PDA

View Full Version : Don't donate money to Japan

BJJ-Blue
03-16-2011, 10:23 AM
No, this is not what I think btw. This article was posted by liberal Felix Salmon.

"Individuals are doing it, banks are doing it — faced with the horrific news and pictures from Japan, everybody wants to do something, and the obvious thing to do is to donate money to some relief fund or other.

Please don’t.

We went through this after the Haiti earthquake, and all of the arguments which applied there apply to Japan as well. Earmarking funds is a really good way of hobbling relief organizations and ensuring that they have to leave large piles of money unspent in one place while facing urgent needs in other places. And as Matthew Bishop and Michael Green said last year, we are all better at responding to human suffering caused by dramatic, telegenic emergencies than to the much greater loss of life from ongoing hunger, disease and conflict. That often results in a mess of uncoordinated NGOs parachuting in to emergency areas with lots of good intentions, where a strategic official sector response would be much more effective. Meanwhile, the smaller and less visible emergencies where NGOs can do the most good are left unfunded.

In the specific case of Japan, there’s all the more reason not to donate money. Japan is a wealthy country which is responding to the disaster, among other things, by printing hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of new money. Money is not the bottleneck here: if money is needed, Japan can raise it. On top of that, it’s still extremely unclear how or where organizations like globalgiving intend on spending the money that they’re currently raising for Japan — so far we’re just told that the money “will help survivors and victims get necessary services,” which is basically code for “we have no idea what we’re going to do with the money, but we’ll probably think of something.”

Globalgiving, it’s worth pointing out, was created to support “projects in the developing world,” where lack of money is much more of a problem than it is in Japan. I’m not at all convinced that the globalgiving model can or should be applied directly to Japan, without much if any thought about whether it’s the best way to address the issues there.

That said, it’s entirely possible that organizations like the Red Cross or Save the Children will find themselves with important and useful roles to play in Japan. It’s also certain that they have important and useful roles to play elsewhere. So do give money to them — and give generously! And give money to other NGOs, too, like Doctors Without Borders (MSF), which don’t jump on natural disasters and use them as opportunistic marketing devices. Just make sure it’s unrestricted. The official MSF position is exactly right:

The ability of MSF teams to provide rapid and targeted medical care to those most in need in more than 60 countries around the world – whether in the media spotlight or not – depends on the generous general contributions of our donors worldwide. For this reason, MSF does not issue appeals for support for specific emergencies and this is why we do not include an area to specify a donation purpose on our on-line donation form. MSF would not have been able to act so swiftly in response to the emergency in Haiti, as an example, if not for the ongoing general support from our donors. So we always ask our supporters to consider making an unrestricted contribution.

I’ve just donated $400 in unrestricted funds to MSF. Some of it might go to Japan; all of it will go to areas where it’s sorely needed. I’d urge you to do the same, rather than try to target money at whichever disaster might be in the news today.

Update: Some bright spark has set up a “Socks for Japan” drive. I’m not making this up. I trust that none of my readers are silly enough to send socks to Japan, but this is a great indication of how wasteful a lot of well-intentioned giving can be."

Source:
http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/03/14/dont-donate-money-to-japan/

I thought liberals always want to help people in trouble? Well, at least he is honest about it, unlike most liberals. LMFAO at 'just print more money'.

Lucas
03-16-2011, 10:28 AM
while what happened is a total trajedy i tend to agree with the mindset that there are others in more need of funds. not saying Japan is not in need of help, but financially if I am going to give my money to a foreign country for aid, there are others far higher on the list than Japan in actual need of Funds. Japan is not poor. dont get me wrong, i dont hate, im just realistic.

sanjuro_ronin
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I donate to the groups that are always there, regardless, like red cross, doctors without borders, habitat for humanity, etc.

David Jamieson
03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I donate to the groups that are always there, regardless, like red cross, doctors without borders, habitat for humanity, etc.

These proven organizations receive regularly from our family as well and overall, I do agree with the article.

Throwing money at this problem is not the answer and as much as everyone wants to get involved, it is unrealistic for that to happen.

Organized logistics, search and rescue teams, nuclear teams, clean up teams, and all the heavy equipment required is there already.

And the reference to the Haiti nonsense is not lost on me. It's been more than a year there with billions raised and the place is still a mess and same or worse than it was before.

Haiti in january of 2011
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/01/07/article-1344984-0CAC1548000005DC-529_634x425.jpg

I guarantee you that Japan will not look like that in a year.

Check out Kobe from last year
http://www.wefly4fun.com/Japan-Dateien/Kobe-W.jpg

To look at it, you can't tell that the city was leveled not so long ago.

