PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: The Last Airbender

Wildwoo
08-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Kung Fu Fightin' Anime Stars, Born in the U.S.A.

By MARK LASSWELL
Published: August 28, 2005
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/arts/television/28lass.html

HALF a dozen years ago, the Pokémon craze established that American kids could become besotted with fanciful Japanese action-adventure animation (and the related toys, trading cards and video games). But the most popular children's TV network, Nickelodeon, remained notably cool to the anime genre. While Cartoon Network, Fox Kids and other programmers loaded up on imports like "Dragonball Z" and "Yu-Gi-Oh," Nickelodeon stayed on the sidelines.

?
Then earlier this year, just when the overcrowded genre of animated stories about young heroes battling dark forces seemed played out, the cable network that is home to "SpongeBob SquarePants" finally came out with its own entry, "Avatar: The Last Airbender," and its patience was quickly rewarded. For the first half of 2005, "Avatar" was the most popular show on TV with boys 6-11 years old, and regularly won its 8 p.m. Friday time slot with children 2-11, according to Neilsen Media Research. After a summer of reruns, new "Avatar" episodes begin on Sept. 23.

One thing that stands out about "Avatar" - the story of a 12-year-old boy named Aang who must learn to harness his supernatural powers in order to protect the peace-loving Water, Earth and Air nations against the evil Fire nation - is that it is not Japanese. Nickelodeon calls the cartoon "Asian influenced," but it is the brainchild of Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, American graduates of the Rhode Island School of Design who are both veteran animators of the network series "Family Guy" and "King of the Hill." In 2002, Nickelodeon was in the market for an action-adventure cartoon, having commissioned a few anime-inspired pilots that didn't go anywhere, and rejected a few Japanese series as either too derivative or too mature for the Nick audience. Enter Mr. Konietzko and Mr. DiMartino.

"These two guys were just unbelievably passionate about the story that they had in their heads," said Cyma Zarghami, president of Nickelodeon Television. Indeed, even though Mr. Konietzko, 29, grew up in Atlanta and Louisville, and Mr. DiMartino, 31, is from Vermont, and even though "Family Guy" owes more to "The Simpsons" and "South Park" than to "Yu-Gi-Oh," the two animators seem intoxicated by the opportunity to create what they call an homage to the anime genre.

"We were really into yoga when we started this show, which is probably why we wanted to do something that was Asian influenced," Mr. Konietzko said. Mr. DiMartino is still a yoga devotee - he's working on an "Avatar" story with what he calls yoga's "philosophy and benevolence" as a theme - but Mr. Konietzko turned to kung fu while the two were still devising the "bible" they would use to sell Nickelodeon on the "Avatar" story. "I right away started to look for a teacher that I knew we could sort of groom into a martial arts consultant," said Mr. Konietzko, who ultimately signed up the instructor Sifu Kisu of the Harmonious Fist Chinese Athletic Association in Los Angeles. A kung fu adviser for an animated TV show might seem superfluous, but Mr. DiMartino and Mr. Konietzko wanted to avoid simply mimicking fight moves cribbed from movies and other shows. "Even though people might not consciously know it," Mr. DiMartino said, "I think people recognize when something is authentic." The pair also signed up a Chinese calligrapher, Siu-Leung Lee, who lives in Columbus, Ohio, to render any writing on the show.

The bid for authenticity also led Mr. DiMartino and Mr. Konietzko to visit South Korea, where much of the world's animation is executed, before settling on two companies, JM Animation and DR Movie. Because animation is so time-consuming, with networks always clamoring for new episodes, the Korean studios are often treated as little more than factories. But Mr. DiMartino and Mr. Konietzko said they resolved to give their counterparts in Seoul an unusually free hand.

"We wanted them to have some creative investment in the show," Mr. DiMartino said. The Americans were delighted with the result: A simple storyboard direction that called for a character to faint came back in animated form as a man foaming at the mouth and collapsing. "We loved it," Mr. Konietzko said. "That's the kind of thing we want to encourage."

Frequent touches of humor, like the foaming-mouth man, or the cabbage vendor whose cart gets smashed no matter where he moves it to get it out of harm's way, help "Avatar" draw a sizeable female audience - only about 5 percent below the male numbers, Ms. Zarghami said. (The show also features a strong female character, Katara, a teenager who, along with her brother, Sokka, accompanies Aang on his adventures.) But "Avatar" may also have a broader appeal for the simple reason that it is easier to follow than the typical anime series, which can require deep knowledge of every character's back-story just to sort out who's fighting whom and why.

Nickelodeon initially ordered six "Avatar" episodes, quickly upped the order to 13 after the show's premiere in February, then increased it again to 20. Currently the first 13 episodes are in reruns; seven new installments will show in the fall, completing the first "book" of Mr. DiMartino and Mr. Konietzko's story. The entire tale runs to three books and 60 episodes - which happens to be the number that Nick likes to have in hand before "self-syndicating" a show, running it Monday through Friday to create a habit for its audience. That's the formula that turned "Rugrats," for instance, from a middling success to a phenomenon.

Ms. Zarghami is not ready to declare victory yet ("I think that probably at the two-year mark you know if you have a bona fide hit on your hands," she said), but Nickelodeon is already gearing up to capitalize on the franchise. A trading card game will be released in January, and a video game is in the works. But Sean McGowan, a toy industry analyst at the Harris Nesbitt investment bank, cautions that the glory days of Pokémon's licensing billions are long past. Last year, he said, he counted 30 different trading card games, most of them anime-related. "If there's a new property," he said, "it really needs to have something more than the look of anime, because that's been done."

