PDA

View Full Version : Low-flow toilets cause stink in San Francisco

BJJ-Blue
03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
"The city of San Francisco's push for low-flow toilets is saving water – at a smelly price.

Use of the low-flow toilets has cut city water consumption by 20 million gallons a year, Public Utilities Commission spokesman Tyrone Jue told the San Francisco Chronicle.

But the cost is both monetary and olfactory.

Because water flow isn't pushing the waste through the system fast enough, a stinky sludge is building up in the sewers, the Chronicle reports. It's blamed for a rotten-egg smell wafting through areas of the city, especially during summer, according to the report.

So the city is spending $14 million to buy a three-year supply of concentrated bleach to combat the sewer odor, disinfect treated water before it's pumped into San Francisco Bay and sanitize tap water.

The plan is drawing criticism from environmental advocates.

"Using sodium hypochlorite, commonly known as bleach, is the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to crack an egg; it's the wrong tool, and it will cause irreversible collateral damage," San Francisco chemical engineer Adam Lowry and German chemist Michael Braungart wrote in a Chronicle op-ed.

Their solution to the stink: either dumping hydrogen peroxide into the sewers or "a pro-biotic solution, that is, enzymes or bacteria that would simply 'eat' the smell then degrade harmlessly.""

Source:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/01/low-flow-toilets-cause-stink-in-san-francisco/?hpt=Sbin

I guess Government intervention and regulation really works...if you want your city to smell like an outhouse.

MasterKiller
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
You do realize that 85% of San Francisco's drinking water comes from 167 miles away?

Syn7
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
what??? they have water??? then why do they owe us billions upon billions in back debt for fresh water???

oh yeah, and pay your bills deadbeats... my quality of life would be much better if california actually honored its contracts...

BJJ-Blue
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
It doesn't matter where they get their water from. Everything was working just fine before Big Government got involved. They institued these low-flows, and as the article says, they are the cause of the smell. And then when a solution is found, they are against that too!

Syn7
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
i hate them lil toilets... when you sit down, if you arent careful, you get your johnson wet... i guess the lil guys wont notice;) but i find it very annoying...

honestly, i couldnt care any less about california smelling bad... i just want my motherfukcing money!!!!!!!!!

nothing could stink worse than LA anyways... when i drive down the coast, i take the 5 hour detour to avoid LA all together... I HATE THAT PLACE... if it fell into a big crevice and disapeared forever i would count that as a blessing... i bet frisco would smell better too... ;)

MasterKiller
03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
It doesn't matter where they get their water from. Everything was working just fine before Big Government got involved. They institued these low-flows, and as the article says, they are the cause of the smell. And then when a solution is found, they are against that too!

Well, it matters because A) California doesn't have enough natural water to support itself (like most Western states) and B) it has to buy water from other sources, which sometimes affects other communities in other states (particularly, farmers). So, it makes sense to ration.

And I don't think pouring Bleach into drinking water is the best solution for anyone.

David Jamieson
03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Low flow is part of the solution to wasting water.
The infrastructure should be upgraded to accommodate the low flow and not the other way round.

a one time cost and project would create jobs and provide the city with ongoing savings on the precious commodity that is fresh water.

mickey
03-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Gentlemen,

This is such a fecal matter.

All you have to do is recycle the funk and you will accomplish all of the aforementioned.

mickey

BJJ-Blue
03-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Well, it matters because A) California doesn't have enough natural water to support itself (like most Western states) and B) it has to buy water from other sources, which sometimes affects other communities in other states (particularly, farmers). So, it makes sense to ration.

San Francisco wasn't living in a drought situation before the low-flows. And what's wrong with allowing consumers to decide what amount of water they want to use as long as they pay for it? Isn't that a basic freedom? We're Americans for God's sake, we shouldn't be living in cities that smell like outhouses and cities the lights don't stay on. And notice this always happens in California. This should be a lesson we can all learn from; listen to big gov't and environmentalists, and your standard of living will go down.

And if rationing means the city smells like an outhouse, is that the trade off we really want?

And I don't think pouring Bleach into drinking water is the best solution for anyone.

The article wasn't clear, but not all of it goes to drinking water. It said some of that water is pumped into the Bay.

MasterKiller
03-02-2011, 10:11 AM
San Francisco wasn't living in a drought situation before the low-flows. And what's wrong with allowing consumers to decide what amount of water they want to use as long as they pay for it? Isn't that a basic freedom? We're Americans for God's sake, we shouldn't be living in cities that smell like outhouses and cities the lights don't stay on. And notice this always happens in California. This should be a lesson we can all learn from; listen to big gov't and environmentalists, and your standard of living will go down. Because then rich people buy all the water they want for their lawns and pools, etc... which limits the amount of water available for the average person. Nevada and Arizona also ration water, and here in Oklahoma I am usually only allowed to water my lawn every other day during July and August. Potable water is a limited resource, and other developed countries are starting to face water shortages, too, such as Australia.

