PDA

View Full Version : Bjj vs judo

Tainan Mantis
09-01-2001, 01:50 PM
Comparing techniques and training methods of bjj and Japanese judo how is one superior to the other?

Ryu
09-01-2001, 03:47 PM
BJJ spends more time on newaza than Judo, and most of the time is trained at a higher level. For the ground game, BJJ has the edge because of the vast amount of time they spend only grappling. Kosen judo can give it a run for its money, but even they may not spend as much time on the ground.
Judo, however, has an edge in throwing and (depending on the pratitioner) can easily dump a man on his head before the fight even hits the ground. Anyone who has been thrown full force by a good judoka knows how intense, scary, and mentally defeating it is.

In my opinion (and this is very controversial) BJJ should stand for "Brazilian judo" because I feel that BJJ is judo newaza trained at a very high level. Because of this new moves, and such are found in the repotoire (sp?)
Both however can be devastating if applied right.
On the ground, BJJ has the advantage.
If you want to throw someone on concrete...judo has the edge.

The best idea is to train both. ;)

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimura1.gif

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Sharky
09-01-2001, 04:32 PM
ryu i'm gonna be training judo and jujutsu soon... so be prepared for an ONSLAUGHT of questions :)

================================================== ==========================

"What you wan' cry fo? You know that my hammer is heavy and it got kick like tae kwon do, now you gwarn die slow... I'ma show you how to stretch a m0ther****er if you wanna watch tae bo"

NafAnal
09-01-2001, 05:52 PM
So you're just taking those two? what about the wing chun?

Sharky
09-01-2001, 06:18 PM
no i'll be taking a striking art too. I think (hoping rather) that the two will compliment each other, and my grappling style. So, to break it down, i would like to do 1/4 JJ, a 1/4 Judo, and 1/2 striking (wing chun hopefully - if there is a good school).

Actually the striking will take up more than half my training schedule but u know what i mean - jj and judo classes are at different times do i get a bit more felxability in my timetable :) I'll just call it "grappling" :D

Edd

"What you wan' cry fo? You know that my hammer is heavy and it got kick like tae kwon do, now you gwarn die slow... I'ma show you how to stretch a m0ther****er if you wanna watch tae bo"

Anarcho
09-01-2001, 06:23 PM
I think JJJ has striking in it, but I'm not sure what it's like...

Sharky
09-01-2001, 06:30 PM
tbh, it might not even be Japanese jujutsu, but they just called it JJ on the webby (the list of ma's at the school) so i'm guessin it was Japanese cos if it was brasilian they wouldn't have shut up about it.

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.

Anarcho
09-01-2001, 06:47 PM
I think the Brazilian variety is always spelled JiuJitsu, or something. And you're right, they probably would have made a big deal out of it.

Mr. Nemo
09-01-2001, 07:36 PM
For an entertaining seminar on the pluses and minuses of judo, take this question to the underground forum at mixedmartialarts.com and title it "Attn: Luke Beston"

Sharky
09-01-2001, 08:31 PM
right thats it, i've tried for the love of god *NOT* to join any other forums but i give in, i'ma have to join.

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.

Sharky
09-01-2001, 08:34 PM
jesus, that is one UGLY site. I'm sick of BADLY DESIGNED website - a reason i really like kfo.

Mr. Nemo
09-01-2001, 10:27 PM
Seeing as you actually took me seriously, I will adjust my statement. creating the "ATTN: Luke Beston" thread will get you nowhere if you want to learn about judo.

If you want to learn about trolling technique, however, by all means.... Beston is a well known master troll. He's actually entertaining, very entertaining, which is the best kind.

Martial Joe
09-01-2001, 10:37 PM
I go to that site and I see Guy Mezger and Evlis Sinosic posting.

Its pretty neet but the way they set that forum up sucks horribly!

By the way I am starting BJJ and Wrestling...
This is my game plan.

I have my wing chun for my stand up and some other neet stuff...I have the wrestling for the great takedowns and whatever good comes with it.
And I have BJJ for when I am on the ground after the nice takedown...

Now thats just something good right there.
I talk a guy who fights under Chris Brennan
named Buck and he told me how he uses his wrestling and BJJ and it is basicaly what I am doing with it.Sharky ou may want to look into what I am talking about...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

GinSueDog
09-01-2001, 10:47 PM
Martial Joe,
Buck has some sweet takedown techniques, not to mention that his ground game is pretty tight but he has got to have the worst case of cauliflower ear I have ever seen in my life.-ED

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

Martial Joe
09-01-2001, 10:54 PM
What does that mean...there is white ooze coming out of his ears durring a fight??

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Grappling-Insanity
09-02-2001, 12:27 AM
Califlower ear is when the fluids in your ear build up from constant rubbing on the ground. The end result is your ears kina puff out and you get the disfigured type look :( .

GinSueDog
09-02-2001, 01:27 AM
Martial Joe,
It is when the ear swells with fuild and becomes mis-shapened. Normally if you drain the ear right away you can prevent it from becoming too bad, but that isn't always the case. Even if drained right away, you may have to drain it more then once and the fuild will harden creating the cauliflower ear appearence. Some BJJ guys try to develop cauliflower ear on purpose and others wear it as a badge of honor so to speak. When you show up to your first BJJ class you will see first hand what I am talking about.-ED

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

Tainan Mantis
09-02-2001, 06:39 AM
for an educational answer.
This brings up the question, what is NEWAZA?
Also, I'm doing a lot of throws in kung fu now. How many throws can most people take per day before over training sets in? I don't mean newbies, but healthy 3+ years of training without quitting in between?
For example: if I get thrown 30 times today I don't want to get thrown again for a couple of days.