The early indications are that "Avatar" might indeed have something more. With a second installment of 20 episodes on order for next year, the show's makers are striving to continue their success. They could take heart from one of Mr. Konietzko's kung fu lessons. "Things that don't work, my teacher always says they die on the battlefield," Mr. Konietzko said, laughing. "The ones that work, they walk home."

SPJ
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
cool story.

Yoga, and Kung Fu influenced anmie.

:)

Wildwoo
08-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Changing the world one posture at a time.

Yea, cool!

Wildwoo
12-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Avatar: The Last Airbender (titled Avatar: The Legend Of Aang in UK) is an animated television series airing on Nickelodeon since February 21, 2005. The artwork of the series mimics and is often mistaken for "anime," or Japanese animation, but in reality the show is animated in South Korea and was created by two Americans. Avatar is considered darker and more serious than other Nicktoons, but it does have a sense of humor. Set in a fantastic world of martial arts and elemental magic. The martial arts featured in the show are traditional Chinese kung fu based on movements from Pakua/ Bagua, Tai Chi, Hung Gar, Chu Gar, Hsing Yi and Northern Shaolin . Co-creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino went as far as to study two years with a Northern Shaolin teacher. Sifu Don Hamby of the Hung Gar will be modeled as a Earth Kingdom General second season. Sifu Manuel Rodriguez of the Chu Gar consulted for a special Earth bending style for the new character Tof who also will appear second season. Martial Arts consultant Sifu Kisu pulled out all the stops with amazing “Bendings” and fight scenes! Avatar follows the journeys of Aang, the successor to a long line of Avatars, his friends Katara and Sokka, and Prince Zuko who is attempting to capture Aang. At this point I've only seen a few episodes, but I was drawn in immediately. I usually cringe at anything anime, as there has been an influx of regurgitated garbage from Japan in recent years. However, the production values of Avatar become apparent immediately, from the quality art and animation, to the professional quality voice acting I've come to expect from American studios like Disney and Dreamworks. The show provides a nice combination of action and storytelling, and adds an edge that makes it seem an odd fit for Nickelodeon. Not since Gargoyles have I seen a cartoon that can appeal to viewers across the age spectrum. It has everything I usually turn to anime for, only now without the static characters, hackneyed plots, and awful localizations. I just saw the one hour season finally (YES A DAY EARLY, YEA!!!!) and was completely blown away! I laughed, I cried and I was thrilled to the marrow. If you love martial arts and have not seen this show you are missing out! Great show!!!!!

The show also airs in Canada on the YTV channel at 11:30 am in the Vortex show block. New episodes air Friday nights at 8 pm Eastern Standard Time in Nickelodeon's Friday Night Slimetime block of programming. Due to this, start times may be changed up to 10 minutes, making the actual starting time around 7:50 pm Eastern Standard Time.

The one-hour season one finale is scheduled for December 2nd, and has been described by co-creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino as being "epic for an animation series."

Peace

BentMonk
12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I watch this show with my sons. It is quite cool. :D

KungFuFuGirl
12-02-2005, 01:24 PM
http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/display_show.jhtml?show_id=ava

I just checked it out and it looks pretty cool! Only problem is the season finale is this week! A little late to start tuning in---but there is good news: nick is running a marathon of all the shows on dec 28!!!! Set the VCR and catch up!

go to the website and find out for yourself!!

btw--i usually hate anime and cartoons in general, but i saw some of the clips on the website and i must admit--i am impressed so far!:p

ZhuiQuan
12-04-2005, 02:01 PM
My nephews told me about that show. They swore I'd really like it. I saw a couple of episodes and thought it was cool, but I never catch it on TV. It's really that good huh?

Wildwoo
12-06-2005, 11:55 PM
I love it man! I never liked anime since I was in my teens but now I am hooked on this show. My sifu has the entire collection on DVD so the other night we watch them one through twenty and man they are really tight. The art is amazing and they pulled the gung fu off really well.
Hooked I tell you and i just found out the new episodes for second season (book two) won't air until April!!!!!!
What am I gonna do?!?!?!?!?!?

zippo_88
06-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I am a huge fan of this show and I've read that some of you are as well. I think it's such a great, light hearted show at times but also has such an insightful message and theme. Anyway I was wondering if anyone here knows when it's going to start showing on TV again.

Thank You.

NJM
06-03-2007, 03:10 PM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34904&highlight=Avatar

;)

Ask lok, I bet he knows.

SPJ
06-04-2007, 04:05 AM
yes. I like them, too.

let see. I have dvd's of book one 5 vol. and book two vol 1 and 2.

--

:D

SPJ
06-04-2007, 04:10 AM
http://www.tv.com/avatar-the-last-airbender/show/28841/summary.html

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=owner%3Amtvn+avatar&so=1

http://video.aol.com/video-category/avatar/1828?sem=1&ncid=AOLVID00170000000006

:)

zippo_88
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
It will be much later this year (I won't say the date) but I have seen the first 4 episodes which were great and they are sending me the 5th one today so I am sure it will be back on at some point.:cool:

Oh ok well atleast it'll be back on this year, I understand you can't say the date but is there any reason you can fill us in on why it's taking so long for the 3rd season to start?

NJM
06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh ok well atleast it'll be back on this year, I understand you can't say the date but is there any reason you can fill us in on why it's taking so long for the 3rd season to start?

I believe that the technical term used in the biz is a "lull." :P

NJM
06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
What is ATLAB?

zippo_88
06-04-2007, 05:20 PM
They are finishing the series so that they can be presented all one after the other with no "lull" I think. Do me a favor and dont run over to one of the ATLAB forums like Moses from the mount with a "LOKHOPKUEN SAID" report please.

