View Full Version : Elements of instruction

SPJ
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
in judo there are 4 elements of instruction

1. randori, free practice/sparring.

2. katas, forms.

3. kogi, lectures about theory

4. mondo, questions and answers.

what are elements of your style/school instructions?

any lectures about principles or theories or none exist in your school?

:)

jdhowland
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
We have all of the above.

Our school is pretty heavy on the lecture aspect because we don't do much in the way of prescribed technique for sparring drills. The concepts are more important than the particular method used. In our type of teaching this means that the student does not learn simple block and counterpunch drills so it is necessary that he learn concepts in order to be able to feel the effect and self-evaluate his power and structure.

I spend more time on form and power development than sparring drills, more time on sparring drills than free sparring, and more time than I should on lectures.

When I studied Japanese arts no questions were allowed in most training sessions but were okay after training. This is a good idea. It seems to set up an expectation of non-verbal training which enhances practice. My teachers from China were fairly tolerant of questions during training.

YouKnowWho
03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
In Chinese wrestling, there are:

- solo drills,
- 2 men drills,
- equipment training,
- wrestling.

There are principles such as 4 sides, 2 doors, butterfly hands, defense and counter, entering strategy, ...

SPJ
03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
when I was learning tong bei, ba ji and mantis

1. we were shown a technique/posture, we drill it over and over.

we also learn how to counter at the same time.

2. yes, we drill 2 man or move and counter move with partner

3. theory discussion or lectures came much later.

only when we had good "feels" or learned some basic moves

the theory parts then helped us.

--

:)

Violent Designs
03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
My sifu usually gives us a lecture when we're getting something wrong, or even right at times, and he goes on and on about the intricacies.

It's awesome.

Lee Chiang Po
03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
What happened to breakfall training? It should be your very first step. You will have to let your training partners throw you so you can then practice throwing them. Without proper training you will never make it through the first stages of training without serious injury.

YouKnowWho
03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
What happened to breakfall training?

The breakfall training can be integrated with the throwing training. When your opponent throws you, he trains the throw and you train the breakfall at the same time (kill 2 birds with 1 stone).