PDA

View Full Version : returning to training

shaolin_allan
03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Hey everyone I finally started training kung fu again with my sifu after a hiatus for various reasons. I was just wondering who else has had to take time off from it and what good or bad things did you find out from doing so? I felt like at one point all I ever did was talk about training again but never did.

Punch.HeadButt
03-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I guess it depends on how long the hiatus is. I find that I actually benefit from occasionally "stepping away so I can come back". Sometimes I'll be out of technique training for a couple weeks (whilst keeping up some kind of conditioning), and when I come back some things "click" that weren't clicking before. Whatever I lost comes back rather quickly, and with the benefit of whatever has newly "clicked".

Longer training breaks are no good (for me) though...the worst is not being able to do things as long, as fast, as strong, or as well as I once was able to before the break. You get that "****** I have to start all over" feeling and it's a drag. The only reason I'd take such a break now is injury (previously I had just lost interest and gained apathy for a few months).

RickMatz
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I took off several years when my kids were young and their well being and activities were far more important than anything I wanted to do for myself. I'm selfish that way.

Eventually they grew and I got my time back.

When I returned to training, I had a more mature outlook. That was the principal advantage.

The main disadvantage was that my body didn't move quite the way I remembered.

rachard1583
04-13-2011, 06:17 AM
As practitioners of reality-based self-defense, we constantly strive to train as realistically as possible, knowing full well that the outcome of any self-defense encounter in large part rests on the techniques we use to protect ourselves and our loved ones from those twisted thugs who would seek to harm that which we hold dear.

russian martial arts (http://www.kgb-militaryschool.com/view/video )