Messenger just showed up with episode 5 so I'm gonna go watcha it.

Never try to teach a pig to whistle. It annoys the pig and frustrates you.- Robert A. Heinlein

Oh ok thanks. And no worries, I don't even know what an ATLAB forum is, to be honest I'm only part of two other forums and only one has to do with TV and it's not about Avatar so don't worry. I hope you enjoy the episodes. Thanks again for the information. I'm looking forward to the show starting again.

NJM
06-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Oh, I thought it was http://www.atlab.com/

and thought, wow! I had no idea that an animated show required such advanced tech.

Sicilian Tofu M
08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Anybody see Book 3 trailer on www.avatarspirit.net?

doug maverick
08-28-2007, 08:34 PM
i just watched the last two seasons on dvd i can't wait for part three they got ang looking like a real shaolin monk.

Sicilian Tofu M
08-31-2007, 07:51 AM
One thing I saw was ang's glider was blue (he must of made a new one). I hope the show does not get to dark(my boy 4 ) with the war.

doug maverick
08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
its disney so you know it can't get too dark. that being said i hope it does a little darker, cause american cartoons went to crap after 9-11. verything is too inocent like we're trying to hide something from our kids. while i do understand shielding thm from some things, but war is something you learn about in the first grade even before that. you learn about war when you get your first 99 cent back of army men.anyway this season looks really good and chock full of magical kung fu. question anyone else think that fire should've been xing yi instead of just northern shaolin. it has all the charcteristics of xing yi just the movements. anyway just a thought.

Zenshiite
08-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Season 3 looks tasty!

I just love that kids have a vegetarian Ba Gua hero in this show. Pretty awesome.

NJM
08-31-2007, 06:42 PM
its disney so you know it can't get too dark.

I don't think it's Disney.

BlueTravesty
08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
my second favorite martial-arts related animated series (my first being History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi.) And no, it's not Disney. Otherwise, it would be shown on the Disney channel, instead of Nickolodeon.

doug maverick
08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
thats right i forgot well nic is pretty much the same thing kid oriented t.v. programs. and yes blue kenichi is also my favorite martial arts based animation. there up to 45 now

BlueTravesty
09-01-2007, 05:10 AM
thats right i forgot well nic is pretty much the same thing kid oriented t.v. programs. and yes blue kenichi is also my favorite martial arts based animation. there up to 45 now

Yeah, Nick and Disney's programming types are so similar these days they might as well be the same thing. As for a darker tone in Avatar, I think I'm with you- I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more, but at the same time I think it's a pretty good show as it is. In addition, that's just my perspective as an "wiser" adult (note the quotation) marks. If something that cool was around when I was a kid, I'd probably think differently.

But you gotta wonder, is the Fire nation REALLY the only one with blood on their hands?

Sicilian Tofu M
09-01-2007, 07:21 AM
I would be cool to have a couple of shows explaining how the war realy started, but in the end the avatar has to have kids to produce air benders so the cycle will not be destroyed(all airbenders produce airbenders) Or the avatar finds out his people were not all wiped out.

I didn't mean War is too dark for kids I just hate to see a sword sticken out of a dead body, when toph said He's lying(speaking of jet lying about saying he'll be all right don't stop go on, when he knows he dieing). My son asked me "what did she mean dad? hay it was hard he's 4 he might of well said "whats sex?" its Nic it shouldn't be to dark, but I think their doing a good job rideing the fense.

NJM
09-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I just hate to see a sword sticken out of a dead body.

So I take it you didn't enjoy 300 or Killbill?

doug maverick
09-01-2007, 10:39 AM
i think he's talking about for his kid not for him. and hey i didn;t even enjoy 300(boring) but thats another topic

Sicilian Tofu M
09-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes I like them both, but I like 300 more than Killbill.

I hope the king of Omashu makes it into season 3.

NJM
09-02-2007, 12:13 PM
My son asked me "what did she mean dad? hay it was hard he's 4 he might of well said "whats sex?".

So they for sure killed off a character? Or was it a "we left him behind a wall of rubble" situation?

doug maverick
09-02-2007, 04:42 PM
nah he's dead but you know they not going to show that on a kids show. i mean what is this batman the animated series, G.I. Joe transformers. or any of the other great cartoon i grew up wtih no.

NJM
09-02-2007, 04:45 PM
nah he's dead but you know they not going to show that on a kids show. i mean what is this batman the animated series, G.I. Joe transformers. or any of the other great cartoon i grew up wtih no.

Watch that character come back in a later episode. Just watch it happen. :P

doug maverick
09-02-2007, 06:59 PM
that might happen i mean it is a show about magic and stuff so thats totally feesable. it would suck thou cause i hated that character

Sicilian Tofu M
09-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I hope he not dead but, it was a go on with out me i'm fine, my freedom fighters will watch over me speach(two people) so they left through the only exit(that thay shown) Toph(a little blind earth bender/ lie detector)with a tear in her eye said He was lieing as they ran off.one thay got out the tai lee were close behind.

Did the tai lee go through the freedom fighter on the way out?

Did Jet survive his injuries even tho he didn't think he would?

will we ever see Jet use his hook swords again?

Tune in, on whenever thay air Book 3...Same Avatar time...Same Avatar station.
lol my wife thinks I'm ate up on this show.

Sicilian Tofu M
09-22-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1187037z7yzCaZQ

doug maverick
09-22-2007, 01:34 PM
that was a good sdeason premier i liked watching it last night and am hyped to see what the rest of the season holds.

Zenshiite
09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
that was a good sdeason premier i liked watching it last night and am hyped to see what the rest of the season holds.

Yep, great stuff. Watched today at noon. This is going to be significantly darker in tone for sure.