And if rationing means the city smells like an outhouse, is that the trade off we really want? If they don't ration, a stinky city may be the least of their problems.

Syn7
03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
yeah they ration water like a motherfukcer in cali... they even do it here and we have waaaay more than we could ever consume... but even we have to conserve cause we're carrying so many other states and provinces that over use or just dont have enough to begin with...

BJJ-Blue
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Because then rich people buy all the water they want for their lawns and pools, etc... which limits the amount of water available for the average person. Nevada and Arizona also ration water, and here in Oklahoma I am usually only allowed to water my lawn every other day during July and August. Potable water is a limited resource, and other developed countries are starting to face water shortages, too, such as Australia.

I understand, and that is true.

We get the water rationing here at times. It's usually just what days you can/cant water your yard. But despite those (temporary) laws, our city does not smell like an outhouse during our rationing.

And no matter how much the rich people were buying for their yards/pools/etc before the low-flows were forced on the city, people were not dying in the streets of thirst.

If they don't ration, a stinky city may be the least of their problems.

Again, they didn't have any problems before the low-flows. And I don't know if you have ever used one (I have, but never in any homes I've lived in), but they are counterproductive anyway. Instead of one flush, you gotta flush the stupid things more than once many times. This is a common gripe/observation too, it's not just me saying this.

This is just another example of a liberal feel-good PC solution exascerbating the problem.

Drake
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
We are using more than is available in terms of resources. I think the use of a probiotic, natural bacterial method is a great idea. Bleach... probably not the smartest.

Water rationing wasn't working there, and they needed a solution. What do you suggest, BJJ, use resources that aren't available? This isn't even about money any more. It's about how much water is available. You can't buy your way out of this one. You either use less water, or have none.

BJJ-Blue
03-03-2011, 07:45 AM
What do you suggest, BJJ, use resources that aren't available?

I've already said what I would do, go back to the way it was. There weren't people dying of thirst all over the city. IMO, it's just another example of liberals using fear mongering to get freedom-killing legislation passed.

This is America, we solve problems. We don't need nannies telling us how to live. Let the private sector fix it. I actually saw a show a few days ago about advances in desalinating sea water for human consumption. There is money in it, so there will be more innovations in this. People are motivated by profit, like it or not. And motivation breeds innnovation.

Drake
03-03-2011, 09:41 AM
They DO have a problem...

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-05-02/news/17152977_1_water-rationing-rationing-last-year-contra-costa-and-alameda

GeneChing
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Because then rich people buy all the water they want for their lawns and pools, etc... which limits the amount of water available for the average person. Where ever did you get that impression of CA? The Beverly Hillbillies? "Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars." ;) Seriously, CA water goes to CA agribusiness. We've turned the desert of the central valley into agribiz and that takes a lot of water. I suppose you could call that pools and lawns for the rich, but it also provides food.

When lo-flow toilets were first introduced, they were a little dicey. But the design has improved and I've never had any issue with them since. We installed some in our home that are efficient, quiet and reduced our water bill. As for those of you who have to flush twice, you crap too much. Obviously you crap too much. Just look at our forum here. It's so full of your crap. :p

MasterKiller
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Where ever did you get that impression of CA? The Beverly Hillbillies? "Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars." ;) Seriously, CA water goes to CA agribusiness. We've turned the desert of the central valley into agribiz and that takes a lot of water. I suppose you could call that pools and lawns for the rich, but it also provides food :p

50% of potable water used in L.A. goes to maintaining landscaping. Once they started restricting watering in 2008, the water usage dropped to 1979 levels, despite having 1 million more residents.

GeneChing
03-03-2011, 11:49 AM
And is sure ain't SF.

MasterKiller
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
And is sure ain't SF.

Nevertheless, 85% of San Francisco's potable water is imported, which essentially means it is not self-sufficient and therefore rationing makes perfect sense.

GeneChing
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM
We've had water issues for years. There's always been a north/south split with the SF Bay Area and LA. Locals here place a lot of blame on LA for stealing our water, but agribiz takes the biggest gulp before SF or LA ever gets a swallow.

Truth be told, I just chimed in here because I wanted to say to everyone "Obviously you crap too much. Just look at our forum here. It's so full of your crap." Debate me against that now, MK. ;)

MasterKiller
03-03-2011, 12:24 PM
"Obviously you crap too much. Just look at our forum here. It's so full of your crap." Debate me against that now, MK. ;)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5q8hwWkfG1qzd3rjo1_500.jpg

GeneChing
03-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Reminds me of my pilgrimage to India. Only we didn't have gum wrappers. :o