PDA

View Full Version : Could kyokushinkai prepare you for Muay Thai?

phantom
08-30-2001, 10:16 PM
I have heard that many practitioners of American kickboxing started off in kyokushinkai. What about Muay Thai? Would studying kyokushinkai help prepare you for Muay Thai training and sparring? Thanks in advance.

Stranger
08-30-2001, 11:40 PM
Some kyokushin schools train with gloves and allow face punches in a portion of their class. If you trained like this you would be prepared. Train in both and you would be a terror in standup IMO>

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

old jong
08-31-2001, 03:51 PM
Guys in my neighborhood Kyokushinkai dojo break baseball bats with their shins!...They are tough!
I think the adaptation would be easy! ;)

You don't want to see my critial points!...

S.Teebas
08-31-2001, 04:57 PM
Yeah, when i trained in kyokashinkai (very short amount)i saw my shihan break 3 bats taped together. If you want a lesson/inspiration in hard training...then follow these guys!

Stranger
09-01-2001, 05:50 AM
Rent "FIGHTING BLACK KINGS". It is a 1975 documentary on an openweight bare knuckle karate tournament created by the Kyokushinkai. They show the tournie, kata demoes, breaking demoes, and a shodan test.

The film has propaganda-esque qualities in that "real fighting karate" is promoted as superior to kung fu. It looked like the kung fu guys they got to fight were unimpressive tomatoes. MT guys fight in the tournie as well. The Japanese Kyokushin fighters take first, second, and third place. All non-kykushin guys were out fairly early in the tournie (with the exception of one MT fighter).

Shidokan tournies would be an opportunity to see Kyokushin guys fight MT style. First two rounds are bare knuckle karate, second two rounds are with gloves and MT rules, and the last two rounds are with MMA gloves takedowns are allowed and groundfighting for 30 sec. at a pop.

K-1 has some kyokushin fighters.

Download Bas Rutten's video on SHerdog's web site and you'll see hime drop Frank Shamrock several times with a Kyokushin punch to the stomach.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Grappling-Insanity
09-01-2001, 07:56 AM
I wouldnt say it prepares you, however it will make you tuff ;)