Here's what I'm wondering. Initially I figured this would be the last we'd see of Avatar, but now I'm thinking "wait a minute, they've only covered 3 elements in terms of seasons as books. Will we get a book 4: Air?"

I'd like to see the kid find some more airbenders and rebuild the Air Nomads.

doug maverick
09-22-2007, 09:53 PM
i'd like to see the air nomads try and destroy the avatar. for being the cause of the extinction of the air nomads

Zenshiite
09-23-2007, 09:38 AM
i'd like to see the air nomads try and destroy the avatar. for being the cause of the extinction of the air nomads

Haha, for some reason I don't think a bunch of vegetarian, Ba Gua practicing Shaolin monks are going to be holding too many grudges. I find it unlikely that the Fire Nation could have killed all the Air Nomads. There's got to be some men and women around.

Of course, we don't know much about the Air Nomads. For instance, they can't all be monks. Presumably on the benders are monks... which suggests to me that the ability to bend isn't particularly genetic or they'd have stopped existing with monks being supposedly celibate and all male. So, are there air nuns too? And there must be enslaved masses of Air Nomads that aren't bender monks somewhere in the regions the Air Nomads wandered OR in Fire Nation prisons.

It's weird being in my late 20s and thinking this much about a show for 7-10 year olds. My kids only 1 and a half, he's not even remotely interested! Haha.

NJM
09-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Of course, we don't know much about the Air Nomads. For instance, they can't all be monks. Presumably on the benders are monks... which suggests to me that the ability to bend isn't particularly genetic or they'd have stopped existing with monks being supposedly celibate and all male. So, are there air nuns too? And there must be enslaved masses of Air Nomads that aren't bender monks somewhere in the regions the Air Nomads wandered OR in Fire Nation prisons.

Re-incarnation.

doug maverick
09-23-2007, 11:49 AM
why is it so hard to believe have you seen kung fu movies its all about monks taking revenge. ang could bak mei to them

Zenshiite
09-23-2007, 02:19 PM
If it were a kung fu movie the case might be different, this is a kid's show. They're going to embrace him when he shows up.

NJM, re-incarnation would still require someone to be born. What're they going to do? Just pop up in the temples one day?

doug maverick
09-23-2007, 04:06 PM
cause then there be no point in a season 4. ang hunted by the surviving air nomads would be awesome

Zenshiite
09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
cause then there be no point in a season 4. ang hunted by the surviving air nomads would be awesome

Okay, maybe there would be a faction of them being all like "you abandoned us" and what not. I'd like to see it more as a prologue though. With the kids a little bit older. It would be interesting to see... but you're right, it might not be doable. Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

doug maverick
09-23-2007, 07:36 PM
i'm just saying that makes good tv. think about the cartoons we grew up with. G.I. joe Transformers, batman. they got deep and dark sometimes.

BlueTravesty
09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Man, I can't wait to see that episode :( sucks not having cable.

doug maverick
09-23-2007, 10:40 PM
go right here (http://theavatarportal.com/) if not just do what we all will do and by season three when it comes out on dvd

Sicilian Tofu M
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Haha, for some reason I don't think a bunch of vegetarian, Ba Gua practicing Shaolin monks are going to be holding too many grudges. I find it unlikely that the Fire Nation could have killed all the Air Nomads. There's got to be some men and women around.

It's weird being in my late 20s and thinking this much about a show for 7-10 year olds. My kids only 1 and a half, he's not even remotely interested! Haha.

I looked at a avatar book at walmart that explained each nation\style\culture one book per nation, anyway all air nomads are airbenders that's why their the smallest group. so if ang has kids they would be air benders.

Zenshiite
09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I looked at a avatar book at walmart that explained each nation\style\culture one book per nation, anyway all air nomads are airbenders that's why their the smallest group. so if ang has kids they would be air benders.

I can vibe with that, but I'm just wondering how they even reproduce considering we've seen no female airbenders and the dudes are monks...

Gosh this is nerdy.

Sicilian Tofu M
09-24-2007, 09:21 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mfVL8wUig84
it's not realy the cartoon but it's from Nik, The woman is the last (re-incarnation)air bender before ang

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcnVBO2LCg
watch it untill you see ang meeting appa for the first time the old lady with the apples is a air bender(it's in book2 vol4 "Appa's lost days")

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5088360
this is the book I looked through

I'm a nerd it's ok, because I got a hot wife+2 boys life is good.

Zenshiite
09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mfVL8wUig84
it's not realy the cartoon but it's from Nik, The woman is the last (re-incarnation)air bender before ang

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcnVBO2LCg
watch it untill you see ang meeting appa for the first time the old lady with the apples is a air bender(it's in book2 vol4 "Appa's lost days")

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5088360
this is the book I looked through

I'm a nerd it's ok, because I got a hot wife+2 boys life is good.

Ah, cool. That first video is something I was looking for. Aang's trip through the spirit world before season 3. However, one thing, Avatar Yangcheng is just the last "re-incarnation" of the Avatar spirit, she wasn't born by way of re-incarnated miracle birth. I'll check out the second vid for the Air bender old lady though.

Upon further review, I suggest watching the Avatar Escape Kuruk(Waterbender Avatar before the Earthbender Avatar Kyoshi). It has a shot of him showing off his airbending skills to airbender girls. Think Aang with long girly brown hair.

Sicilian Tofu M
09-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Avatar Yangcheng was the avatar, just like ang is now but in the past, born from a woman and man(birds and the bees) the re-incarnation means their diffrent verisons of the same spirit born over and over again or I'm wrong if I am explain it to me.

