PDA

View Full Version : has this happened to you?

Robinf
08-15-2001, 03:09 PM
I'm right handed. I'm practicing a break where I dive over a couple of folks and break with both fists (I call it superman). I expect that my right hand will go through no problem and expect my left hand to be sore, as I am right handed.

I went through, BUT I bruised the big knuckle on my right hand and left hand totally fine (I didn't even know I broke with the left, I thought I missed the board). Both holders are strong and have held for me before, so I know it's not them.

What gives? Why is my "good" side hurting? Anyone have this sort of thing happen--hurt the side that's not supposed to hurt while the other side feels nothing?

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Stranger
08-15-2001, 03:25 PM
Just a thought, but maybe you are trying to break so hard with your right hand that you are placing too much tension in the limb, whereas the left hand travels towards the target relaxed because you aren't really trying or expecting it to do much.

Just a guess.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Robinf
08-15-2001, 05:38 PM
That's interesting and more than likely correct. I have to do this in a demo tonight. I need to get my mind off my hand (it's still hurting, but not as badly).

Also, when I land for this one, I pull my right hand down to cushion the landing/roll. It could be, now that I think about it, that I've given it too much to do.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Robin

shaolinboxer
08-16-2001, 05:54 PM
It's similar to losing the strength in a jab because you know the power shot is next.

Sounds like a great challange to work on commitment to techniques and execution before transition.

omegapoint
08-17-2001, 04:39 AM
Diving through the air head first, and breakin' isht? What the fizuck world are you people living in? How would that make you a better Karateka? TKD RULES----your bank account, hahahahaha!!!!

rogue
08-17-2001, 05:29 AM
Robin, what would drive a person to do that? :eek:

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

Robinf
08-19-2001, 02:42 PM
Chill out, idiots. It's just a fun break. Go ahead and try it, it's not as easy as it looks, but it is doable.

Besides, I'm small. In case I ever get thrown out of a room head first I'll be able to break through the window/door without a problem :p

Robin

rogue
08-20-2001, 04:40 AM
My instructor is teaching me to break boards with my head, I'm just starting so I just kneel while he cracks them over my melon.

So fra their haf bin no il effeks.

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
Louis L'Amour

Budokan
08-21-2001, 05:10 PM
ROFLMAO!--

K. Mark Hoover

Robinf
08-21-2001, 05:36 PM
I've actually seen people do head breaks at tournaments. It looks so incredibly stupid.

Robin

rogue
08-22-2001, 05:07 AM
**** ringing,
Will someone answer the phone!!!

Louis L'Amour

Robinf
08-22-2001, 06:27 PM
rogue,

It's for you. It's Mrs. Rogue. She wants you to stop headbutting the garage door and go pick up a quart of milk and loaf of bread.

robin

rogue
08-23-2001, 01:17 AM
Oh, Ok that was a loaf of milk and a quart of bread. yeah dats rite.

Louis L'Amour