PDA

View Full Version : brazilian jiu jitsu (not sure on spelling) vs. muay thai

Mister Hansome
09-02-2001, 07:24 AM
i am just wondering which of these arts would have an advantage over the other? i am talking about two martial artist with the same potential, with the same time of traing, and with adequet and good teachers. Both being arogent of each others arts only doing what they were taught.

i personally think the grappling moves of the brazilian arts would have a slight advantage but the muay thai kicks should be deadly.

Lets say no rules in a big ring with no boundries.
No supporters or anything to disturb the fighters.

Give me your opinion on what would be resulted from this.

Thanks, grateful for any replies (except put downs, of course). :D

:) :( :o :D ;) :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :p :confused:

Real Wisdom comes through experience!

MixedMartialArtist
09-04-2001, 04:58 PM
Here's the thing:
1) if the MT guy can connect with one or two WELL PLACED kicks (ie to the knees) the fight is over and the MTer walks away, the BJJer isn't walking for a while

2) if the BJJer can close the gap and execute a takedown, the BJJer wins and the MTer is taken to the hospital.

3)if the BJJer shoots, and the MTer can connect with a few knees or elbows before the takedown, the MTer wins

It all depends on who happens to make the first mistake. Both styles are extremely effective at their respective ranges. In a NHB situation, these two styles are nearly polar opposites, and the fight depends more on timing, experience, and a bit of luck than anything.

Anarcho
09-06-2001, 12:37 AM
On the main forum there was a post about this a while ago, but it may have been lost in the recent purges. Someone said that they were involved in a NHB-style tournament involving three schools, a BJJ school, a muay thai school and a MMA school, I think. Anyway, the guys who'd done some groundwork won every match they had against the pure muay thai guys. In an NHB situation, it looks like you're not going to get by without having trained on the ground.

Watchman
09-06-2001, 08:30 AM
That was KnightSabre's thread. Run a search on his posts and you'll find it.

wingchunwsl
09-09-2001, 06:39 AM
i'd say overall, the bjj guy has more of an advantage. when a muy thai guy kicks, he has to make sure it can land hard. if not, then he's too vulnerable to get knocked down. once he's on the ground, he can't do anything cause he hasn't trained to be in that situation.