Zenshiite
09-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Avatar Yangcheng was the avatar, just like ang is now but in the past, born from a woman and man(birds and the bees) the re-incarnation means their diffrent verisons of the same spirit born over and over again or I'm wrong if I am explain it to me.

Yeah. I think I misunderstood you somewhere along the lines when we are discussing Air Nomad reproduction. You said "re-incarnation" and I though you were referring to them just appearing or something. Stupid, I know.

See the new episode? Good stuff. Zuko talkes to Uncle Iroh, and Iroh doesn't speak. I'm worried they are going to give him the axe because Mako died and they can't find a good enough voice actor to pull it off.

I loved Iroh so much, always talking about tea! He's me!

Sicilian Tofu M
09-28-2007, 07:26 PM
man I don't have nik,and haven't found it, if you find it on the net post a link for me. Iroh's the man I bet he'll teach ang fire bending.

Zenshiite
09-29-2007, 07:40 PM
man I don't have nik,and haven't found it, if you find it on the net post a link for me. Iroh's the man I bet he'll teach ang fire bending.

Check out www.theavatarportal.com They usually post the latest episodes on putfile. It was linked by doug maverick on the last page.

PS. Thanks for that doug!

doug maverick
09-29-2007, 09:48 PM
just watcheds the latest ep. it was really good. it had some rou shou(bagua push hands) on it and it also showed that the fire nation has te bak mei hand salute. with theopen hand on top of the palm

jethro
09-30-2007, 12:22 AM
IS that the style that Jack Long (the old guy) and Lee I Min (the student) use in 7 Grandmasters?

Zenshiite
10-02-2007, 03:28 PM
just watcheds the latest ep. it was really good. it had some rou shou(bagua push hands) on it and it also showed that the fire nation has te bak mei hand salute. with theopen hand on top of the palm

That rou shou bit was AWESOME. So was the part where Aang was evading that bully. Anji's boyfriend.

Zenshiite
11-03-2007, 09:41 AM
episode 7 was good, but episode 8 was awesome not to give to much away but katara learn how to pull water from everything, even air. ep nine was kinda of a let down.

All I can say is I'm sure the waterbending in episode 8 would have been used for some crazy stuff in a wuxia/horror type flick. Much more than what it was used for in this show...

doug maverick
11-05-2007, 08:47 AM
yeah i know this would've been cool in a kung fu horror film or in a tsui hark flick. hey does anybody know where to get 10 i can't find it yet

Sicilian Tofu M
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
chapter 10 is'nt out yet, don't know about the UK everybody(diferent sites) acts like anyminute now,but theirs sourses that say late nov..Its a slow death

www.watch-avatar.com

doug maverick
11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
late nov. in the uk how is that possible if they already came out with 1-9 **** they let it go into reruns that fast.

Sicilian Tofu M
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Its got to do with the rateings in the USA, thay droped when people stoped watching nic, because the net had newer ep from the UK. Who wants to watch new reruns? it makes sense. Anybody feel guilty? I do.

doug maverick
11-06-2007, 12:02 AM
maybe but its nics fault for putting the eps out way earlier in the uk. with the net and everything i mean thats just a stupid idea, they pay guys hundreds of thousands of dollars to for see things just like this, i mean come on.

besides i still watch it when it comes on nic here in the us. its just like i went to the movies to see american gangster then i downloaded it cause brian grazer and ridley scott got my 22 bucks. well nic got my rating, so i'm good and clear.

Zenshiite
11-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I watched Chapther 7 last week, I'll keep watching regardless of me downloading the available episodes online. Looks good on my flat screen monitor, looks good on my 27 in TV old schooler.

doug maverick
11-06-2007, 06:40 PM
i do that just so they won't cancel it. people forget that and then grip when there favorite show is cancelled and i'm like well if you wouldn;t have downloaded it and forgot about the when its on the tube maybe they wouldn;t have cancelled it.

now if you'll excuse me i got to go download that episode of boondocks i missed yesterday.

Sicilian Tofu M
11-11-2007, 02:39 PM
chapter 10 & 11 is on www.watch-avatar.com

Zenshiite
11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Nice.

Boondocks is AWESOME.

What episode you miss doug? The Story of Thugnificent? It's great.

doug maverick
11-11-2007, 05:51 PM
yeah i missed it but i've seen it a few times now ****ing amazing i was laughing my head off at the granddad this record, and snoop dog and busta ryhmes were funny, another good ep.

Zenshiite
11-12-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah i missed it but i've seen it a few times now ****ing amazing i was laughing my head off at the granddad this record, and snoop dog and busta ryhmes were funny, another good ep.

That show never disappoints. Ever.

My favorite part is where Huey walks into Thugnificent's house and sees the painting of him with MLK, Mandela, Malcolm X and others I can't remember off the top of my head and is just exasperated.

The only other show on Adult Swim I'm continuously happy with is Metalocalypse.

I think I'm going to need to download the 10th and 11th chapters of Avatar tonight.

doug maverick
11-12-2007, 06:27 PM
10 and 11 is awesome

Zenshiite
11-15-2007, 05:13 PM
10 and 11 is awesome

Just watched 'em. Wow. Great. Especially Zuko.

GeneChing
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
If you're wondering why the last post here was in 2007, it's because I split this into another thread to distinguish the original cartoon from the film: M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1080615)

With Avatar: Legend of Korra (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57479) scheduled for later this year, the original is gathering attention again.

Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Lost Adventures (http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/18-849/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-The-Lost-Adventures)

http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/300/18/18849.jpg
For three years, millions of eager fans tuned in to watch new episodes of Nickelodeon’s hit animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Ever since, fans have been hungry for more—and now their wait is finally over!

