PDA

View Full Version : Shifu Patrick Hodges

Oso
03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Is anyone still in contact with him?

My last contact with him was over 8 years ago. Got to thinking about things and remembered his generous nature and goodwill towards a younger me and wondered how he was doing.

He was in Hawaii at that time.

mooyingmantis
03-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Is anyone still in contact with him?

My last contact with him was over 8 years ago. Got to thinking about things and remembered his generous nature and goodwill towards a younger me and wondered how he was doing.

He was in Hawaii at that time.

I know a few mantis instructors teaching today that were blessed by his willingness to freely share his knowledge. Though I never personally corresponded with him, I was priviledged to have received copies of a few of the tapes he sent to others.

Royal Dragon
03-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Patrick Hodges was a great help to me with my Tai Tzu research years ago. He had a lot of contacts and bits of info, that when followed up on led me to some excellent discoveries about the various arts that carry the Tai tzu name.

I too lost contact with him around the same time as Oso. so have others who used to correspond with him.

I may be mistaken, because of how much time has gone by, but I seem to remember he was in California (from Hawaii) when he and I were corresponding.

I have video of him doing an Eagle Claw set, and I knew him to teach Bagua. I am now finding out he also taught Mantis, Tai Chi.

Tai Tzu is an art he dabbled in, rather than knew well, but he seemed to know a lot about it and had contacts in Taiwan with the Tai Tzu community there.

I too am wondering what happened to him.

Dale Dugas
03-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Shifu Hodges is alive and well in Hawaii.

He recently contacted me to get more Iron Palm information as well as medicine to train with.

He is a gentleman and an incredible scholar of the martial arts.

Oso
03-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Excellent! Thank you, Dale.

I'll PM you with my email if you would be so kind as to fwd to him. He may not remember me as it's been a decade but the Boone, NC connection my remind him.

mooyingmantis
03-07-2011, 07:55 PM
He also did at least one or two northern monkey forms.

It seems the man is an encyclopedia of martial arts knowledge.

Royal Dragon
03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Dale,
If you would be so kind, both I and Sal Canzonieri were discussing him about a year or so ago. Maybe you could let him know to say hello?

Maybe invite him to this thread if you can?

lance
03-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Patrick Hodges was a great help to me with my Tai Tzu research years ago. He had a lot of contacts and bits of info, that when followed up on led me to some excellent discoveries about the various arts that carry the Tai tzu name.

I too lost contact with him around the same time as Oso. so have others who used to correspond with him.

I may be mistaken, because of how much time has gone by, but I seem to remember he was in California (from Hawaii) when he and I were corresponding.

I have video of him doing an Eagle Claw set, and I knew him to teach Bagua. I am now finding out he also taught Mantis, Tai Chi.

Tai Tzu is an art he dabbled in, rather than knew well, but he seemed to know a lot about it and had contacts in Taiwan with the Tai Tzu community there.

I too am wondering what happened to him.

Yes , I know this Shifu I was once learning lung fu from him a great man , he ' s the one shifu that encouraged me to do research on other kung fu systems or
styles in general .

It was during the chinese new year celebration in Hawaii , because I ' m from Hawaii too . Anyway , he was doing a kung fu demo on stage at the Ala Moana center stage , they also had a lion dance and a kung fu demo .
So i ended up talking to him too , he was doing a praying mantis set and to me it was good . What I really did ' nt know was that he also taught some people baji too , and if I ' m not mistaken he even taught this guy choy li fut too .

The group that was performing along with him was Wah Ghai they had asked Shifu Hodges to perform his kung fu set on stage . This group happen to break away from a club called Jung Moo ( Chinese Physical Culture Assn . ) The reason why thi happened was because half of the group wanted to stick to the fut san version of lion dancing and the younger half of the group wanted to do the Hok
San version of lion dancing .

But Shifu Hodges expertise is mostly in chinese kung fu rather than lion dancing though , he helps certain kung fu clubs in Hawaii with either kung fu and lion dance performances too . At the time when I was training with him he was producing his own video tapes on different kung fu system they were all instructional materials . He does his own research of diifferent system of kung fu through video and book materials , but now he does DVDs . His son Sam is also into lion dancing and kung fu too .

The last time I saw him he was couple days into turning into 60 years old but he still is good shape . I learned a lot from , when I was learning from him I learning a fut gar set which he learned from Shifu Andrew Lum in Hawaii . I think after 2 years of training with him , he could ' nt treach me already , because he was going
to get busy working 2 jobs , and I was going to join another kung fu club in Hawaii . Because my friend was already a member already .
But we still talk to eachother when we see eachother .

Take Care ,
Baijong

Dale Dugas
03-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Dale,
If you would be so kind, both I and Sal Canzonieri were discussing him about a year or so ago. Maybe you could let him know to say hello?

Maybe invite him to this thread if you can?

I have invited Shifu Hodges and sent him the link to the thread.

Hoping all is well with he and the rest of you guys.