BJJ-Blue
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Japan is not poor. dont get me wrong, i dont hate, im just realistic.

Actually, you're wrong.

List of National Debt by Country
Levels of Public Debt as a % of GDP from 2009 est

1 Zimbabwe 304.30 %
2 Japan 192.10
3 Saint Kitts and Nevis 185.00
4 Lebanon 160.10
5 Jamaica 131.70
6 Singapore 117.60
7 Italy 115.20
8 Greece 108.10
9 Sudan 104.50
10 Iceland 100.60

Source:
http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/economics/list-of-national-debt-by-country/

"Japan’s national debt up to 836 trillion yen at end of June

Japan’s national debt was up to 836,521 trillion yen at the end of June, The Ministry of Finance announced on Friday, the Sankei Shimbun reports.
The national debt is now, at 2,14 trillion yen higher than at the end of March, at its highest ever, but because of increased GDP, the debt to GDP ratio still decreased somewhat - 150.0% of the GDP (GDP as of March 2007), compared to the 2006 estmitate 175.5%.

If split up on the entire population of Japan (127,770,000 as of August 1), the national debt equals 6,66 million yen per person."

Source:
http://www.japannewsreview.com/business/business/20070824page_id=1735

Lucas
03-16-2011, 03:14 PM
sure they have a lot of debt...so do we. now is their debt far higher than ours, but we are still trillions in debt ourselves yet we dont consider ourselves poor...there is alot going on in japan. poor countries dont clone mammoths...

oh and that many trillions of yen is like 10 trillion dollars. we are like what 14 trillion dollars in debt? so i guess by your standard we are more poor than them. cool

Drake
03-16-2011, 03:26 PM
I donated to the Japan rescue effort. And no, I don't feel bad about it.

You can come up with as many reasons as you like for not donating, but that ultimately rests upon you.

Lucas
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
im not saying not to donate, i could not care any less about what people do with their money, for instance I sponsor a family in cambodia, and have for the past 5 years, and I have a few other charities that I help. Mostly with my own personal time and physical body. no one is made of money however. but dont show me a debt thats lower than mine and say they are more poor than me lol.

i bet you i make less than you or 1bad anyway :p

Lucas
03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
dont get me wrong, im not saying no one should donate to japan. just that personally there are many other recipients in line far above them for my hard earned dollars...which are not being earned fast enough i might add lol

Syn7
03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
anyone notice all the articles about the danger of a tsunami on the west coast? every time i check out local news i see a piece about "what if"... kind of annoying...

we dont have any nuclear power plants in BC... infact i think there are only 3 in canada? not positive... two in ontario near the borders and lakes and one in quebec, also near the border. no doubt supplying alot to the states...

on the west coast here, the closest ones we have are in washington state... they have two i think... pretty far away from me tho... and im okay with that... i would be ****ed if they opened one near me... im pretty sure BC has a ban on nuclear power... there was drama over whether we would even allow american ships to come thru our waters or dock here if they have nukes... i think we turned a few away, and it caused some tension.

in vancouver you see random signs here and there that say "this is a nuclear free zone", meaning the whole province, i think...

Syn7
03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Rush Limbaugh Laughs About Japan - Cenk's Take

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBskDv4LvwM

BJJ-Blue
03-17-2011, 07:48 AM
i bet you i make less than you or 1bad anyway :p

I've been rich since 1992 according to Bill Clinton.

BJJ-Blue
03-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Rush Limbaugh Laughs About Japan - Cenk's Take

If you actually listen to the ENTIRE segment, you will see he is laughing at Diane Sawyer for pointing in the midst of all the suffering, rescue efforts, aid efforts, etc that the refugee camps had already set up recycling bins. I got from it that his point was that to a liberal like Ms Sawyer, the most important part of the disaster relief was the recycling.

And yes, he also laughed at the "Gaia crowd" that Gaia had this tsunami wipe out the Prius factory. He was laughing at the irony of that, not the disaster itself imo. And fyi, it was a CALLER that said this part, Rush just laughed at his call/point.

Jimbo
03-17-2011, 10:22 AM
I live only about 45 to 50 miles from the San Onofre nuclear power plant. They've been saying that it's better and far safer than the ones in Japan, but who knows. The Japanese officials were so confident that theirs would stand up to whatever would come, but look now. People always think or say they have everything completely under control, but nature often has a way of proving otherwise.

I pretty much agree that Japan can handle its own financial issues, although Japan was already in an economic mess before this disaster.

Syn7
03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Kobe:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/309724/japanearthquakes/1237744551825h3.jpg

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/309724/japanearthquakes/1237744551832h10.jpg

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/309724/japanearthquakes/1237744551823h1.jpg