PDA

View Full Version : Handgun training within the context of the Martial arts.

Daedalus
08-23-2001, 06:12 PM
Recently, I have implemented a handgun training course that my students must complete in order to get their black sash and instructor liscense.

My reasoning for this is that I feel that the more that you know about handling a handgun, the better you will be prepared to defend against it.

I also do this with knives. My students are taught how to fight with a knife because it gives them insight into how to effectivily defend against a knife.

what do you guys think?

JerryLove
08-23-2001, 06:42 PM
We used to teach firearms from the get-go. However, it actually scared off quite a few people. Now it's moved later in the cirriculum, excepting private students seeking it.

Knife training is constant, though we don't really point out what it is until about the end of year 2.

dnc101
09-21-2001, 06:26 PM
I think it is an excellent idea not only to know firearms disarmament, but how to use firearms as well. And I would teach long guns and automatic weapons as well. My firearms training is seperate from my martial arts training, but I consider it an integral part of any well rounded martial discipline.

One resource you may not have thought of (and I'm going to tke a lot of flack for this) is Jerry Petersons SCARS firearm disarmament serries. I don't use the SCARS system, but he actually has some good stuff on pistol, rifle and shotgun disarmament. We modified some of it to fit Kenpo and some of the other styles of my training partners as well as some local police, and it worked well. Give it a try before you decide to shoot me.

rogue
09-22-2001, 02:51 AM
We're a basic school, no weapons what so ever. Fortunatly for me I have access to some shooting instructors. Right now I'm trying to get my instructor to work in some knife work.

Cheaper than the SCARS tapes are the Randy Warner & Bob Taylor "Unarmed and Fearless" tapes from TRS, highly recommended.

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us-gads.gif
Never forget