PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Claw sparring/fighting footage

Violent Designs
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Been trying for ages to find Eagle Claw in practice but can't. Anyone wanna help me?

ShaolinDan
03-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Well, all I've ever found online are some dated clips from a college group my Sigong started (Bak Shaolin Eagle Claw), but they are sport fights and there aren't any actual claws to see, I think. I'm afraid you'll find it 'looks like kickboxing.'

Good luck...if you find anything good, I'd like to see it too.

ShaolinDan
03-11-2011, 06:23 AM
By the way... Most Eagle Claw is Northern, not southern...wrong forum I think.

Violent Designs
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I thought Lily Lau's stuff was Southern Eagle Claw?

I know there is two.

What are the differences? Thanks!

CLFNole
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
No Lily Lau is Northern Eagle Claw as is most eagle claw. I think southern eagle claw might be of a Fukien nature and is more short hand but not sure if it is hakka-like or not.

Violent Designs
03-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh I see.

Time to do some research it seems. :cool:

ShaolinDan
03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, Lau family is Northern.
I don't know anything about the Southern style. I have heard that it is completely unrelated to Northern, just taken from the same animal. Supposedly that is where the three fingered technique portrayed so often in movies comes from...
Northern eagle claw is a lot like praying mantis, as far as basic fighting techniques go, I'm told.

jdhowland
03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
My sifu has ying jau paai from his uncle, Tse Wing bun. I haven't heard of anyone using it in open competition. To me it looks like standard longfist but with the addition of specialized kam na training. My sifu didn't teach the sets but added two aspects of the system to his white crane: the ground rolling and leg takedowns from a ground fighting position and the grip training exercises. I suppose the rest was redundant.

cerebus
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I've heard of a Choy Lay Fut Eagle Claw set, but I don't know anything about it...