Primer

rogue
08-17-2001, 03:47 AM
Wow, can't draw blood, even accidently? That's got to make it hard to work.

BTW, In your ITF TKD are you doing the Shotokan forms with the Shotokan names or the Korean ones?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

kennysmith
08-31-2001, 12:35 AM
I've been studying Hwa Rang Do for about 2 years and so far it seems pretty even overall.

I would agree with the fear of closing on an opponent. I believe that most people feel a lack of control when so close to an opponent (I know I do a lot of times), mostly because you don't have as much time to react to a punch. It's one of the things I've been trying to really focus on during our sparring sessions, because I feel I'm weak at it.

Kenny