This volume collects the long-out-of-print, fan-favorite comics previously published in Nickelodeon Magazine and with the Airbender DVDs, plus over seventy brand-new comics pages. That’s twenty-six stories set in Airbender continuity, by a host of top-notch talent, many of whom worked on the original animated series!

* A must-have for any Airbender fan!

* Twenty-six in-continuity stories, plus bonus content!

* The latest release in an ongoing partnership between Nickelodeon and Dark Horse, to bring you the very best in Airbender books!
TFAW Logo Pre-Order Avatar: The Last Airbender—The Lost Adventures Now @ TFAW.com
Creators

Writer:
Aaron Ehasz, Josh Hamilton, Tim Hedrick, Dave Roman, J. Torres
Artist:
Joaquim Dos Santos, Elsa Garagarza, Gurihiru, Corey Lewis, Johane Matte, Ethan Spaulding and others

Genre: Humor, Action/Adventure

Publication Date:
July 13, 2011
Format:
Fc, 240 pages, 6" x 9"
Price:
$14.99
Age range:
8+
ISBN-10:
1-59582-748-X
ISBN-13:
978-1-59582-748-7

Zenshiite
04-14-2011, 03:19 PM
If you're wondering why the last post here was in 2007, it's because I split this into another thread to distinguish the original cartoon from the film: M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1080615)

With Avatar: Legend of Korra (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57479) scheduled for later this year, the original is gathering attention again.

Having just finished a re-viewing of the entire series with my now 5 year old son... I can say we will definitely be getting this product.

Can't wait for Korra.

Wildwoo
05-10-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.megavideo.com/?d=Q45QTXQ4

Wildwoo
05-28-2011, 08:02 AM
http://kurtmattila.com/avatar-spirits/

SanHeChuan
05-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Cool. :cool:

GeneChing
08-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Adam WarRock "Yip Yip" [Avatar: The Last Airbender] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYTj6DkuuCU&feature=youtu.be)

GeneChing
07-23-2018, 07:53 AM
From the head writer and director of Avatar: The Last Airbender (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?59874-Avatar-The-Last-Airbender) - Dragon Prince (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70873-Dragon-Prince) on Netflix.

In the wake of SDCC2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZ6tPMeeP8

GeneChing
09-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Avatar: The Last Airbender Is Being Reborn as a Live-Action Netflix Series (https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=io9_facebook)
Charles Pulliam-Moore
Today 11:46am

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--arAIO2bK--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/cq4itwainqooafa9tvlq.jpg
Concept art fro the Avatar reboot.
Image: Netflix

Hot on the heels of Netflix’s The Dragon Prince, from Avatar: The Last Airbender head writer Aaron Ehasz, the studio has just stealthily announced that Avatar is coming back in an all-new, live-action series.

Along with the first piece of concept art from the upcoming reboot, Netflix announced that The Last Airbender’s co-creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are both signed on to oversee the show, something they’ve been planning on for ages.

In a public statement, DiMartino and Konietzko expressed their excitement about the upcoming show and made a point of stating that this incarnation of the Aang’s story will star characters of color, unlike M. Night Shyamalan’s much-maligned 2010 The Last Airbender:

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

NX

Verified account

@NXOnNetflix (https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1042073748562563072)
Follow Follow @NXOnNetflix
More NX Retweeted See What's Next
AND I can confirm that the original creators, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, will be back to take on the live action. THIS IS WHAT WE’VE BEEN TRAINING FOR ALL THESE YEARS.NX added,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnYvumLUUAA-bDq.jpg
See What's Next

Verified account

@seewhatsnext (https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1042073279895224332)
Follow Follow @seewhatsnext
More
A reimagined, live-action “Avatar: The Last Airbender” series is coming to Netflix!

(ᴄᴏɴᴄᴇᴘᴛ ᴀʀᴛ ʙʏ Jᴏʜɴ Sᴛᴀᴜʙ)

8:30 AM - 18 Sep 2018

It’s been a while since we last caught up with Aang and the Avatar crew, but from the sounds of it, it won’t be too long before we’re all “yip-yipping” our ways into another unforgettable adventure.

I actually checked out the first ep of Dragon Prince (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70873-Dragon-Prince) last night. Maybe I'll review that later.

GeneChing
01-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Avatar: The Last Airbender Live Action from Netflix (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71148-Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-Live-Action-from-Netflix) needs its own indie thread, independent of our original Avatar: The Last Airbender (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?59874-Avatar-The-Last-Airbender) thread and definitely distinct from our M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?46683-M-Night-Shyamalan-s-The-Last-Airbender) thread.

https://thebrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/The-Last-Airbender-Movie-Poster-600x300.jpg

Netflix’s Avatar: The Last Airbender does what Shyamalan couldn’t (https://thebrag.com/netflixs-avatar-the-last-airbender-does-what-shyamalan-couldnt/)
Written by Erin Dick on Dec 11, 2018

Few children’s television programs boast the complexity of Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Airbender (2005). With the new live action series adaptation set to hit Netflix in 2019, it hurts to think how hard the first attempt at a real-life remake failed.

The 2010 M. Night Shyamalan live action film was a theatrical and political disaster. Gut-churning CGI shots aside, the real problem with this remake was a lack of authenticity.

The intricate world built by the animated series is lost in Shyamalan’s miscast venture. He bumbles through a poorly condensed plot, dismissing the discourses laid out by its animated predecessor.

Racial stereotypes are thoughtlessly emphasised, where a young Dev Patel plays the villain in Fire Nation Prince Zuko, and our protagonists are unnecessarily white. They might be Eskimos from the Water Tribe, but, their colour is the least significant aspect of their identity as characters and as products of a bigger conversation of global, communal and individual harmony.

