PDA

View Full Version : Broad Swords

don bohrer
08-21-2001, 07:36 AM
I am considering purchasing a broad sword for kata but notice they come in combat or spring steel. What should I consider when purchasing a one of these weapons? I have seen paper thin swords in tournaments but want to stay away from those.

Silumkid
08-21-2001, 11:43 PM
The paper-thin one you refer to is probably the wushu steel version....thin so that when you do a thrusting move it gives that great "snap" noise for effect.

I guess I'd need more info on what you want in regards to performance of the sword. Generally, spring steel is between wushu and combat, has some bend and some strength. Combat is heavy, rigid...no bend at all.

Amitabha!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

don bohrer
08-24-2001, 09:45 PM
I have read many several articles suggesting that broad sword technique should be tiger like. While learning american kenpo's broadsword kata I will keep this in mind. However for those that practice can you offer more advice to help learn the sword as it should be. Perhaps even clarify the personality of the sword even more for me.

joedoe
08-26-2001, 07:48 AM
Are you ordering online? My advice is to go and personally pick the sword yourself. You won't know if it is right for you until you hold the sword and feel its balance.

Can your teacher give you any advice on this?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Silumkid
08-26-2001, 06:27 PM
Don,

Very generally speaking, the broadsword is considered the 'baseball bat' of swords. The straight sword requires more finesse as it tends to be thinner and as such, is less receptive to directly blocking.

By tiger like, if you mean you can use the sword with more ferocity, then I would say yes, this is a fair analogy.

Amitabha!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!