The 2010 M. Night Shyamalan live action film was a theatrical and political disaster.

Watch the announce for Avatar: The Last Airbender below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=X6zjJXvltj4

The original TV series

The original series follows an air bender named Aang (voiced by Zach Tyler Eisen), who discovers that he is the next Avatar, the earthly guardian of humankind. Fearing the responsibility of his demi-God status, Aang flees his home in the Air Kingdom.

As a deadly storm hits, he is forced to preserve himself in the depths of the ocean. 100 years passes before he is discovered in an iceberg by two young members of the Southern Water Tribe: a water-bender named Katara (Mae Whitman) and her brother Sokka (Jack DeSena).

Aang wakes to learn that the world has been engulfed in war, led by the Fire Nation. Aang must master all four elements – air, water, earth and fire – to defeat the Fire Lord, end the 100-year war and restore peace and balance to civilisation.

https://thebrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-600x338.jpg
Avatar: The Last Airbender the original series

In a pre-colonial Asiatic setting, the Avatar exists to maintain harmony in society. Only they can master all four elements. This becomes essential when Aang must conquer Fire Lord Ozai (Mark Hamill): His father, Fire Lord Sozin, initiated the war and conducted the extermination of the earth’s Air Nomads.

Aang, who is only 12 years old, must come to terms with the extinction of his people. He must halt the Fire Lord’s plan to achieve world domination and elevation of a Fire Nation master race.

It’s a lot for a young audience to digest
Yet, these themes are communicated with elegance and integrity. Explorations of globalisation, authoritarianism and revolution, coincide with Aang’s philosophical realisations of morality, human connection and destiny.

Avatar takes heed of morality tropes in both Western genre and east-Asian animation and cinema. Aang’s destiny to save the world foils his youthful disposition, ultimately forcing him to mature. Zuko (Dante Basco) is the banished prince of the Fire Nation and son of Fire Lord Ozai.

His driving force is a chance at redemption, capturing the Avatar and delivering him to his father. Zuko endures suffering, before learning the dangers of greed and anger. Aang grapples with his fate, as he considers whether he is capable of murder for the greater good. With the tutelage of mentors, from the living and spirit worlds, Aang and Zuko’s juxtaposed paths lead to restored honour for them both.

Avatar takes heed of morality tropes in both Western genre and east-Asian animation and cinema.

https://thebrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Dev-Patel-plays-the-villain-in-Fire-Nation-Prince-Zuko-452x600.jpg
Dev Patel as Fire Nation Prince Zuko

The cultural consultants that guided the art direction

Few western cartoons have adapted anime-style storytelling and characterisation, as well as imagery and symbolism as genuinely as the TV series.

While the creators of the series were interested in western legends and modern epics like Harry Potter (2001-2011) and Lord of the Rings (2001-2003), they were ultimately inspired by Chinese art and religion, east-Asian history and mythology.

They brought on cultural consultants in Edwin Zane and calligrapher Siu-Leung Lee to help guide the art direction and world building of the series. Set designs deviate slightly from the landscapes that inspire them, so as not enforce racial stereotyping.

The indicators of each elemental faction are represented in authentic Chinese characters, except for the Fire Nation symbol, which was adapted to prevent cultural fear-mongering. Aang’s plight to learn all four elements comes with knowledge and tales of mythological Sun Gods, hybrid animals, fire bending dragons, spiritual encounters, and the ways of nature. Aang’s mission allows him to understand that the contrasting elements of the world cannot thrive without each other.

Avatar invites its young audience to consider what really matters in life. In the words of Iroh himself: “Who are you? What do you want?”

Many of Aang’s key allies, a collaboration of lay people and exiled royalty, are affected by some form of ailment exacerbated by the imperialistic war, ranging from poverty, systematic sexism, disability to emotional instability.

Toph is blind but can earth bend by feeling the vibrations of the earth. Katara will not be limited by misogyny in her efforts to master the art of water bending. Zuko overcomes his fury and takes on the wisdom of his uncle Iroh (Mako Iwamatsu and Greg Baldwin), who has believed in his good nature all along. Sokka cannot bend, so he looks to his father and the expertise of a swordsman to become a purposeful leader.

Our five key characters are all young children, seeking spiritual and intellectual nourishment from their elders and revolting against their oppressors. Avatar invites its young audience to consider what really matters in life. In the words of Iroh himself: “Who are you? What do you want?”

Avatar: The Last Airbender goes above and beyond any western animation of the early 21st Century
The series reaches new heights to create a lasting impression on its young viewers. It instills a level of cultural sensibility and hope that young people are not trapped by their physical, emotional or societal circumstances.

It tells us that fate is not set in stone, and that good can prevail over evil. We can overcome tragedy and injustice to write our own destinies. This motive and audience are at the heart of Avatar’s validity, and will be the deciding factor of success in future remakes to come.

GeneChing
03-01-2021, 03:36 PM
‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Franchise To Expand With Launch Of Nickelodeon’s Avatar Studios, Animated Theatrical Film In The Works (https://deadline.com/2021/02/avatar-the-last-airbender-franchise-expansion-launch-nickelodeons-avatar-studios-animated-theatrical-film-1234699594/)
By Peter White
Television Editor
@peterzwhite

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-Legend-Of-Aang-Nickelodeon-Nick-ATLA-ATLOA.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

The Avatar: The Last Airbender franchise is set to get even bigger.

Nickelodeon is launching Avatar Studios, a division designed to create original content spanning animated series and movies based on the franchise’s world.

The original creators and executive producers Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko will run the studio as co-chief creative officers, reporting to Ramsey Naito, President, Nickelodeon Animation.

Avatar Studios will produce content for platforms including Paramount+ and Nickelodeon as well as third-party platforms and theatrical releases.

The first project is an animated theatrical film that is set to start production later this year.

Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Airbender, which follows the adventures of the main protagonist Aang and his friends, who must save the world by defeating Fire Lord Ozai and ending the destructive war with the Fire Nation, aired for three seasons between 2005 and 2008.

It was followed by The Legend of Korra, which launched on Nickelodeon in 2012 and ran for four seasons.

The property has subsequently been translated into a ongoing graphic novel series written by TV series co-creator DiMartino, a live-action feature film starring Dev Patel and directed by M. Night Shyamalan and Netflix is making a live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender series, albeit without the involvement of Dante DiMartino and Konietzko.

“Avatar: The Last Airbender and Korra have grown at least ten-fold in popularity since their original hit runs on Nickelodeon, and Ramsey Naito and I are incredibly excited to have Mike and Bryan’s genius talent on board to helm a studio devoted to expanding their characters and world into new content and formats for fans everywhere,” said Brian Robbins, President, ViacomCBS Kids & Family.

“Creator-driven stories and characters have long been the hallmarks of Nickelodeon, and Avatar Studios is a way to give Mike and Bryan the resources and runway to open up their imaginations even more and dive deeper into the action and mythology of Avatar as we simultaneously expand upon that world and the world of content available on Paramount+ and Nickelodeon,” he added. This sounds promising.

GeneChing
06-16-2022, 09:13 AM
Avatar: The Last Airbender Is Getting Three New Animated Films (https://kotaku.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-nickelodeon-aang-katara-zuko-1849066817)
Series creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino will produce the films
ByIsaiah Colbert
Yesterday 3:20PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/a8495854bb1cabf120f86192b5098739.jpg
Screenshot: Nickelodeon / Kotaku
Today Nickelodeon and Paramount Pictures announced that a trilogy of Avatar: The Last Airbender animated films are in development during the Annecy International Animation Film Festival.

According to Deadline, series creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino will be returning to produce the trilogy with Avatar Studios, Nickelodeon’s film studio that launched in February of last year. The studio aims to expand the franchise through these films and a new TV series in the World of Avatar.The first film will be directed by Lauren Montgomery, the storyboard artist of the series’ final season and director of Voltron: Legendary Defender, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated and Young Justice.

“As original creators Mike and Bryan expand the Avatar universe with us, we’re keeping it all in the family with Lauren bringing the same kind of expert, beautiful work she did on the original series to her new directing duties on the forthcoming theatrical,” Ramsey Naito, President of Animation & Development at Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon Animations told Deadline.

Avatar follows Aang, a mystical child with the ability to control the world’s four elements: water, earth, fire, and air. After waking up from a 100-year slumber, Aang must restore balance to the war-torn world by defeating the Fire Nation evil ruler. The series originally aired on Nickelodeon back in 2005 and ran for three seasons before concluding in 2008.

Since its finale, Avatar’s greater story continued for four seasons with a 2012 sequel series, The Legend of Korra, as well as a score of comic books and prequel novels. Outside of the upcoming Netflix live-action series (of which the films will have nothing to do with) the series received a 2010 live-action film “adaptation” directed by M. Night Shyamalan, but everyone collectively ignores that one.

All in. I'm behind on the comics...

GeneChing
12-27-2022, 09:34 AM
https://64.media.tumblr.com/753387f9218cd4c3562ca3d2c3169360/55ff0347c5860b58-f9/s1280x1920/c77f617c7a0e57c9e195c9448edea45449f61711.jpg

Exclusive: The next Avatar animated series, featuring the earth Avatar after Aang & Korra, is coming in 2025 from Paramount and Avatar Studios (https://avatarnews.co/post/704388959323717632/exclusive-the-next-avatar-animated-series)

We have a ***HUGE*** Avatar News exclusive for you today.

It’s happening.

Avatar Studios is working on the next Avatar after Aang and Korra. An original animated streaming series set in the future after The Legend of Korra, following the next earth Avatar in the cycle, is coming to Paramount+ in 2025.

But there’s more. An animated movie featuring this Avatar and their era is coming to theaters in the years after the show comes out. (I can’t reveal more specific dates yet, but it won’t be an insanely long wait.)

Currently we don’t know how far in the future this Avatar’s era will be set, but a very rough approximation based on previous Avatars is that if it’s set ~100 years after Korra’s time, it will be in the Avatar world’s equivalent of our world’s present day.

2025 is going to be a HUGE launch year for Avatar Studios’ animated universe, with the adult Aang movie coming to theaters on October 10th, 2025, as well as this new series streaming in the same year. This isn’t a mistake on my part, they’re intentionally releasing both in the same year– part of a much bigger plan. Currently it’s implied that the movie is Avatar Studios’ first project of any kind, which would imply that this series would come out after that, at the very end of the year, likely in November or December 2025. There could, of course, be delays, but they’re absolutely working on multiple projects in parallel right now.

This is the second Avatar original streaming series coming soon, with the live-action young Aang series premiering next year in 2023. Season 2 of live-action ATLA can be estimated for two years later in 2025 as well, joining the adult Gaang animated movie and next earth Avatar animated series to form the biggest year of Avatar EVER.

More news tomorrow.

(Note that the above artwork is an Avatar News mockup for illustrative purposes only, it’s not official and we have no idea what the next Avatar will look like yet.)

Avatar-The-Last-Airbender (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?59874-Avatar-The-Last-Airbender)
The-Legend-Of-Korra (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57479-The-Legend-Of-Korra)